5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you dislike about your gen5 truck?

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
The rotary shifter sucks,the safety features that put the truck in park if the door or tailgate isn't shut tight,but overall I love the truck.

Chris_R

Reaction score
I dislike the entire truck. Been to the shop 3 times and is going back a fourth time for the AC issue. @RamCares provides information to help keep me updated but overall for a truck with no license plates on it yet this truck is poor quality.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dislike the entire truck. Been to the shop 3 times and is going back a fourth time for the AC issue. @RamCares provides information to help keep me updated but overall for a truck with no license plates on it yet this truck is poor quality.
Lately it seems like several people have been having these AC problems..sorry man that sucks. So far I really like my Ram but If my truck starts acting up I'll try Toyota.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Since I just experienced this again, I’d thought I’d add this just in case @RamCares is following this thread.

If I shut the truck off while it’s in tow/haul mode, then when I restart the truck, put it back in tow/haul mode! It remembers that I turned off the rear parking sensor, surely it can see a power draw over the trailer connector, why can’t it just assume I still need that!
You don't like that you have to put it back in tow/haul mode every time you start your truck? I'm not sure I disagree with you on that. But I have no sympathy for you because I have to disable MDS every time I shift into D :p

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The rotary shifter sucks,the safety features that put the truck in park if the door or tailgate isn't shut tight,but overall I love the truck.

I will disagree with you on both of these. I like the rotary shifter, took me 1 month or less to get used to it on my 2013, never looked back on my 2014 or my new 2020 either. Frees up nice storage space in the console.
"Spy" pictures of the upcoming Grand Cherokee redesign (2022 MY) show it is also moving to one, and a lot of the Dodges already have it. I am guessing that means its here to stay.

I won't get into the safety/door open Park thing. Its been beat to death in other threads, and I don't want to derail this one.

SoCalBogey

Reaction score
The only gripe I have is the shift knob. I hate it. I wish my Rebel has a regular console mounted shifter.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will disagree with you on both of these. I like the rotary shifter, took me 1 month or less to get used to it on my 2013, never looked back on my 2014 or my new 2020 either. Frees up nice storage space in the console.
"Spy" pictures of the upcoming Grand Cherokee redesign (2022 MY) show it is also moving to one, and a lot of the Dodges already have it. I am guessing that means its here to stay.

I won't get into the safety/door open Park thing. Its been beat to death in other threads, and I don't want to derail this one.

I don’t dislike the rotary shifter...but I dislike where they put it. Right next to all the other rotary pieces?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris_R

Reaction score
I was at the Toyota dealer the night before I bought my RAM. I regret walking away from the Toyota dealer each day. My RAM is worthless if I sell it now and go get a Toyota. The fuel economy, the 6 speed trans and the dated interior were factors on why I walked away from the Toyota. Never thought my RAM would be a lemon based on my prior experience with my 2006 1500.

antwon412

Reaction score
The newer Tundras are a nice truck. Too bad they are pretty dated though.
Sorry to hear about your RAM troubles.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Agree with others about not taking advantage of the 12” screen for the cameras. Also, at slow speeds moving forward when the front sensors start detecting things it should automatically turn on the front and surround view. Having to click backup, then surround view is dumb. Also, turn signal should turn on the appropriate camera at low speeds.
Nav database is not at all current. The bypass in West Maui around Lahaina isn’t new. Years old. In fairness a rental 2019 Expedition had the same problem. No updates available yet and my 2019 is an early 2018 build. Meanwhile my wife’s Subaru updates the database at least twice a year.

AC is definitely subpar and ventilated seats are simply noise makers.

Agree about occasional delays in step retraction, that’s super annoying and surprised I haven’t damaged mine yet.

Mirror tilt should be programmable just like 2006 Land Rover.

The pedestrian/ traffic collision both front and back are horrible, I’ve disabled both, but kept the alerts.

Still like it, and still love the look. Says a lot as I’m/was a diehard Ford guy.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also, at slow speeds moving forward when the front sensors start detecting things it should automatically turn on the front and surround view. Having to click backup, then surround view is dumb.
FWIW...one of the first changes many of us have made is to replace the default camera icon at the bottom right corner of the UConnect screen with the surround-view icon. Then it’s just one click to enable surround-view when moving forward into a parking space, drive-thru, etc.

Ramjeep

Reaction score
I agree with the rotary shifter. I get why but I truly hate it. Also why can't car play be the entire screen and why can't the interior lights use the light sensor to know when to dim ( they had this in Jeeps ). Last note is the sunroof why can't it just be one switch to control the sunroof like it was in the 4th gens. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing other than bigger tires from the factory lol :)

COSPILOT

Reaction score
FWIW...one of the first changes many of us have made is to replace the default camera icon at the bottom right corner of the UConnect screen with the surround-view icon. Then it’s just one click to enable surround-view when moving forward into a parking space, drive-thru, etc.
Dumb me, didn’t realize I could do that. Thanks for the tip!

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Funny thing.....
My first test drive, I did just that. The sales guy then thought that icon definitely should be there as it made a lot of sense
And right after that I favorited a couple XM stations

I knew then she was mine

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I Have no problems withe Rotary Shifter, my 2014 had and and same with my 2019. I had a Tahoe for a rental car with a column mounted shift, felt like I was back in 1980 again. Took three times as long to shift that clunky thing.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i plati dipped my hood emblems and got a viynal overylays

- I don't like the hood emblems
- I don't like all the chrome (but this was what the great lease deals were on, and that's totally personal preference)
- Power fold mirrors should auto-fold/unfold when parked/started
- All push button start vehicles should have the ability to unlock/lock without digging the fob out of my pocket
- The halogen headlights are ugly. LEDs should be standard (like my wife's Cherokee)
- The plastic on the tailgate should extend farther down to avoid fingerprints/scratches
- My Charger was smart enough to not dim the interior lights when the headlights came on w/ wipers, but it's still very bright out. (But my wife's Cherokee sucks in this regard too)

Besides those relatively minor items, this truck is great.

Attachments

• 9E89BD3B-8576-4FBD-9680-A0886DC55C44.jpeg
    9E89BD3B-8576-4FBD-9680-A0886DC55C44.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 37

Rollint

Reaction score
The ventilated seats suck (literally and figuratively)...why not have them blow air like pretty much every other manufacturer

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Vented seats do not “blow air” in fact they draw air out. It is designed to draw air from your bottom and back.

it works much better if the cab is cooled down before you use the vent seat a# it will then draw cool air down through the seat .

Rollint

Reaction score
Vented seats do not “blow air” in fact they draw air out. It is designed to draw air from your bottom and back.

it works much better if the cab is cooled down before you use the vent seat a# it will then draw cool air down through the seat .
Yeah in the ram it sucks, but in our Lexus it blows air out and it's much more effective

PaGregSS

Reaction score
1. Drives me nuts that on the Big Horn, I have push button start and keyless entry, but no unlock buttons on the door handles. So, I still have to fish the keys out to unlock the dang door. I don't want leather, so I'm not paying for a Laramie just to get buttons on the handles. It's a half baked keyless entry.
2. Navigation volume resetting to retarded loud every time.

Users who are viewing this thread