5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks good! I'll be replacing mine with a different badge.
Thanks. When I had my big horn, I was going to replace that emblem with a sport emblem. Now that I have the Laramie, I believe this will suffice.

mikes911

Reaction score
Did Powerstop Z36 rotors and pads on all 4 corners. Also flushed the brake fluid with Amsoil Dot 3-4 synthetic. Huge difference in stopping. I can't complain about the stock brakes. 70k in miles, 1-2k of towing annually, and the fronts had about 30-40% left. Backs I could have stretched another month as they had maybe 15%.

Anyone doing this job, do not attempt it without:

- Hand impact driver with GOOD, Torx 30 bits.
- A torch
- 2 long bolts and nuts to pop the rotors off the hub

Took all day but came out great. Most of the time was spent gently getting the useless Torx 30 screws out that hold the rotor on and then "popping" the rotors off the hub. The Powerstop recommended "break-in" was interesting. I thought I did pretty well with it. Taking it slow on the brakes for a couple more trips to work to let things set in.

Gave it a nice fresh wash this morning to get the road salt off and I'm pretty happy.
Sounds a bit more challenging than putting them on my Jeep or last Chevy, but first brake job will get these on the Ram too! Mountain driving and towing cross country sold me on them years ago.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Sounds a bit more challenging than putting them on my Jeep or last Chevy, but first brake job will get these on the Ram too! Mountain driving and towing cross country sold me on them years ago.

To be fair, a lot of new cars are using the stupid rotor screws. My wife's old car had them. At least Chrysler uses the Torx head vs. some cars/trucks that use a philips head. The rotors getting rusted on is another common issue that happens with multiple vehicles. The issue is I never thought I'd be doing my first set of brakes on the truck at 70k. I figured they'd be gone by 40k. With that many miles rust is bound to happen.

stevieb92

Reaction score
To be fair, a lot of new cars are using the stupid rotor screws. My wife's old car had them. At least Chrysler uses the Torx head vs. some cars/trucks that use a philips head. The rotors getting rusted on is another common issue that happens with multiple vehicles. The issue is I never thought I'd be doing my first set of brakes on the truck at 70k. I figured they'd be gone by 40k. With that many miles rust is bound to happen.

When I buy a vehicle, whether new or used, one of the first things I do along with normal maintenance items like fluid/filter changes, is to remove the wheels and look for those stupid rotor retention screws. I remove them and throw them in the trash. Then I remove the rotor and apply a light coat of never-seeze to the inside of the rotor hub and also to the lugs.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Cleaned up and serviced for a road trip to Daytona. Hopefully my 3.21s make it
fa609fbd457a6036a31fdcc47817d345.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cleaned up and serviced for a road trip to Daytona. Hopefully my 3.21s make it
fa609fbd457a6036a31fdcc47817d345.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The average Joe cleans up after a road trip. This dude cleans up BEFORE!

Wouldn't be surprised if he had a (touchless) wash appointment or two along the journey all set up as well, along with a plan to take a vacation day upon return to clean up what the wash stations did. 🤦‍♂️

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I clean up before a roadtrip.. but mainly just the interior and give the outside a quick wash knowing its just get trashed but nothing on his level lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

mikes911

Reaction score
Sounds like I need to plan ahead to swap them sooner than actually needed. Thanks for the insight.

mikes911

Reaction score
I'm really curious how the 4 compares to the 3. Loved the 3's.
Me too. But comparing the Ram to the Jeep won't be an apples to apples comparison. I did spend the $$ and go 10 ply since I'll do some towing, so a bit different there too. Time will tell...

mikes911

Reaction score
I have the ATW3’s in 275/60/20. I’m moving up to the AT4’s in LT285/60/20….big I see yours are 55’s. Do you run spacers? What size did you have before? They look great! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on them.
Stock was 275/55R20. Stock rims, no spacers. Went up to LT285/55R20 in order to get the 10 ply. Only a 0.4" difference between the two in AT4W, making them 32.3"x11.2".

Users who are viewing this thread