5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

MarkHodges

Reaction score
I have booster pack as well. Its not a battery issue...the battery is fully charged. The truck is completely dead....I don't even get interior lights or any dash lights...a booster would help it start if the cold cranking amps were too low to get the engine to start...doesn't do anything when I have zero electrical activity at all on a full battery....

But for ****s and giggles (I'm married so I've been wrong before) I did go hook up my booster and still didn't get any electrical power at all. Its as if the battery isn't connected to truck. its -35 C so I didn't spend a ton of time outside screwing around except to giggle the wires and see if they were loose.

Did go kick the stalagmites of ice from my house and Neighbours houses that were creeping towards the exhaust vents on the furnaces and hot water tanks so I feel I accomplished something for all the effort of getting dressed to go outside :)
So..battery is definitely fubar..my guess is it froze or something...
This morning it was only -16 so I removed the negative cable and put charger on battery.....checked it later in the day and it was 50% and tonight it was at 100% so it was certainly charging normally.....put the cable back on and got all my lights...disabled the auto park brake immediately and turned off radio...tried to start and nothing but clicks. Put charger on it...back to <25%..lol
Put my booster on and the truck started at least.....
In morning I will boost it again, drive it into the service bay at the dealer ship and they can deal with getting back out of their bays...lol

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This morning it was only -16 so I removed the negative cable and put charger on battery.....checked it later in the day and it was 50% and tonight it was at 100% so it was certainly charging normally.....put the cable back on and got all my lights...disabled the auto park brake immediately and turned off radio...tried to start and nothing but clicks. Put charger on it...back to <25%..lol
In morning I will boost it again, drive it into the service bay at the dealer ship and they can deal with getting back out of their bays...lol
just got neg temps in my area and had to replace my battery. same issue you are describing. my battery sticker shows to be made in 1/21

Fbird

Reaction score
YAY...I finally got my RAM back from the body shop. Looks great and as expected I got 3 NEW PROBLEMS. The ambient temp sensor does not read, the front fender they replaced needs to be modded like I instructed them to do, and both doors need to be opened up to determine if they are only missing factory sound matts or if there should be "structural adhesive foam" between the skin and inner structure. They both sound like an empty oil can when you shut them (unlike the passenger side doors that go "thump" when you close them). Typical ALMOST job!

Insanity

Reaction score
Had to use a torch to heat up my key to thaw out the lock so I could get in Hornypig. Remote start was not working and she was super grumpy to start up.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
with all these low temperature (and negative temp) issues I'm seeing between here and all the groups on facebook, now i'm wondering if it's a factory issue with the battery and low temp performance or it's just way colder this year than before.

I don't recall seeing this much issues with temperature last year around this time!

guys being affected can you recall how your trucks behave 12 months ago?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe it did, but I don't remember it getting below zero F here last year, but my Rebel has been snoozing in the garage since Sunday morning. The Malibu however remote started just fine at zero F.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

It'll show 100% charged with 11 of 12 dead cells. doesn't mean that the battery is still good or fully charged, just that that one cell took 100% charge. You have a battery with multiple dead cells

BowDown

Reaction score
with all these low temperature (and negative temp) issues I'm seeing between here and all the groups on facebook, now i'm wondering if it's a factory issue with the battery and low temp performance or it's just way colder this year than before.

I don't recall seeing this much issues with temperature last year around this time!

guys being affected can you recall how your trucks behave 12 months ago?

My battery dragged trying to start this morning, 10°.
I hadn't driven it for a few days and with it being this cold I didn't want to start it up with slow moving oil so I clear flood started it. The battery was definitely impacted by the cold which I expected. It did the same thing last year when the battery was 30 days old and we had a late freeze. I did make sure that my Noco boost was fully charged though

Fbird

Reaction score
Consider that our (every) vehicle is made to the least expensive method to meet some "engineering performance standard". Now you add in standard deviation for manufacturing +0/-10% on EVERYTHING, then just for ****s n giggles....move the performance standard down 10* and all bets are off

70runner

Reaction score
If you have a battery charger, should have connected it to new battery to ensure it was fully charged before putting in the truck. When I did mine it took four hours to hit full charge with my Optima battery charger.
Had wally check it with their battery tester. Before install ran it on my Noco Genius which confirmed good charge.

Another thing should have mentioned...wally had 3 H8 Platinums, 2 dated Oct23 and one Dec23. They tried to sell me one of the Oct23s of course, but I insisted on the Dec23. Check the dates when buying batteries. The Oct23s would have likely needed a charge.

BowDown

Reaction score
Had wally check it with their battery tester. Before install ran it on my Noco Genius which confirmed good charge.

Another thing should have mentioned...wally had 3 H8 Platinums, 2 dated Oct23 and one Dec23. They tried to sell me one of the Oct23s of course, but I insisted on the Dec23. Check the dates when buying batteries. The Oct23s would have likely needed a charge.

100%
I bought my battery at sams club, Duracell H8 AGM. I pulled every H8 off the sliding rack and got on dated that month from the back then put the others back on the rack. Service guy watching me had no clue what or why I was doing it

Gobassin

Reaction score
100%
I bought my battery at sams club, Duracell H8 AGM. I pulled every H8 off the sliding rack and got on dated that month from the back then put the others back on the rack. Service guy watching me had no clue what or why I was doing it
Oh they knew what you were doing, they probably got mezmorized watching you lifting and pushing those 50+ pound around!

DaveInSoCal

Reaction score
Our plan for this weekend was to head to the mountains and camp for free at an event organized by a tire company. However, due to the organizer's inability to properly comprehend fire restriction notices, the organizer banned wood burning fires. So we traded free camping at a location that normally costs $100+ site/ night for river camping 3.5 hours away. After all, what's camping without wood burning campfire?

I headed out in the early PM after work, and a 3.5 hour drive turned into 4 hours thanks to weekend drivers, college kids going home, and tourists who have no idea where to go. It would be a 4+ hours drive but I made the time back via picking the right freeways to go around congested zones and trading MPG for MPH. Finally got there right after sunset.
View attachment 168477
Only 3 rigs this time.
View attachment 168478
This whole beach you're seeing would be flooded over night (either because the dam upstream released water or high tide... do rivers have tides?) but the view is great.
When I say flooded I'm talking about ankle height. not even knee height.
View attachment 168479

View attachment 168480
It got dark real quick and it was dinner time already.
These Devos Lightranger 1200s are great additions to the camping experience even though they have a hefty price tag. Like $350 for a pair or something. But I'd say they are worth every penny. There's no need for me to wear my headlamp anymore unless I'm going somewhere further away from the site.
View attachment 168481
Friend of mine made these griddles. Perfect fit for the stove and this was the first time using it. Cooks nicely and the tall sides makes containing oil and scooping up scrambled egg in the morning a lot easier.
View attachment 168482
Smoking a cigar at camp is something I do every time.
View attachment 168483
Next morning visited the another site that another group of guys I know were at the night before.
View attachment 168484
That river looks amazing, would you mind sharing the location?

Users who are viewing this thread