5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

GrandpaBob

Reaction score
Can I have your 22’s? 😁
I have to admit I do like the look of them. If I wasn't sure I'd be going down some washed out two-track road some day in the middle of nowhere Montana, I would probably keep them. If you're in the Phoenix area I'd consider selling them to you...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just put a set of Rebel 18" takeoffs on yesterday. I posted before and after pictures for comparison. Even though I don't do much off-roading, I do a little, and was very uncomfortable with the narrow sidewalls of the 22's. I love having the extra 2" on the 18's. I thought the ride was good with the 22's but do believe it is a little better with the 18's, even though they are LT tires. I plan on replacing them with non-LT tires sometime in the near future (the takeoffs came to me with only about 25% left). After just a short trip, there doesn't seem to be any difference in MPG. The Wrangler tires do have a noticeable road noise hum which is to be expected.

There is less than an inch difference in diameter with the Rebels being slightly larger. The original set up with 285/45 R22 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires is 83 pounds, the Rebel set up with LT275/70 R18 Goodyear Wranglers is 82 pounds. According to my research, going with a non-LT tire would shave about 10 pounds off of that. Would be interesting to see how that effects ride and MPG. Still debating if I want to do that. I don't do enough off-roading that I need to be too concerned about having an LT tire. I think a non-LT tire would definitely improve the ride (though it's not bad now).

The 18" rims are a very tight fit but there seems to be enough clearance. I can see how others have had trouble with the balancing weights rubbing if they aren't placed toward the outside of the rim. If you are considering going to 18", I guess you need to be careful about aftermarket rims not fitting.

If you're wondering why I originally had 22s (which I didn't want), you can see that story here: New truck and tires don't match the sticker...?

Now I just have to figure out what tire to go with that will give me a nice (and quiet?) ride but still has some off-road capabilities. Any suggestions?
Don’t hate me for saying this but appearance wise you down graded but I’m sure it performs a lot better (softer ride)

Have you thought about adding revel links to level the rig out?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t hate me for saying this but appearance wise you down graded but I’m sure it performs a lot better (softer ride)

Have you thought about adding revel links to level the rig out?
😄 but to me it looks so much better.

Maybe if he'd just gone a little more aggressive rubber, and a little bigger diameter on the 22's it would be an acceptable compromise. 😁

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just put a set of Rebel 18" takeoffs on yesterday. I posted before and after pictures for comparison. Even though I don't do much off-roading, I do a little, and was very uncomfortable with the narrow sidewalls of the 22's. I love having the extra 2" on the 18's. I thought the ride was good with the 22's but do believe it is a little better with the 18's, even though they are LT tires. I plan on replacing them with non-LT tires sometime in the near future (the takeoffs came to me with only about 25% left). After just a short trip, there doesn't seem to be any difference in MPG. The Wrangler tires do have a noticeable road noise hum which is to be expected.

There is less than an inch difference in diameter with the Rebels being slightly larger. The original set up with 285/45 R22 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires is 83 pounds, the Rebel set up with LT275/70 R18 Goodyear Wranglers is 82 pounds. According to my research, going with a non-LT tire would shave about 10 pounds off of that. Would be interesting to see how that effects ride and MPG. Still debating if I want to do that. I don't do enough off-roading that I need to be too concerned about having an LT tire. I think a non-LT tire would definitely improve the ride (though it's not bad now).

The 18" rims are a very tight fit but there seems to be enough clearance. I can see how others have had trouble with the balancing weights rubbing if they aren't placed toward the outside of the rim. If you are considering going to 18", I guess you need to be careful about aftermarket rims not fitting.

If you're wondering why I originally had 22s (which I didn't want), you can see that story here: New truck and tires don't match the sticker...?

Now I just have to figure out what tire to go with that will give me a nice (and quiet?) ride but still has some off-road capabilities. Any suggestions?
I get asked all the time on forums why I have Laramie wheels on my Limited.
Firstly, I don’t like a low profile tire, I also don’t like the price and limited choices of 22” tires and lastly I’m kinda old school and like the look of a 5 spoke rim. Like you I don’t off-road much so opted out of the LT 10 ply for the smooth ride and mileage. “Mileage” hahaha. Not a word you can use in the same sentence as “Hemi” without your A$$ puckering. 😎
IMG_3021.jpeg

GrandpaBob

Reaction score
Don’t hate me for saying this but appearance wise you down graded but I’m sure it performs a lot better (softer ride) No problem. Different points of view is what makes the world go round.

Have you thought about adding revel links to level the rig out? Yep, that and lifts and 35's on 22's, etc. They all look great in my opinion. But, my engineer's brain keeps saying that changing the suspension and adding 20 lbs unsprung weight to each corner just can't be a good thing for the overall operation in the long run. I know a lot of people do it and it probably works out fine for most of them. Also, I do have a bit of mpg anxiety ;). It's not the cost so much as I just think it's cool that I can drive to my cabin in Montana (1000 miles) and only have to stop for gas once. If I fall much below 17 mpg, I can't do that. Not a big deal, just me. The bottom line is, this truck is mostly for traveling, trips to Home Depot, and light off road use, so, I really don't need to do those other things.
Thanks for your input!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The first time I needed new tires, I bought aftermarket 20" wheels (that I happen to really like a lot) with new tires mounted and balanced with new TPMS, and it was only about $400 (IIRC) more than buying JUST new 22" tires to go on my stock rims.

I kept the stock wheels with the original, worn factory tires. When I traded that truck in, I put the original wheels and tires back on and kept my nice wheels. When my "new" truck needed tires, I took the stock wheels/tires off and put them in the garage. Put my nice wheels and tires on the new truck.

I've bought tires twice since my original 20" wheel purchase. The savings on the price of 20" tires vs 22" tires has more than paid for what I spent on the wheels.

broman66

Reaction score
I didn’t but I just popped off the door sills, lifted the carpet tabs and tucked it under the carpet and popped everything back together. Removed the weatherstripping on the front and back doors until I could tuck it in the kickplates.

If you check out Waterfowler’s install video, I pretty much did the same except went along the floor instead of the roof. I just wanted to use up that extra cord so I didn’t have to stow it anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sounds like a better option. I especially don't want to mess with the headliner.

ocmsrzr

Reaction score
Johnson got new shoes today. 18" takeoffs and Nitto Terra Grappler G2.
df7e42bdce926cbe0160bc0b65b14815.jpg

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The first time I needed new tires, I bought aftermarket 20" wheels (that I happen to really like a lot) with new tires mounted and balanced with new TPMS, and it was only about $400 (IIRC) more than buying JUST new 22" tires to go on my stock rims.

I kept the stock wheels with the original, worn factory tires. When I traded that truck in, I put the original wheels and tires back on and kept my nice wheels. When my "new" truck needed tires, I took the stock wheels/tires off and put them in the garage. Put my nice wheels and tires on the new truck.

I've bought tires twice since my original 20" wheel purchase. The savings on the price of 20" tires vs 22" tires has more than paid for what I spent on the wheels.
I actually love the look of the 22's and have thought about getting a set more than once.

But everytime I go and look at the cost for 22" tires I just go back to loving my stock sport 20s.

I will need new tires next spring and I am planning on going 285s this time but I'll be sticking to my 20s.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to have one not sure what happened to it, that said i was not planning on the window when I went to get the bumpers, that just kinda happened so I will be content cleaning a little mess from a free window :)
You're scoring some major 'dad points' man! 👍

ocmsrzr

Reaction score
Looks good! What size tire is that?
It's the OEM 18" tire size. 275/65/18 maybe. Can't remember off hand.

I'm going to be selling the Laramie 22" night edition (dark grey) wheels and Pirelli tires if anyone is interested.

I'll give some sort of a discount to forum members.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1700382463772.png
Took out the wooden bed area electrical panel I did last week and replaced it with a metal one. First time fabricating and I eyeballed and freehanded everything so it's not good at all.
1700382524316.png
I used a semi-flat plate that we had at the shop.

1700382558549.png
Also redid the camper tent lighting. Went with RGBW with a controller that has a built in mic for party mode
1700382591837.png
No idea why the white's color temperature are different but... what can I say... China quality lol

Tomorrow I'll be doing the RGBW lights for the camper area with another controller. Hopefully the white will turn out ok.

Whodeysrt

Reaction score
Finally got a spare set of tools for the truck installed. Little measuring and Kaizen Foam …. Cleared out all the junk that has been collecting under the rear seats.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpeg
    IMG_0389.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 121

Users who are viewing this thread