5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Changed the battery in my keyfob since it died in me yesterday and left the truck sitting at a gas station at 6:30 in the morning. Luckily I had my daughter following me in her car, so was able to make it to Ice Cream Cruise on time for work. Then had my wife and step son come and deliver the truck to me using her keyfob. I was under the impression we could still start the truck, even with a dead battery, because the RFID chip didn't require power. But nope.

Last edited:

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Changed the battery in my keyfob since it died in me yesterday and left the truck sitting at a gas station at 6:30 in the morning. Luckily I had my daughter following me in her card so was able to make it to Ice Cream Cruise on time for work. Then had my wife and step son come and deliver the truck to me using her keyfob. I was under the impression we could still start the truck, even with a dead battery, because the RFID chip didn't require power. But nope.
good to know

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Changed the battery in my keyfob since it died in me yesterday and left the truck sitting at a gas station at 6:30 in the morning. Luckily I had my daughter following me in her car, so was able to make it to Ice Cream Cruise on time for work. Then had my wife and step son come and deliver the truck to me using her keyfob. I was under the impression we could still start the truck, even with a dead battery, because the RFID chip didn't require power. But nope.

This didn't work?

My fob battery seems to be on its way out as well and I had an episode of an unresponsive truck a few nights ago. Their demo worked for me without an issue.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This didn't work?

My fob battery seems to be on its way out as well and I had an episode of an unresponsive truck a few nights ago. Their demo worked for me without an issue.

Did not work. Tried multiple times with pushing the start/stop button with remote. Each time it displayed "fob not recognized" on dash. Granted, this is an aftermarket fob.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This didn't work?

So I think I figured it out. I have the AJT keyfob cover. There is a small piece in factory fob that I didn't transfer over because I didn't know what it was. I tried my completely gutted factory fob, that only had that piece left in it and it started the truck. Now to try and get that piece out to put in the AJT fob. PXL_20230925_203037179~2.jpg

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I think I figured it out. I have the AJT keyfob cover. There is a small piece in factory fob that I didn't transfer over because I didn't know what it was. I tried my completely gutted factory fob, that only had that piece left in it and it started the truck. Now to try and get that piece out to put in the AJT fob. View attachment 168019
That is a realy good tid bit!

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I think I figured it out. I have the AJT keyfob cover. There is a small piece in factory fob that I didn't transfer over because I didn't know what it was. I tried my completely gutted factory fob, that only had that piece left in it and it started the truck. Now to try and get that piece out to put in the AJT fob. View attachment 168019

You should try it on someone else's truck first to see if its truck specific.

That yes/no might come in handy down the road.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Confirmed. Once I got that piece out, which required hacking up the factory fob because it's glued in, I could start the truck with just that little chip and pushing the start button with it. The AJT install instructions do not mention this rfid chip at all, yet they have a spot for it in the fob case. PXL_20230925_204501797.jpg PXL_20230925_204723470.jpg

3rdrock

Reaction score
I was busy working on my new truck saturday.

Front white RAM decals.
Front lower grill with air holes so I can get a behind the grill light bar. (soon)
Blue & white hood decals.
Blue trim decals.
White RAM light decals.
Removed the RAM emblems from both doors and the cheesy Limited emblem from the tailgate.
I wish they made the Limited emblems like the Bighorn & Laramie.
Diode Dynamics hitch light.
SkeerdyCat Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Skid Plate.
Ram mud flaps.
Good Year window vents.

Attachments

• Trim Decals.jpg
    Trim Decals.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 91
  • SkeerdyCat Anti Theft Plate.jpg
    SkeerdyCat Anti Theft Plate.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Ram Mud Flaps.jpg
    Ram Mud Flaps.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Ram Light Decal.jpg
    Ram Light Decal.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Hood Decal.jpg
    Hood Decal.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 84
  • HitchMount LED POD.jpg
    HitchMount LED POD.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Goodyear Air Vents.jpg
    Goodyear Air Vents.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 86
  • White Ram Decal & Lower Grill.jpg
    White Ram Decal & Lower Grill.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 87

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Confirmed. Once I got that piece out, which required hacking up the factory fob because it's glued in, I could start the truck with just that little chip and pushing the start button with it. The AJT install instructions do not mention this rfid chip at all, yet they have a spot for it in the fob case. View attachment 168023 View attachment 168024

And just like that - my days of throwing out OEM stuff that I "upgraded" are over!

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Confirmed. Once I got that piece out, which required hacking up the factory fob because it's glued in, I could start the truck with just that little chip and pushing the start button with it. The AJT install instructions do not mention this rfid chip at all, yet they have a spot for it in the fob case.
That is the security chip. That is the part that has to be programmed to the vehicle. That chip is what makes it unique. Back in the days of key start, I buried a chip in my dash, so I could use cheap non chip keys in one of my cars.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is the security chip. That is the part that has to be programmed to the vehicle. That chip is what makes it unique. Back in the days of key start, I buried a chip in my dash, so I could use cheap non chip keys in one of my cars.
The fob, with the rolling codes, gets programmed to the truck. Which is why I have been able to use my AJT case with zero issues until the battery died. This is just basically a "back up" RFID chip that has to be in close proximity to the receiver in the dash. Hence having to push the start/stop button with it. The regular fob, when battery is good talks to the truck in a different way

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Confirmed. Once I got that piece out, which required hacking up the factory fob because it's glued in, I could start the truck with just that little chip and pushing the start button with it. The AJT install instructions do not mention this rfid chip at all, yet they have a spot for it in the fob case. View attachment 168023 View attachment 168024

Sorry this happen to you. But glad it did. I need to check my fob. I don’t remember transferring that chip.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry this happen to you. But glad it did. I need to check my fob. I don’t remember transferring that chip.
I'm just glad the circumstances lined up to where I wasn't left stranded waiting on rescue, and that the truck was only 20 minutes from my house, so wasn't too much to have my wife go pick up the truck and bring it to me

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The fob, with the rolling codes, gets programmed to the truck. Which is why I have been able to use my AJT case with zero issues until the battery died. This is just basically a "back up" RFID chip that has to be in close proximity to the receiver in the dash. Hence having to push the start/stop button with it. The regular fob, when battery is good talks to the truck in a different way
I thought you just switched cases. I would have thought it wouldn't work at all, to start, without that chip.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought you just switched cases. I would have thought it wouldn't work at all, to start, without that chip.
It does, which is how people are claiming fobs to steal trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread