5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new hybrids are "e-cvt". They're actually driven by dual electric motors powered by the battery pack. I much prefer the current hybrid engineering to the old style. I was ridiculed here in the past for recommending bigger batteries with a small on board engine to act as a generator. That's what honda and Toyota are now moving to. The prius is now a 0-60 6.6 second car 😂. The CRV hybrid is making 204 combines hp and 247 torque. Not bad when the torque is available immediately at the low end. The bonus is no turbo!

I have said the same thing for many years. And not just any old ICE engine onboard. If it weren't for political BS, it would be a small turbodiesel setup to run off biodiesel. All that corn they use to make ethanol should be going to make biodiesel instead.

Just look at the performance we're getting now from the EcoDiesel. A 3.0 liter turbo 6-cylinder. To run a hybrid that uses a big battery pack and electric motors to actually drive, and a small turbodiesel to charge and/or help when needed, you'd probably only need a 1 - 1.5 liter 4-cylinder. And maybe a 5 - 10 gallon fuel tank.

Set it up so you can plug it in to charge, when available, and conserve the onboard fuel. That is an EV I would be happy to own (once they got all the bugs worked out).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the REV with the range extender they have talked about will be some form of that - though it probably won't be diesel.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have said the same thing for many years. And not just any old ICE engine onboard. If it weren't for political BS, it would be a small turbodiesel setup to run off biodiesel. All that corn they use to make ethanol should be going to make biodiesel instead.

Just look at the performance we're getting now from the EcoDiesel. A 3.0 liter turbo 6-cylinder. To run a hybrid that uses a big battery pack and electric motors to actually drive, and a small turbodiesel to charge and/or help when needed, you'd probably only need a 1 - 1.5 liter 4-cylinder. And maybe a 5 - 10 gallon fuel tank.

Set it up so you can plug it in to charge, when available, and conserve the onboard fuel. That is an EV I would be happy to own (once they got all the bugs worked out).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the REV with the range extender they have talked about will be some form of that - though it probably won't be diesel.
I also would favor this type of drive. Trains, and I think the Volt, are this style. Might get away with even smaller ICE, like .7 - 1 liter turbo 2 cylinder. I think diesel is allowed to keep running while fueling as well. So a range of 400 miles with 15 minutes refueling (and charging) and continuous optimum ICE output sounds perfect. Might be 200 mile range plus 30 minute charging extra at max towing? Beats looking for a charger every 100 miles like the Lightning.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Added some extra grips for back seat. More for looks than anything but they are functional. These are the gray ones. Little lighter shade than my Ceramic Gray but enough distance from the paint it's not noticeable

GP BackGrip PRO, Headrest Car Passenger Hand Grip for Truck & Car Wrangler JL JT JK Handle for Offroad, Kids & Seniors, Patented Jeep Accessories, Aluminum, Picket Grey, 2-Pack https://a.co/d/5A2uBGd

PXL_20230915_161958038.jpg PXL_20230915_162002335.jpg

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, mine is just a lowly Boat Anchor (318 LA), but it's bored 0.020" over with a Whiplash cam. I had a 440 to build, but thought it would tear my convertible in half.
318's are great! The LA head and port design is much better than the BB :)

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
everything honda is CVT, even the hybrid ones unless i read the spec sheets wrong lol
but if you are set on it, change your cvt fluid on time. That's the only way to delay the failure.
Agreed. I have zero issues with my CVT @ nearly 200,000 miles. I'm on the Civic forum and all the issues arise from people not changing their fluid at correct intervals or putting in non-Honda CVT fluid.

BigRedTD

Reaction score
Said goodbye to the 1/2 ton. Bittersweet, but happy to be back in a 3/4 ton. Unfortunately the truck I went in to buy was sold by the time I arrived at the RAM dealer, and on my way out saw this one parked on the curb at the Honda dealer next door. 2020 2500 with 48K miles on it. Right place at the right time!

View attachment 165879

All the chrome removed except for the wheels while I shop around for those:
View attachment 165880
I bought my last Ram from that same Honda dealer. I recognize that customer vehicle parking overhang. Love the new truck!

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
everything honda is CVT, even the hybrid ones unless i read the spec sheets wrong lol
but if you are set on it, change your cvt fluid on time. That's the only way to delay the failure.
Actually, the 2023 Honda Passport has a V-6 with a 9-speed tranny

Users who are viewing this thread