5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think so too I just need a side picture. The originals didn't cover the rocker panels at all thats why I have held off.. I've been looking at the AMPs but they are just to much..
I would love to get the AMP XL because of the tiny bit of slider protection, but damn that price.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Changed the oil in the truck and installed a Skeerdy Cat catalytic converter anti-theft skid plate.

The pros:

Install was pretty easy

Seems like it will deter thieves from cutting off my catalytic converters

The cons:

Due to the genius design of the Ram 1500, we all know they placed the oil drain plug directly above the front sway bar. This makes it a little difficult to drain oil without making a mess. The skid plate has a hole to access the drain plug, but I see it making it even harder to not make a mess, due to restricted access.

The design of the skid plate covers the front of the frame, on both sides, where I usually place the arms/pads when I put my truck on the lift. This is causing me to move the front lift points back about 1 foot. It might be ok, but I’d much rather have the lift points as far forward in the front as possible and as far back in the rear as possible. It still seems pretty stable though. The red circle is the lift point I usually use.

IMG_3441.jpeg IMG_3444.jpeg IMG_3445.jpeg IMG_3446.jpeg IMG_3447.jpeg IMG_3450.jpeg IMG_3453.jpeg

raygun9

Reaction score
Changed the oil in the truck and installed a Skeerdy Cat catalytic converter anti-theft skid plate.

The pros:

Install was pretty easy

The cons:

Due to the genius design of the Ram 1500, we all know they placed the oil drain plug directly above the front sway bar. This makes it a little difficult to drain oil without making a mess. The skid plate has a hole to access the drain plug, but I see it making it even harder to not make a mess, due to restricted access.

The design of the skid plate covers the front of the frame, on both sides, where I usually place the arms/pads when I put my truck on the lift. This is causing me to move the front lift points back about 1 foot. It might be ok, but I’d much rather have the lift points as far forward in the front as possible and as far back in the rear as possible. It still seems pretty stable though. The red circle is the lift point I usually use.

View attachment 167264 View attachment 167265 View attachment 167266 View attachment 167267 View attachment 167268 View attachment 167269 View attachment 167270
Looks great, for the drain plug con get the fumoto with the longer nipple so you can run a hose off it.. 0 mess.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks great, for the drain plug con get the fumoto with the longer nipple so you can run a hose off it.. 0 mess.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

I‘ll definitely have to get one of those. Is that just opened with a lever? Any chance of that thing opening on its own, or leaking?

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I‘ll definitely have to get one of those. Is that just opened with a lever? Any chance of that thing opening on its own, or leaking?
I have one on my truck and my wife’s traverse as well and have zero complaints.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to know! I wanted no part of the 1.5 w/ cvt. I did put a deposit down on a new crv hybrid though. Should be picking it up Saturday.
everything honda is CVT, even the hybrid ones unless i read the spec sheets wrong lol
but if you are set on it, change your cvt fluid on time. That's the only way to delay the failure.

Insanity

Reaction score
Had around 75k on my old cummins only time it opened up is when I opened it. I went with a valvomax on this truck and my s10. You need the drain tool to drain it so even less worry.

Insanity

Reaction score
everything honda is CVT, even the hybrid ones unless i read the spec sheets wrong lol
but if you are set on it, change your cvt fluid on time. That's the only way to delay the failure.
Im really glad to not have the pos accord anymore. It was fun to drive but that CVT and 1.5 were worrisome. It was too damn small for my liking too.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just took a look on their website it appears that the valve comes with a little plastic clip to lock it so it can’t open.
Yup. I was worried about something hitting the lever and opening but the plastic clip eliminates that worry.
Even so it’s spring loaded and needs to be levered over to the stop to stay open.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im really glad to not have the pos accord anymore. It was fun to drive but that CVT and 1.5 were worrisome. It was too damn small for my liking too.
yeah. unfortunately that's how it's gonna be moving forward... small displacement plus turbo

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new hybrids are "e-cvt". They're actually driven by dual electric motors powered by the battery pack. I much prefer the current hybrid engineering to the old style. I was ridiculed here in the past for recommending bigger batteries with a small on board engine to act as a generator. That's what honda and Toyota are now moving to. The prius is now a 0-60 6.6 second car 😂. The CRV hybrid is making 204 combines hp and 247 torque. Not bad when the torque is available immediately at the low end. The bonus is no turbo!

Re: Fumoto oil valves -
I have them on all 3 of our vehicles (actually removed the one from the Pacifica last night in preparation for trade in). I'd say I've logged 200,000+ trouble free miles across the three. The plastic locking mechanism/key was actually broken on the pacifica but still lodged in place. Not that it was a real concern as the underbody cladding would keep it from getting twisted regardless. I put one on my Mazda first to speed up oil changes. It was a necessity on the pacifica because the drain plug faces the passenger wheel and makes a helluva mess. Then the Ram has the lovely drain plug placement you all have already discussed.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The pros:

Install was pretty easy

The cons:

View attachment 167264 View attachment 167265 View attachment 167266 View attachment 167267 View attachment 167268 View attachment 167269 View attachment 167270
Another option which I like better and used on my last vehicle ValvoMax Quick Twist Oil Drain Valve

Valvomax.jpg

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Valcomax looks a lot like an updated Fram Suredrain. I have one of the Suredrain on my Dakota. It works, but don't ever lose or misplaced the adapter you have to screw on.
Yeah I always double bagged and left in the vehicle. Less chance to lose that way.... I hope anyways :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread