5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Scrubbed hard water marks from the side windows and pano moonroof with 0000 steel wool and Barkeepers Friend. It pretty much sucked and I still have the front and rear window to do.
I've never heard of cleaning glass with steel wool. Is that something you've done before?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Removed the ugly support piece for the active air dam and lower bumper splash shield that I didn't need anymore with new front bumper. Also tucked up the bumper harness wiring some to hide it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230116_230902399.jpg
    PXL_20230116_230902399.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 104
  • PXL_20230116_230908872.jpg
    PXL_20230116_230908872.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 104
  • PXL_20230116_234315502.jpg
    PXL_20230116_234315502.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 104

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Scrubbed hard water marks from the side windows and pano moonroof with 0000 steel wool and Barkeepers Friend. It pretty much sucked and I still have the front and rear window to do.

Water spots are usually mineral deposits, and the oxalic acid in BKF may dissolve them, but it's also abrasive. And steel wool, too? Who recommended that? Seems to me you're likely to cloud the glass with billions of microscopic scratches that will take forever to polish out. Color me skeptical.

I'd have suggested something a bit milder like lemon juice (citric acid), vinegar (acetic acid), or a liquid preparation like CLR on a soft rag. Stubborn deposits can be soaked awhile with a saturated rag or tissue.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Water spots are usually mineral deposits, and the oxalic acid in BKF may dissolve them, but it's also abrasive. And steel wool, too? Who recommended that? Seems to me you're likely to cloud the glass with billions of microscopic scratches that will take forever to polish out. Color me skeptical.

I'd have suggested something a bit milder like lemon juice (citric acid), vinegar (acetic acid), or a liquid preparation like CLR on a soft rag. Stubborn deposits can be soaked awhile with a saturated rag or tissue.
Man!!!

You guys take this cleaning thing to a whole 'noder level!

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a friend that owns a window cleaning business. #0000 is what he recommends and what ive used for years.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never heard of cleaning glass with steel wool. Is that something you've done before?
So I researched this a bit online, and find that glass is a little bit harder than steel.
However, it seems that steel wool makers are quite a bit more enthusiastic about the idea than glass makers. Methinks I'll stay on the cautious side of the issue.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a guy local to me that does car detailing, paint corrections and ceramic coating. His actual namez given to him at birth, is Shyne Harder
Sounds like my Buddies doctor that did his vasectomy.
His name was Dr. Hanslip. True that!
Personally, I probably would have gotten a second opinion!

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I hear you on the deer, they basically live in large groups behind our house and are always around. Plus we are by a river & creeks with some hills so there are definitely some dense foggy areas. I actually have the rough country light pods and light bar on my jeep, and I like everything about them except the switch - I could not find a three way switch to replace the one that they came with, but not a huge deal, just wanted something different.

Iā€™m still a little torn on what to do on the ram. Since the truck is for on road use only I should probably spend the extra dollar and go with diode dynamics, but the 30 inch light bar and brackets are less expensive than the fog lights. I definitely like the price point of the Bajaā€˜s better, and they come with the bezels, but they might blind oncoming traffic, and I might get flashed or pulled over sometimes. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø
Iā€™ll just throw in my 2 cents since I have Baja designs lol. Even if you get the spot pattern lenses, they donā€™t have a harsh cut off which is sooo nice! I personally like having everything around me lit up not just a thin line of light shooting super far. You absolutely should not run either brand turned on while on the road even if they claim itā€™s legal because youā€™ll be the biggest jerk ever lol because theyā€™re bright!

NCLife

Reaction score
Others beat me to answering your question. The key is the right steel wool. Too abrasive and it will cause swirling or scratching. 0000 steel wool isn't abrasive enough to scratch glass. There is a specific product for glass restoration that eluded me but you make a paste and buff the glass with it. This didn't seem like it needed that level of effort. However, the mineralized water spots were tough and uniform. Maybe I'll take pics or a quick video to show you what I am doing, in the event it's helpful for someone. It worked great, it just takes a lot of elbow grease. You can all do vinegar as someone mentioned but that has to sit and still requires aggressive rubbing. Lemon and salt are virtually worthless. There are a ton of videos on YT showing side by side comparisons of the various methods.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Others beat me to answering your question. The key is the right steel wool. Too abrasive and it will cause swirling or scratching. 0000 steel wool isn't abrasive enough to scratch glass. There is a specific product for glass restoration that eluded me but you make a paste and buff the glass with it. This didn't seem like it needed that level of effort. However, the mineralized water spots were tough and uniform. Maybe I'll take pics or a quick video to show you what I am doing, in the event it's helpful for someone. It worked great, it just takes a lot of elbow grease. You can all do vinegar as someone mentioned but that has to sit and still requires aggressive rubbing. Lemon and salt are virtually worthless. There are a ton of videos on YT showing side by side comparisons of the various methods.
Interesting. Thanks for the reply

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Iā€™ll just throw in my 2 cents since I have Baja designs lol. Even if you get the spot pattern lenses, they donā€™t have a harsh cut off which is sooo nice! I personally like having everything around me lit up not just a thin line of light shooting super far. You absolutely should not run either brand turned on while on the road even if they claim itā€™s legal because youā€™ll be the biggest jerk ever lol because theyā€™re bright!

Well, dang it, thatā€™s not really what I want to hear. Lol

For the fog lights, I do plan on getting the flood pattern and for the center light bar I plan on getting the combo pattern. I will say that Iā€™m not the kind of guy that always drives with my fog lights on for looks really, just out of preservation for the life of the bulbs more than anything. But whenever Iā€™m closer to home where the roads are not lit and deer are everywhere, is when I crank them up. For most of the routes I drive, I could probably keep the aftermarket lights completely off until Iā€™m around town. But the main reason for getting them is fog and snow.

Even when I drive the Jeep with the two rough country pods and 30 inch light bar on the bumper as well, I donā€™t get flashed when the amber backlight is on alone because itā€™s not that bright - but I can keep the pods on the bright white light shining through the amber lens and just turn the light bar off until I pass someone and so far in a few years that has not warranted anyone flashing me as well. Obviously, these lights are not as bright as Baja or DD though. I kind of figured since my truck is not lifted and usually in aero mode, that having the lights lower and angled more to the road would help with not blinding anyone.

I went ā€œamber happyā€ when we were moving everything we owned in my old jeep 7 years ago because thatā€™s all we had at the time and it was incredibly foggy and raining on a crazy winding back road and that was the scariest drive weā€™ve ever been on! Lol Since adding the amber itā€™s been so much better.

I obviously still have some thinking to do. Is there a noticeable quality difference of the bezels from Retro Shop vs OEM? I actually live close to Retro Shop and Diode Dynamics, so I wonder if I can contact them and figure out how to stop by there.

Users who are viewing this thread