5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Monday Afternoon Update - nothing.

shop didnt even look at it today - scheduled for 8AM tomorrow

super disappointed obviously but i really cant believe chrysler/ram/etc hasnt been able to hook me up with a rental/loaner or anything yet. Chrysler road side assistance was of no help either. the soonest tow was going to be monday (broke down sat afternoon) so I had to go thru my own car insurance.

And because they havent had a chance to even look at it yet, they cant provide a vehicle for me, if "needed". i made a few calls and could have a rental by now if ABSOLUTELY necessary but i have no guarantees on reimbursement...

i travel all the time for work. I need to be in NY soon for thanksgiving, then off to NJ, FL or TX, Vegas.. etc etc I bought a brand new truck with that specifically in mind. I need something I can pack a week-month+ worth of stuff into and hit the road at a moments notice... i was just driving thru the middle of nowhere appalachia mountains... i couldve broke down middle of F-N nowhere and, under the same circumstances, been totally stranded by chrysler. thank God for Geico and uber... unfortunately.

That’s the Mopar warranty for you. Even with a Mopar Maxcare warranty - which does cover a rental - you still don’t get ANYTHING until they have diagnosed the truck and verified that the repair is covered by the warranty.

That is why, with my latest truck, I got an extended warranty through Allstate. It provides a rental as soon as the truck is out of service. I got screwed by the Mopar warranty before. Not again.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s the Mopar warranty for you. Even with a Mopar Maxcare warranty - which does cover a rental - you still don’t get ANYTHING until they have diagnosed the truck and verified that the repair is covered by the warranty.

That is why, with my latest truck, I got an extended warranty through Allstate. It provides a rental as soon as the truck is out of service. I got screwed by the Mopar warranty before. Not again.

How many days of rental does the Mopar warranty provide? I have a 3rd party warranty also but it only provides 4 days of rental assistance. With today's supply chain issues and dealerships that are overbooked, that's not enough.

LarryK1500

Reaction score
Today I custom mounted a Valentine 1 radar detector with the remote display. Tapped in to the Aux. outlet for power and set the fuse to supply power only when the engine is running. All the excess cable is tucked in behind the console. 20221121_225919.jpg 20221121_225908.jpg

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many days of rental does the Mopar warranty provide? I have a 3rd party warranty also but it only provides 4 days of rental assistance. With today's supply chain issues and dealerships that are overbooked, that's not enough.

The Mopar Maxcare warranty does not provide a rental until the vehicle has been diagnosed and determined to need a repair that is covered by the warranty. Then, it only provides a rental to cover the days that are required to perform the repair. I.e. if the repair only takes 1 day to do, then you get a rental car for one day.

If the dealer has to order parts and that takes more time, the rental car coverage does not cover that time. It only covers the time required to do the actual work.

The last time I had my truck in for repair, it was totally dead. I had it towed to the dealer. They said they were so backed up it would be 2 or 3 days before they would even be able to look at it. And that meant they would have it over a weekend, so actually 4 or 5 calendar days. All that time and me with no vehicle to drive.

That is why I went aftermarket on the warranty for my current truck. I want a rental from the day the truck goes in the shop until the day I get it back. Period. I was told I would have that, but I've only had my current truck for 4 months and haven't needed any repairs yet, so it remains to be seen how the coverage will REALLY work.

The way the Mopar warranties (original factory or Maxcare) work is BS. Even with Maxcare, they could have your truck for a month or more (apparently, from the stories I've seen here about blown motors, etc.) and only cover a rental for a day or two.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today I custom mounted a Valentine 1 radar detector with the remote display. Tapped in to the Aux. outlet for power and set the fuse to supply power only when the engine is running. All the excess cable is tucked in behind the console. View attachment 144340 View attachment 144341

I have questions:

First, you know it's pretty easy to run that cable up, instead of down, right? Through the plastic housing behind the rearview mirror, then under the end of the headliner over to the A-pillar, then down to behind the dash. Run like that, you basically can't even see it while driving.

Second, what is the point of the remote display down in your center console, when you have the main display right up there near your rearview mirror?

70runner

Reaction score

How does the Allstate extended warranty compare with Maxcare? Coverage? Cost difference? TIA.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How does the Allstate extended warranty compare with Maxcare? Coverage? Cost difference? TIA.

I didn't compare them in minute detail on coverage. I was told it had the same coverage as the Maxcare. I.e. bumper to bumper. I still take that with a grain of salt. They both have fine print and exclusions, so I assume there are minor differences.

My big thing was having rental car coverage that is actually USEFUL, which the Allstate one does and Mopar does not.

I mean, a few years ago, when we did not supply chain issues and labor shortage issues like we do now, the Mopar Maxcare worked fine for me. Back then, my truck would go in and get seen within a day and fixed shortly after. The rental car coverage it provided worked okay for me then.

But now, when a vehicle might not get diagnosed for a few days and then might have to sit for a few more days to a month or two waiting on parts, the Mopar coverage is just no good.

The Allstate warranty cost me just slightly more (less than $100) than the equivalent Maxcare was going to cost.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so here's the latest and greatest...

need a new engine 🤣

I think you lucked out there actually. I would much prefer a new factory engine swapped in than to stick with one that has been opened up and bastardized by a tech fresh out of school.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my morning certainly didn't go as planned.

Little old grandpa dude decided it was okay to go for a drive without a valid license and pull out across my lane. Had no way to avoid the ensuing T-bone.

Now 'Stryker' has to bear the brunt of it...

20221122_082658.jpg 20221122_082730.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think you lucked out there actually. I would much prefer a new factory engine swapped in than to stick with one that has been opened up and bastardized by a tech fresh out of school.
The techs straight out of school are working the lube change bays, not rebuilding engines. And 99% of the time, they will replace the entire engine and send the core back to Ram for analysis to try and determine cause.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Mopar Maxcare warranty does not provide a rental until the vehicle has been diagnosed and determined to need a repair that is covered by the warranty. Then, it only provides a rental to cover the days that are required to perform the repair. I.e. if the repair only takes 1 day to do, then you get a rental car for one day.

If the dealer has to order parts and that takes more time, the rental car coverage does not cover that time. It only covers the time required to do the actual work.

The last time I had my truck in for repair, it was totally dead. I had it towed to the dealer. They said they were so backed up it would be 2 or 3 days before they would even be able to look at it. And that meant they would have it over a weekend, so actually 4 or 5 calendar days. All that time and me with no vehicle to drive.

That is why I went aftermarket on the warranty for my current truck. I want a rental from the day the truck goes in the shop until the day I get it back. Period. I was told I would have that, but I've only had my current truck for 4 months and haven't needed any repairs yet, so it remains to be seen how the coverage will REALLY work.

The way the Mopar warranties (original factory or Maxcare) work is BS. Even with Maxcare, they could have your truck for a month or more (apparently, from the stories I've seen here about blown motors, etc.) and only cover a rental for a day or two.
Thanks for the explanation.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my morning certainly didn't go as planned.

Little old grandpa dude decided it was okay to go for a drive without a valid license and pull out across my lane. Had no way to avoid the ensuing T-bone.

Now 'Stryker' has to bear the brunt of it...

View attachment 144376 View attachment 144377
Well that just bites. Nonetheless, hope you are all okay.
That looks on the edge of “new truck”…sorry man. Hate seeing this s**t. 🥺

LarryK1500

Reaction score
I have questions:

First, you know it's pretty easy to run that cable up, instead of down, right? Through the plastic housing behind the rearview mirror, then under the end of the headliner over to the A-pillar, then down to behind the dash. Run like that, you basically can't even see it while driving.

Second, what is the point of the remote display down in your center console, when you have the main display right up there near your rearview mirror?
The remote display also has a silence button. It is easier for me to reach down (mostly sideways) than it is to reach up to hit the button. Also, the main unit is hanging in mid air as opposed to the remote which is surrounded, easier to locate without having to look. That being said, it was easier for me to connect both units. Just two screws, and the console come off. I hate fishing thru the A-pillar and across the headliner. Done that too many times on too many vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread