5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need a bigger filter, you'll be fine.
My heavily modded Z06 (ERL 434 stroker) with a modded oiling system still uses the stock sized filter which is about the same size as the 57060 (51042XP or M1-107)) and its been fine. Change the filter in-between oil changes if you're concerned about filtering quality/capability.
I use the 57060XP on my truck, tried a bigger filter on the 2nd oil change and noticed a small leak a week later, saw oil spots on the tailgate and instantly knew it was a leak from underneath.
The filter had a small crack in it and was leaking under pressure. I don't know what caused the crack but I went back to the stock sized filter and haven't changed since.
Its easier to change the filter in-between oil changes (if necessary) than worry about an oil filter issue.
Use quality oil filters, and you have less of a chance of issues. But in that note, I dont like WIX filters. The ones I have handled felt light and cheap compared to Mopar, K&N, or Mobil1. And the one time I did use one on my 00 Dakota R/T I had an oil leak from the filter itself. Couldn't identify exactly where on the filter it was leaking. Wasn't loose, wasn't a double gasket. Replaced with a Mopar filter and no more leak

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took mine to Krown this morning for its annual undercarriage coating.......ready for winter now.
how do you like krown? does it protect well? i imagin it leaks a little for a few days? my usual go to place for rust proffing cant do my new ram until january so i took a appointment in 2 weeks with a krown place thats been there for a while and has good reviews but i dont know anyone that actually use it

2020GCM

Reaction score
how do you like krown? does it protect well? i imagin it leaks a little for a few days? my usual go to place for rust proffing cant do my new ram until january so i took a appointment in 2 weeks with a krown place thats been there for a while and has good reviews but i dont know anyone that actually use it
I am happy with them, this is the 4th application to my Ram and there is not a spec of rust underneath through 3 Toronto winters. Yes it does drip for a bit which is annoying but it is what it is......I am going to try laying down some oil adsorbent in my driveway and see if that helps from staining.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Use quality oil filters, and you have less of a chance of issues. But in that note, I dont like WIX filters. The ones I have handled felt light and cheap compared to Mopar, K&N, or Mobil1. And the one time I did use one on my 00 Dakota R/T I had an oil leak from the filter itself. Couldn't identify exactly where on the filter it was leaking. Wasn't loose, wasn't a double gasket. Replaced with a Mopar filter and no more leak

Mopar oil filters are Purolator's and SRT Oil filters are WIX filters

MANN+HUMMEL make/own WIX and Purolator

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mopar oil filters are Purolator's and SRT Oil filters are WIX filters

MANN+HUMMEL make/own WIX and Purolator

"Made by" doesn't mean the "same as". It's made to Mopar specs. There are only a couple places that actually manufacture oil filters. Mann+Hummel, Champion Labs, and Baldwin are the main ones. Pretty much every oil filter sold in the US is made by factories owned by one of those three.

BowDown

Reaction score
"Made by" doesn't mean the "same as". It's made to Mopar specs. There are only a couple places that actually manufacture oil filters. Mann+Hummel, Champion Labs, and Baldwin are the main ones. Pretty much every oil filter sold in the US is made by factories owned by one of those three.
I'm aware of that however the specs of both are available and match right down to the number of and the size of the return openings. SRT filters very much appear to be rebranded Wix but use what you like st whatever interval you like

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I've been in manufacturing for close to 30 years, customers get what they pay for. You negotiate 20% off the cost, we either pull resources out of the process till we make a profit or do extensive testing and grade each item on a spectrum within acceptable tolerances, otherwise we go out of business. Top paying customers like Mopar get the product that passes within the top spec of the product range, places like Walmart get the low end of the scale...and possibly a higher failure rate.

All products will have the same spec. Just like comparing a Palmettos State Armory AR15 to a Daniel Defense DDM4, both meet the same Mil spec but one is clearly held to a higher standard than the other.

Products like oil will have a recipe that will be taylored per specific customer and cost point, tires could have different compounds, layups or even a final balance that isn't quite perfect but still within allowable tolerances. Oil filters could be made with different quality metals or possibly just run through the crimper at a high line speed that naturally comes with a higher failure rate. There are many ways to cut manufacturing costs or provide chaeaper product options, I'm just giving a few examples.

The better a companies reputation, the less they manipulate these compromises and sometimes it just matters who's in charge at the time. Manufactures these days are at the mercy of their QC departments. We had a shady Quality Control manager at one facility and it cost us millions to replace inferior product manufactured under his watch. I was part of the team who re-engineered the entire product line afterwards and we went from having one of the lowest grade products on the market to one of the best. Same facility, same product, same spec.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've decided to buy some blacked out emblems for my 2021 laramie. It'll be the rear tailgate Ram head logo, 4x4, and the RAM on both front doors, and RAM on grill.

I've hit a few sites and found them, but I'm trying to get them at a lower cost. Anyone know of a site selling OEM at a good price?

TIA.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finished the siding on my new workshop and figured I'd spoil my truck for a night and actually park it inside for a change. Once I get the inside done and move in all my tools, she'll get banished to the covered area.

She's developed a slight exhaust tick on the passenger side so I'll have to address that on my next days off. I'm assuming a loose or broken exhaust stud but haven't had the time to investigate. I'll likely be fixing it myself since the dealer wants the truck for 3-5 days to check a trouble code so I can only imagine how long they'll want it to do any actual work.

View attachment 142736
Now that's a shop!!!

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MOTOMVR is going places

XtOTS9K.jpg

Idahoktm

Reaction score
odometer hit 1000 miles, so took it in for an oil change.
Using synthetic, now, and Lube guard on its way.

So, you're going to switch to a non synthetic oil? What is Lubeguard? If it's an oil additive, Ram strongly recommends against the use of additives. I'm not sure it would void your warranty, but why push it?

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally washed the truck as we had the first rain of the season and good grief it had so much dirt and oil from the road.

Users who are viewing this thread