5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

U

User_63152

I took my truck in to the local dealer yesterday to have someone look at the battery issue. I got a call from them just a few minutes ago and they are trying to tell me that having aftermarket LED lights in the cab and 3rd brake light caused/or can cause my battery drain. Are you serious?! They can't find anything else that would have caused my battery to die? How about a faulty battery? I am upset. They're keeping it again tonight to charge the battery and see if it starts in the morning. I can already predict the outcome. It hasn't started without a charge/jump since Friday. Get a clue!

downsc123

Reaction score
I took my truck in to the local dealer yesterday to have someone look at the battery issue. I got a call from them just a few minutes ago and they are trying to tell me that having aftermarket LED lights in the cab and 3rd brake light caused/or can cause my battery drain. Are you serious?! They can't find anything else that would have caused my battery to die? How about a faulty battery? I am upset. They're keeping it again tonight to charge the battery and see if it starts in the morning. I can already predict the outcome. It hasn't started without a charge/jump since Friday. Get a clue!
I remember reading somewhere that cheap LEDs can cause the BCM stay active (not go into sleep mode) which keeps a constant drain on the battery. I would simply put the OEM bulbs back in and see if that corrects the problem is the dealer won't look any further. If you still have problems with the OEM bulbs, bring it back.

brenan00

Reaction score
I did the Amazon 3 today before the rain started. They are bolt/tape on, it took 2 hours, no gotchas. The cool thing was, the 3 parts at cost would have been $243, I bought them from the like new pile, and the total was $60, $12 for the aeroskin , $24 for the vent visors, and $24 for the mudguards. The only thing missing from the 3 parts were the alcohol pads for the visors. Laters 5DD850B4-7769-4440-8E23-C22137540F92.jpeg

Last edited:

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the Amazon 3 today before the rain started. They are bolt/tape on, it took 2 hours, no gotchas. The cool thing was, the 3 parts at cost would have been $243, I bought them from the like new pile, and the total was $60, $12 for the aeroskin , $24 for the vent visors, and $24 for the mudguards. The only thing missing from the 3 parts were the alcohol pads for the visors. Laters View attachment 109834
Nice...!
that rain came outta nowhere. And if its raining in Ewa, its raining everywhere! Pearl City was slamming rain at noon!

U

User_63152

I remember reading somewhere that cheap LEDs can cause the BCM stay active (not go into sleep mode) which keeps a constant drain on the battery. I would simply put the OEM bulbs back in and see if that corrects the problem is the dealer won't look any further. If you still have problems with the OEM bulbs, bring it back.
That was the reason that they stated. There is a Star Report, or whatever, on using LED's in the cabin and 3rd brake lights. So, I switched all my lights back to the OEM bulbs. I'm glad I kept them.

Now, I'm worried about my Rigid Ignite aux reverse LED lights. :rolleyes:

We'll see if it drains again.

EDIT - I read the entire "report" and it NEVER states that LED lights can cause battery drain. Their report ONLY covers LED lights interfering with the remote start working. My remote start was working just fine. Duh, when the battery is dead, it won't start no matter what method you use.

They flat out lied to me, and it's my fault for getting flustered at the dealer, and not actually reading that "report" with a clear head. I glossed over it. I just listened to what they were saying and let that influence me into, "well, I guess they're right' mentality.

I am so over this.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User_63152

It actually can if they are faulty/cheap leds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They were all Diode Dynamics LED's. Not cheap at all. But, I switched them all back to OEM bulbs. Glad I kept them.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Isn’t there a BCM setting to select LED or Halogen interior lights?

U

User_63152

Isn’t there a BCM setting to select LED or Halogen interior lights?
You know, I just remembered that there are settings on the Tazer DT for LED lights. But, I took my Tazer DT out. Some super awesome person bought it from me. ;)

I guess I never bothered to change settings. I am not sure if there even was a particular setting for interior or 3rd brake lights, though. Never really bothered to check, I guess.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
You know, I just remembered that there are settings on the Tazer DT for LED lights. But, I took mine out and sold it. LOL

I guess I never bothered to change settings. I am not sure if there even was a particular setting for interior or 3rd brake lights, though.
Also changeable in alfaobd.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

brenan00

Reaction score
Nice...!
that rain came outta nowhere. And if its raining in Ewa, its raining everywhere! Pearl City was slamming rain at noon!
Yep and thanks, Guy Hagi got the weather wrong again. He is pretty accurate, but how can you not be when 95% of the days are, " It is going 80 to 85 with windward and mauka showers in the morning and afternoon". I should change that to the upper Ewa plain. Laters

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You know, I just remembered that there are settings on the Tazer DT for LED lights. But, I took my Tazer DT out. Some super awesome person bought from me. ;)

I guess I never bothered to change settings. I am not sure if there even was a particular setting for interior or 3rd brake lights, though. Never really bothered to check, I guess.
There is a LED third brake light option on the Tazer, but not interior. If it's an option in the BCM, you can contact Z-Automotive and they can look into incorporating it into future firmware updates.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So do you have to reprogram for any LED bulb conversion or is it just the third brake light that has this issue? I’ve been thinking about headlight and taillight bulbs but probably won’t if I have to mess with programming.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So do you have to reprogram for any LED bulb conversion or is it just the third brake light that has this issue? I’ve been thinking about headlight and taillight bulbs but probably won’t if I have to mess with programming.
The 3rd brake light setting does nothing if you replace the bulb with an led. If you replacing the headlights and taillights with factory options, you would need to reprogram.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a LED third brake light option on the Tazer, but not interior. If it's an option in the BCM, you can contact Z-Automotive and they can look into incorporating it into future firmware updates.
The 3rd brake light setting does nothing if you replace the bulb with an led. If you replacing the headlights and taillights with factory options, you would need to reprogram.
Thanks guys, I wasn’t sure which options I saw covering LED’s when I was reading through that really long alfaObd thread.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@ferraiolo1 this last tank using pen and paper is much worse than I thought it would be, and I still babied it for this whole tank. The middle number is the last tank. I do the same 30 mile route each day and don’t deviate much, so the drive is pretty similar every day.

2407DEF5-DC8F-41FC-BDCE-9A3C83A2757E.png

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Dangg.

This is the first truck I’ve owned that I don’t plan on lifting. The tires combined with the decrease in aero efficiency does take a pretty big hit in the mpg department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahoktm

Reaction score
@ferraiolo1 this last tank using pen and paper is much worse than I thought it would be, and I still babied it for this whole tank. The middle number is the last tank. I do the same 30 mile route each day and don’t deviate much, so the drive is pretty similar every day.

View attachment 109869
14.8 is pretty low for a 58/42 split of highway/city, but until you calibrate your speedo your numbers are going to be artificially low.

What's the speed limit on the highway?

Users who are viewing this thread