5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

WReckeR

Reaction score
Another trip, this time just the one motorcycle is going. I'm going down to Greer SC to BMW to compete for a spot on Team USA...me and 50 other people duking it out for a spot on the 3-man team representing USA in Albania next September against 25 other countries. 1100 miles each way for 2 days of competition.

[IMG]
What sort of competition is this?

Also, can you describe your path to get the full bike inside? Do you go up the ramp on the left, then turn toward the right front corner once you're in the bed? Or do you lift and drag it around somehow?

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What sort of competition is this?

Also, can you describe your path to get the full bike inside? Do you go up the ramp on the left, then turn toward the right front corner once you're in the bed? Or do you lift and drag it around somehow?

I guess a video might explain it. The bike is very long. With a 6'4" bed it hangs over about 4 inches of the tail gate so I ride up the ramp then turn right and then just pick it up and move it to the left. BMW Boxers have a tele lever suspension where there's a mono-shock instead of fork springs so you actually anchor down at the lower triple-tree and the bike will bounce up and down on the front shock with the bottom secured. then I just secure the back and off I go. the handlebar straps are for safety only. The bike is heavy but I move it around so much off-road that I'm used to its weight.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/en/experience/stories/adventure/gs-trophy-2022.html

This is what I'm competing in. The qualifier for Team USA is every 2 years. You have to do it on a BMW dual sport / adv bike and you have to own the bike..can't just borrow one. Qualifier is $400 but covers food, water, insurance, course staff and camping for 4 days. Top 3 go to Albania next year

It's being hosted @ BMW's Performance Center in SC for Team USA - https://bmwperformancecenter.com/motorrad/gstrophy

Highly unlikely I'll make it but I am a very active off road rider as an amateur and active in the national BMW Motorcycle clubs as a board member and journalist so it'll just be a fun weekend with some familiar faces.

WReckeR

Reaction score
I guess a video might explain it. The bike is very long. With a 6'4" bed it hangs over about 4 inches of the tail gate so I ride up the ramp then turn right and then just pick it up and move it to the left. BMW Boxers have a tele lever suspension where there's a mono-shock instead of fork springs so you actually anchor down at the lower triple-tree and the bike will bounce up and down on the front shock with the bottom secured. then I just secure the back and off I go. the handlebar straps are for safety only. The bike is heavy but I move it around so much off-road that I'm used to its weight.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/en/experience/stories/adventure/gs-trophy-2022.html

This is what I'm competing in. The qualifier for Team USA is every 2 years. You have to do it on a BMW dual sport / adv bike and you have to own the bike..can't just borrow one. Qualifier is $400 but covers food, water, insurance, course staff and camping for 4 days. Top 3 go to Albania next year

It's being hosted @ BMW's Performance Center in SC for Team USA - https://bmwperformancecenter.com/motorrad/gstrophy

Highly unlikely I'll make it but I am a very active off road rider as an amateur and active in the national BMW Motorcycle clubs as a board member and journalist so it'll just be a fun weekend with some familiar faces.
Very cool! I have only a WR250R, which you can see in my avatar. This is just my 2nd year offroad, but I hope to be a much better and less intimidated rider in the challenging stuff. On easy forest roads and gravel I might do up to 60mph. But "in the gnar" there is much more to consider. I'll have to look into this more, just to see what they throw at the 500 lb + ADV crowd.

Good luck!

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very cool! I have only a WR250R, which you can see in my avatar. This is just my 2nd year offroad, but I hope to be a much better and less intimidated rider in the challenging stuff. On easy forest roads and gravel I might do up to 60mph. But "in the gnar" there is much more to consider. I'll have to look into this more, just to see what they throw at the 500 lb + ADV crowd.

Good luck!

Your bike is more fun than mine anyway! The 250R is surprisingly a top choice for many long distance travelers too. It can go anywhere, parts are everywhere and it's built like a tank. You can buy one used and then sell it for what you paid 5 years from now. Enjoy!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What did I do to the Ram today? Well, I backed into a poll.....🤬🤬🤬🤬

Then as my son was getting out of the truck, he was swinging his water jug and added a dent to the door...

My poor truck cant catch a break today......😭😭
I just backed into a poll on Saturday myself lol

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Good luck!

When ever you want to venture more into the gnar segment. Enjoy some footage from us here in central pa https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ6fPrAgaMf/?utm_medium=copy_link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tika

Reaction score
Ceramic is absolutely worth the extra cost. Far better at keeping heat out. Hit up the YouTube and watch some of the tests.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk
i had ceramic on last truck and for sure it works better than standard tint........my fronts were ceramic and back was standard just putting your hand on them you can feel difference

brenan00

Reaction score
Has anybody seen any good sales for Labor Day? My inbox is usually getting slammed with deals, nothing the last couple days. Thanks

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed my Hellwig sway bar this afternoon. I never had any complaints with the handling on my Rebel, but after a short test drive it seems to handle much better. Easy to install and if you eligible to shop at AAFES, they have it for $196.
How did you get it through AAFES? That’s awesome. I work for MCCS, may have to look into this.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed my running board lights and my Cab lights from Cab Over America a few days ago.
Running board lights were 60 inch bed strips from Amazon.
Ran passenger side up firewall, routed to the driver side through the provided plastic conduit under the cowl. Driver side is right up the firewall, and both strips connect to the Y connector just before going into the grommet in the firewall.
Lights are fused and tapped into the footwell light and goes on with door open or door unlock with key fob. Thanks to another thread that pointed out the wiring. It came out way cleaner than expected, and am super happy with the result.
The cab lights were quite straight forward on the install, may have gone faster had i had help to spot from the front.
No sunroof, so made it even harder. Lay on roof, go back down, go back up, go back down...etc etc...
Love the look, had cab lights on my 04, even drilled the 15 holes to install them. Just didn't have it in me this time, but wanted the look. Is it worth the price? Ask me after they crap out. For now, what's done is done and I think it looks cool! Will not disclose to my wife how much i paid for them. She thinks it looks cool like my old truck, and that's all that matters. The less info, the better.😁
anyways, some pics from the install.

Attachments

• 20210831_175803.jpg
    20210831_175803.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 20210831_191037.jpg
    20210831_191037.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 20210831_191051.jpg
    20210831_191051.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210831_175746.jpg