5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Removed, cleaned, re-greased, and reinstalled my Hellwig sway bar. It was getting a little “creaky” when lowering the truck. Went with the middle setting this time, and I’m liking it so far!
What exactly did you re-grease? D bushings only?? Should I take apart my end link bushings to include removing the sleeve and re-grease? Squeaking seems to get more noticeable as it gets warmer here. Thanks in advance.

Any input is appreciated.

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
You did scuff up the chrome really well before you painted them right??? If not, you may find they will start to peel over time especially with the tips getting hot.
Oh yes prep is always the most important step! I sanded the sh!t out of them before I even thought about hitting them with the paint haha.

jdooms

Reaction score
Played copy cat thanks to a fellow forum member. Just changed up the location.
fd2b712584d64920dc5fe693a6971bad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you attach this? Velcro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quint

Reaction score
I've got one of those rolls of velcro. I copy catted too.

Now my big question is "What else can we buy to velcro with?" I'm trying to see if I can mount some velcro in my boat to add some storage.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What exactly did you re-grease? D bushings only?? Should I take apart my end link bushings to include removing the sleeve and re-grease? Squeaking seems to get more noticeable as it gets warmer here. Thanks in advance.

I would wonder if spraying Fluid Film on these bushings would work other than using plumbers tape?

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought about the fluid film as I have some sitting in my garage. Plumbers tape???

I'm trying to remember where I saw it but I thought I read that someone wrapped the bar in plumbers tape where the bushing would be and they haven't had any issues in 18 months since they did it. I'll try to hunt it down.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Those “D bushings” rotate on the sway bar shaft when raising and lowering the truck, and they sounded nasty (clicking, creaking). After cleaning the gritty old grease out of them, I buttered them with some nice red synthetic grease, and they slide easily.

I think the crinkle finish that Hellwig puts on the bars actually caused the issue, as it was worn off (probably creating the gritty-ness) where those bushings mount. Now those areas are worn pretty smooth, and maybe the new grease will last a lot longer.

tdager

Reaction score
Great to hear!

I just ordered them in 275/50R22 to give me more sidewall. Should be in next week. It was either that or the Continental AT's in stock size.

I also changed the cabin filter.
Post up a pic when you get the tires installed, I would like to see how they look. I too am thinking of a bit more sidewall on my 22's but want to stay stock on the rims.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No more peel and stick badges on my truck.
Did the tailgate a while back, but finally got around to doing the doors.

Users who are viewing this thread