5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The gap between the Rambox and the tailgate, which is about an inch or so. It allows water to get into the bed of the truck even with a tonneau on the truck. I've also had pollen, leaves, and flower petals getting into my truck bed even though there is a tonneau. I've been testing out a couple of different sealing methods to find something to water-proof those gaps.

What’s the best gap-filler you’ve found so far? I’d like to fill this gap as well... or at lest 90% fill it. Something better than a gaping hole would be great

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Continued my chrome delete journey. 2 day project including cure time.

Supplies
View attachment 54185
Before
View attachment 54186
After much wet sanding
View attachment 54187
Primed 3 coats.
View attachment 54194
Painted 4 coats
View attachment 54195 View attachment 54196 View attachment 54197 View attachment 54198
Overall happy with the outcome. Time will tell how well they will hold up.
Update on my exhaust tip paint project.....I don't recommend this, mine have started peeling already :LOL: . Maybe I did it wrong maybe I didn't but none the less taking them in for powder coat tomorrow (y).

Last edited:

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
The gap between the Rambox and the tailgate, which is about an inch or so. It allows water to get into the bed of the truck even with a tonneau on the truck. I've also had pollen, leaves, and flower petals getting into my truck bed even though there is a tonneau. I've been testing out a couple of different sealing methods to find something to water-proof those gaps.
Now I get it. So I haven't noticed this issue because I am still in the decision process of what bed cover I want to invest in. Thank you for the clarification. I will keep this issue in mind down the road when I do actually buy a bed cover.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Saw some bed lighting questions from yesterday. All I saw was tapping into the cargo lights. When I installed mine I tapped into the hitch power and installed a rocker switch in the bed. Doing this gave me the capability of being able to turn the lights on whenever I want and not just when opening a door or having my keys on me.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
That looks fantastic! Are you getting any rubbing at all with that size? I've been debating going for the Nitto Ridge or G2's, though I was hoping the larger tires would soften the ride up a little instead of the other way around. These 22's make me miss my 20's as far as ride quality is concerned.
Yes, def rub with 285/55/r22. Heres my crap write-up on clearing my fender wells for this size:
285-55r22-nitto-ridge-grapplers-on-stock-no-lift-heatgun-for-tirerubs

As far as ride quality, Tbh as long as u keep these RG around 50psi...ride is really good.

Fwiw, I believe u can run RG in 33x12.5x22 and have no rub at all. But it's a smaller diam tire

dv8er

Reaction score
What’s the best gap-filler you’ve found so far? I’d like to fill this gap as well... or at lest 90% fill it. Something better than a gaping hole would be great
Now I get it. So I haven't noticed this issue because I am still in the decision process of what bed cover I want to invest in. Thank you for the clarification. I will keep this issue in mind down the road when I do actually buy a bed cover.

I'll probably make a separate post if and when I find a solution worth recommending. 1" expanding foam didn't seal as well as I hoped; it loses water resistance the more expanded it gets. I currently just have 3/4" rubber foam on there now, but it doesn't fill the gap completely and the adhesive isn't good on the tape I have. I think I might try a stacked solution of using 1/2" - 3/4" rubber foam together with a strip of the tailgate seal I have to really seal it up.

Yes, def rub with 285/55/r22. Heres my crap write-up on clearing my fender wells for this size:
285-55r22-nitto-ridge-grapplers-on-stock-no-lift-heatgun-for-tirerubs

As far as ride quality, Tbh as long as u keep these RG around 50psi...ride is really good.

Fwiw, I believe u can run RG in 33x12.5x22 and have no rub at all. But it's a smaller diam tire

Thanks for the share and nice job on that fix.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
How do you like the the way it drives with the new tires. I have 22's and deciding between what
As far as ride quality, Tbh as long as u keep these RG around 50psi...ride is really good. Same as stock imo
Edit: Definitely wallows in turns more (heli-bar in my future)

Doc33

Reaction score
How do you like the the way it drives with the new tires. I have 22's and deciding between what
Same here, like the look of the 285/55 but tempted to go with the 285/50 just for clearance. If anyone has pics of that size and could post would be helpful

STOKED

Reaction score
Installed JBL clubman's in the upper dash corners and center.

20200507_135354.jpg 20200507_140703.jpg

And kicker 6 1/2" in the 4 doors.

20200507_165230.jpg

If anyone is thinking of doing something similar, I would recommend skipping the front doors, they're purely for low end and pretty quiet. Just do the dash and rear doors.

ny2az

Reaction score
l tried this upgrade on the dash speakers only and really didn't notice and improvemnet and actually lost volume level ... what's your opinion on the dash upgrade ... thx

K_Hub

Reaction score
Been looking at those cases. Can you tell if they would work with the cargo rails in the bed?

Finally got my swingcases back from getting lined and put back in. You have 4” of clearance towards the back and 5” towards the cab. I added some pictures below.

Damn, these things look so much better after they’re lined.

Another heads up if you pull the trigger on the swing cases. Call undercover direct and buy a set of replacement lids. The lids get scuffed up over time (this may not bother you but it drives me crazy). For $50 they will send you 2 replacement lids with hinges installed and an additional 4 hinges with the hinge extraction tool. This should more than cover you for the life of the truck. My stock of swing case parts in my garage is getting excessive but I’ve got brackets, lids, and hinges in case of an issue in the future.

49e195e5e77cb967df2b71efd3f60846.jpg

97115d52aea68b49e61ce229b1bd173d.jpg

c57096032704d4b5aee6d4b8b7a600ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

STOKED

Reaction score
l tried this upgrade on the dash speakers only and really didn't notice and improvemnet and actually lost volume level ... what's your opinion on the dash upgrade ... thx
Really? Which speakers did you go with? I noticed a major difference in the highs and overall clarity. Same with the rear door speakers. Keep in mind that the polarity is reversed on our systems, so you have to swap the wires around to get the best sound quality.

Last edited:

ny2az

Reaction score
Really? Which speakers did you go with? I noticed a major difference in the highs and overall clarity. Same with the rear door speakers. Keep in mind that the polarity is reversed on our systems, so you have to swap the wires around to get the best sound quality.

l have the HK system and tried the infinity speakers ... do you have the HK or the alpine

Last edited:

STOKED

Reaction score
l have the HK system ... do you have the HK or the alpine
I have the alpine, but I believe yours is reversed too. I might be wrong though, maybe someone else can answer. You can always give it a test, it won’t hurt anything.

YellowSled

Reaction score
Saw some bed lighting questions from yesterday. All I saw was tapping into the cargo lights. When I installed mine I tapped into the hitch power and installed a rocker switch in the bed. Doing this gave me the capability of being able to turn the lights on whenever I want and not just when opening a door or having my keys on me.
also enables someone(or yourself) to leave then on indefinitely if the switch is not turned off.

dv8er

Reaction score
also enables someone(or yourself) to leave then on indefinitely if the switch is not turned off.

I installed the same LED bed light kit that I have now in my '14 RAM via wiring to constant power with its own switch. I left it on overnight a few times and over a full weekend at least once, and I never had battery drain issues. I don't think the LEDs draw enough power to be much of a concern. I had a hardcover tonneau that I left unlocked and loved being able to access the bed and the lighting switch without having my keys on me. I wired my current strips up to the factory bed lights, but if the short power-off delay of the lights becomes annoying I may switch that to a constant connection with the separate button again.

antwon412

Reaction score
Drove it to Taco Bell last night for some some late night night deliciousness.

First time driving it at night - the LED headlights are great. One of my favorite features of new cars.
190 miles on it now. Sigh. Sure would like to take it out and get some real use out of it. Hopefully soon.

Users who are viewing this thread