5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got my new side moldings on from Sportwing Dawn. They are factory styled (well made) IMG_2989.jpg and custom painted with exact matching paint code so perfect color match. I chose the black insert as it adds a slight bit of overall thickness to moulding as I want to maximize side protection from idiots and their careless door opening in parking lots. I used blue tape for a mounting line and placed them up to edge of lower crease to maximize protection. I think they look good as Rebel is two tone paint. They protrude about the same as the RAM side letters. What do you think??? Sorry truck is dirty! I noticed that the sheet metal is "springy" as I pressed along moldings to maximize adhesive bond. With the design of the molding having a secondary insert of black my hope is that the molding will share and spread the energy of a door edge hitting it and the spring of metal will absorb hit without a permanent metal distortion. (sort of shock absorber to spread impact force) .....just my theory :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpg
    IMG_2988.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2990.jpg
    IMG_2990.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2991.jpg
    IMG_2991.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
Finally got my new side moldings on from Sportwing Dawn. They are factory styled (well made) View attachment 23861 and custom painted with exact matching paint code so perfect color match. I chose the black insert as it adds a slight bit of overall thickness to moulding as I want to maximize side protection from idiots and their careless door opening in parking lots. I used blue tape for a mounting line and placed them up to edge of lower crease to maximize protection. I think they look good as Rebel is two tone paint. They protrude about the same as the RAM side letters. What do you think??? Sorry truck is dirty!

Look great, Jhill. I have a set arriving Monday and am stoked to put them on. :cool:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look great, Jhill. I have a set arriving Monday and am stoked to put them on. :cool:
Thanks!!! Their intended design is to be placed 1/8" or more lower than where I put them but I think the two tone black made placement more forgiving. At least you can see what placing them higher up to crease line looks like. It still follows the style lines. Quality of paint was very smooth and glossy. Insert of black had a little distortion that wasn't perfectly straight but acceptable. Nice wide 3M tape to secure them. (y) They recommend sheet metal to be at least 75 degree so I did mine in direct sun so paint warm.

Shootin' Nuke

Reaction score
Picked up my Mopar hard tri-fold tonneau and got it installed last night. I'll probably have to fiddle with the latches a little bit, but I've got it working pretty well. I'll let it sit for a few days then adjust from there. I live relatively close to BAMWholesaleParts.com, so I was able to save shipping by going up and getting it at their place. The discount (vs. the local dealers) was worth the drive. IMG_20190501_202429_01.jpg

Rob3989

Reaction score
That looks awesome - what did that run you if you dont mind me asking? I considered doing that too just not sure of the cost of it.

I get ridiculous deals from my local shop but a box like this without the subs would usually run $1000-$1500.

schwegel89

Reaction score
Ordered my Draw-Tite Class V Trailer Hitch. I was looking for a class IV but e-trailer doesn’t do military discounts so I have Car-ID a call and I got the Class V hitch for $234 shipped to my door!
0bedd34eee0741f40e6ecfff41564f93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That’s the first thing I’m getting for my truck. I’m just stuck between the OEM liner or Line-X.

If you are talking about a plastic drop-in bed liner or Line-X...Line-X all the way. Plastic bed liners are so 1980ish and all they do is rub the paint off the bed and rust out the bed. Totally not worth it and a bad idea with so many other options to choose from in 2019.

schwegel89

Reaction score
If you are talking about a plastic drop-in bed liner or Line-X...Line-X all the way. Plastic bed liners are so 1980ish and all they do is rub the paint off the bed and rust out the bed. Totally not worth it and a bad idea with so many other options to choose from in 2019.

Totally forgot about the plastic liners destroying the paint on the inside of the bed. Yea, I’m going to bite the bullet and get Line-X. I heard Line-C is a better brand than Rhino Liner now. Is that true?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It went fine. Installed it in about 2 hours after I got it. Realtruck has a video on youtube on how to install.

I am only looking to better understand since I have never used or even thought of using a bed rug in any truck I have ever owned. Why a bed rug and not a Line-X spray in liner? I know the bed rug is far better than a plastic drop-in liner but what is the benefit to the bed rug besides being cheaper?

WasatchBack

Reaction score
I am only looking to better understand since I have never used or even thought of using a bed rug in any truck I have ever owned. Why a bed rug and not a Line-X spray in liner? I know the bed rug is far better than a plastic drop-in liner but what is the benefit to the bed rug besides being cheaper?
More cushion for the knees, stops stuff from sliding around, protects interior contents from damage to some degree. Not much different than a car trunk if you have a bed cover too.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Totally forgot about the plastic liners destroying the paint on the inside of the bed. Yea, I’m going to bite the bullet and get Line-X. I heard Line-C is a better brand than Rhino Liner now. Is that true?

I was never a fan of Rhino Liners and most everyone I have ever spoken to said that Line-X is the better of the two. I have had 2 Line-X beds and never an issue with either one. My Limited came with the factory spray in liner or I would have done the Line-X without hesitation.

schwegel89

Reaction score
I was never a fan of Rhino Liners and most everyone I have ever spoken to said that Line-X is the better of the two. I have had 2 Line-X beds and never an issue with either one. My Limited came with the factory spray in liner or I would have done the Line-X without hesitation.

Ok great. Thank you for the info. I’ll be getting the Line-X for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread