5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Tydog96

Reaction score
Not today, but last week, gave the wheels a good cleaning since they were looking a little rough. Used chemical guys Diablo wheel cleaner and VRP. Here’s the results.

I'm a true believer in Tuf-shine for the tires. You can get on Amazon or order it direct - and a little bit goes a very long ways. I've ran it on multiple cars very successfully and then just hit with a brush at wash time. I'm not a big high-shine tire person to start, and this stuff puts a clean clear-coat on them that has a bit of shine, is tough and lasts a very long time. That said, I have multiple vehicles and they are parked inside. The last tire change on my convertible, the tire shop guy thought I was nuts when I requested to take the tires home and then bring them back to be mounted. It was just so easy to do a perfect job before they were mounted on rims. A tire should not stand out from the rest of the vehicle with its shine, but compliment the vehicle by not looking like raw (new) rubber or dirty/worn. IMO.

Interesting side note on this story, I got the 4 tires home, laid them down in the front yard to clean with the special Tuf-shine rubber cleaner, and noticed one looked different inside (no ribs). Compared, and noticed that tire had slight different rounding of the corners, and a very, very slight width difference. ALL Tire markings and model was exactly the same - fine-tooth combed them - just the lot number was different. Had them order me 4 more from their warehouse. Had I not done this, they would have just blindly mounted them, I probably would have never noticed, and I would have had one tire that technically did not match. Would it have made any difference, who knows. I would have been glad that i DIDN'T know for sure.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I also found what hopefully is the knock over bumps and potholes, which I've spent the last couple months chasing down many different rabbit holes. One of the rear seat back plastic bushings wasn't seated properly and there was metal on metal contact with the bracket on the back wall. Top photo shows what it should normally look like
IMG_20200918_113634~2.jpg
IMG_20200918_113554~3.jpg

Fishwiz

Reaction score
I took it to the trailhead of the mountain biking trail, and gave it a merit badge for a job well done.
27ccab4d627c87b7f00a66b4de949c98.jpg
248cda09d159346301fa89fcf7b1f0fc.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RamVader

Reaction score
I spent the weekend applying this hybrid solutions Ceramic acrylic black polish on Saturday and hybrid solutions Ceramic acrylic black wax on Sunday. All I can say is holy ****. The truck looks like it’s wet! I am very impressed with this product! It is specially formulated for black vehicles. It has a black pigment in it that covers up slight scratches and swirls. The instructions stated to wait 24 hours after you apply the polish. Took me about four hours to apply the polish with a random orbital buffer. 24 hours later I applied the spray wax. Here are the results.
05a50cd47292c7f061777816f3035597.jpg

b6beb1575223385fdc8c55ab4b840610.jpg

b1e3add8c1ba57dde1019632d0423325.jpg

1efa5236f62fb88e0dd12b50bf1e88c0.jpg

496fc4f3673f2af7f2bc8a79c370826b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Tried out my first action cam, a $49 non-GoPro, for the first time in my truck. I like the video quality, however I'm not liking the audio too much, seems to pick-up various sounds and amplifying them in the video.

Drove through my likely new neighborhood, a 5 mile truck trail, maybe some video/audio experts can give me some tips about my setup? It's mounted on a suction cup mount just under the rear view mirror on the windshield, shot in 1080p, however rendered on YouTube at 720p because I was in a rush to process. The audio doesn't seem any better in 1080 regardless. Maybe it's not the setup and I need to step up to an actual GoPro?

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I spent the weekend applying this hybrid solutions Ceramic acrylic black polish on Saturday and hybrid solutions Ceramic acrylic black wax on Sunday. All I can say is holy ****. The truck looks like it’s wet! I am very impressed with this product! It is specially formulated for black vehicles. It has a black pigment in it that covers up slight scratches and swirls. The instructions stated to wait 24 hours after you apply the polish. Took me about four hours to apply the polish with a random orbital buffer. 24 hours later I applied the spray wax. Here are the results.
05a50cd47292c7f061777816f3035597.jpg

b6beb1575223385fdc8c55ab4b840610.jpg

b1e3add8c1ba57dde1019632d0423325.jpg

1efa5236f62fb88e0dd12b50bf1e88c0.jpg

496fc4f3673f2af7f2bc8a79c370826b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic is my favorite new product, makes the paint gleam and easier to clean. Just a note, works great on plastics, rubber trim, even glass. So pretty much your whole truck's exterior can be sprayed and protected by it.

LessDodgeMoreRam

Reaction score
I'm a true believer in Tuf-shine for the tires. You can get on Amazon or order it direct - and a little bit goes a very long ways.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll be sure to check it out. I also wasn’t a huge fan of the initial shiny look with the VRP. Just wanted it to be black and not brown.

TNSmokee

Reaction score
Overlay for rear 4x4 badge (now all have a black ‘fill’) on the back, and did the slider flag vinyl. Even after I unboxed the flag vinyl I had my doubts but figured it’s on glass and I can easily remove it if I didn’t like it. And I LOVE it!! It really blends in most of the time and then you see it and it just pops! Even my wife noticed and said that it looked really good (and she only tolerates my constant ocd with everything!) View attachment 69011
View attachment 69012
What did you use for your thin blue line, and where did you get it? I bought the Luxe pano overlay and wanted to add the thin blue line either on the outside on top or on the inside where it can be seen. I won't know which until I get the overlay installed.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tried out my first action cam, a $49 non-GoPro. I like the video quality, however I'm not liking the audio too much, seems to pick-up various sounds and amplifying them in the video.

Got a link / info on the camera? I’ve given up on the GoPro brand after the Hero Black series had to be replaced 6x for battery and PCB failures (under warranty, I just got very unlucky); the DJI Osmo action cam is one of the better competitors but for the $50 price tag, that’s pretty good quality. one issue with all cams is they don’t have a gradient filter to shade the sky, causing video to be overblown/unbalanced.

As for audio, I doubt there’s much you can do other than add a mic buffer (its like a goatee for the mic) which can help dampen high/low pitch sounds

TNSmokee

Reaction score
Not today, but last week, gave the wheels a good cleaning since they were looking a little rough. Used chemical guys Diablo wheel cleaner and VRP. Here’s the results.

742c69c78d8064b2bdbcc97c790d2c76.jpg

081dddac397233ebc5d5c546164abb3b.jpg

The wheel cleaner didn’t wow me. I don’t think it did much more than a normal car soap couldn’t do. The tires ended up still faded and brownish after the cleaning. But VRP is pretty amazing. Got the tires looking black. I also use it on my vinyl wrap and interior plastics so it’s pretty versatile.
A week later and the tires are still looking pretty fresh.

f35360ce70e13f418e470abb02c1e9d2.jpg
Does that stuff sling up on the paint?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Got a link / info on the camera? I’ve given up on the GoPro brand after the Hero Black series had to be replaced 6x for battery and PCB failures (under warranty, I just got very unlucky); the DJI Osmo action cam is one of the better competitors but for the $50 price tag, that’s pretty good quality. one issue with all cams is they don’t have a gradient filter to shade the sky, causing video to be overblown/unbalanced.

As for audio, I doubt there’s much you can do other than add a mic buffer (its like a goatee for the mic) which can help dampen high/low pitch sounds

Sure, here is the link; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821FV3F6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's gone up in price, I originally paid $49 before tax for it. Though they do have cheaper packages if you go with the slightly older version, which is still 4K capable at $38: https://www.amazon.com/VanTop-Compa...=p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sr=8-3

All these knock-off actions cams pretty much use the GoPro ecosystem, so all your GoPro mounts will work with it. Just note battery time is only about 1 hour of constant use, though it comes with 2 batteries and and a USB charger, so you can keep charging and powering it up on the go if you need to.

I have to say, I have been overall very happy with it except for the audio, but as you mentioned, that may have more to do with my setup. I'll check out that mic buffer you mentioned. The only experience I've had with it has been on the tank of my motorcycle. Sounds decent with the waterproof case on it, but in the truck is made a weird echo. Sounds better without the case inside the truck, but still not liking what it sometimes picks up.

Note the sound difference when mounted on my bike with the waterproof case on it, don't mind the date & haven't set it at this point:

Last edited:

TNSmokee

Reaction score
I'm a true believer in Tuf-shine for the tires. You can get on Amazon or order it direct - and a little bit goes a very long ways. I've ran it on multiple cars very successfully and then just hit with a brush at wash time. I'm not a big high-shine tire person to start, and this stuff puts a clean clear-coat on them that has a bit of shine, is tough and lasts a very long time. That said, I have multiple vehicles and they are parked inside. The last tire change on my convertible, the tire shop guy thought I was nuts when I requested to take the tires home and then bring them back to be mounted. It was just so easy to do a perfect job before they were mounted on rims. A tire should not stand out from the rest of the vehicle with its shine, but compliment the vehicle by not looking like raw (new) rubber or dirty/worn. IMO.

Interesting side note on this story, I got the 4 tires home, laid them down in the front yard to clean with the special Tuf-shine rubber cleaner, and noticed one looked different inside (no ribs). Compared, and noticed that tire had slight different rounding of the corners, and a very, very slight width difference. ALL Tire markings and model was exactly the same - fine-tooth combed them - just the lot number was different. Had them order me 4 more from their warehouse. Had I not done this, they would have just blindly mounted them, I probably would have never noticed, and I would have had one tire that technically did not match. Would it have made any difference, who knows. I would have been glad that i DIDN'T know for sure.
So now I'll ask you the same question I asked the previous poster. Does this one sling up on the paint? I've tried several different ones and most want to sling up on the paint. I've tried a light wipe off and letting it dry but I still get little black smears aound the wheel wells and along the rocker panels.

hratiu

Reaction score
I installed the Weathertech bed liner. I have a hard tri-fold tonneau, so I felt springing for a spray in liner was overkill. Went with the Weathertech. It was $224 and wasn't too hard to put in. I assume if you haul loads that cause friction with the liner pulling them out the liner is probably not great, but for occasional use to stop scratches this works fine.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Westin in channel

8e39e52988a71c22a39cba044e353b8b.jpg

fb33c46243b864ac9ef12ee88ac053bd.jpg

Undecided on whether I like them or not. Already know they need to be modded to get out of the way of the folding mirrors

Users who are viewing this thread