5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Mason1217

Reaction score
The drivers side tailgate cable has more slack when unlaiden because of the assist strut that's mounted to the drivers side, as soon as weights applied to the gate both cables should go taught, if they don't then you have an issue. Drop the gate and sit on it and feel the tension in the cables they should feel similar.
+1 on this. Any weight and they will both take the weight.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on this. Any weight and they will both take the weight.
@Billet1500 4x4 and @Mason1217 Perhaps this is true for some tailgate cables and folks can try your test, but your explanation is not true in all cases... Something is absolutely wrong with some tailgate mounts/cable lengths.

For instance I do not have the assist strut and the left cable is slack. Others have said their right cable is slack. When I put weight on my tailgate (no dampener strut) the right is tight, but the left is still slack and it absolutely won’t take on a load unless I twist the tailgate itself... which I don’t want to do lest it bend and not close or bend out of visual alignment.

Lettika

Reaction score
@Billet1500 4x4 and @Mason1217 Perhaps this is true for some tailgate cables and folks can try your test, but your explanation is not true in all cases... Something is absolutely wrong with some tailgate mounts/cable lengths.

For instance I do not have the assist strut and the left cable is slack. Others have said their right cable is slack. When I put weight on my tailgate (no dampener strut) the right is tight, but the left is still slack and it absolutely won’t take on a load unless I twist the tailgate itself... which I don’t want to do lest it bend and not close or bend out of visual alignment.

This is my case as well and I do have the dampened tailgate

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
I measured mine. Half inch difference. When I sit my fat self on the gate there is still less tension in the drivers side than in the passenger side. I noticed this even before I put the factory dampener in. Will be at the dealer on the 28th for a remote start.

fireron

Reaction score
Mine also has slack in the driver's side cable, with the dampener. This is the first thing amiss in my Ram. Good thing, but the slack is bad especially on an aluminum tailgate .

Mason1217

Reaction score
Well balls, sorry gang, I figured it was just the way it was made so it would be the same for all the models made since I'm sure they pull cables from the same bin for every single truck that rolls off the line. It now appears that it's a complete mystery lol :unsure:
This forum has made me wish I could transfer a mile up the road to the assembly plant to get a bunch of inside answers for everyone lol

Last edited:

Americantruck04

Reaction score
The drivers side tailgate cable has more slack when unlaiden because of the assist strut that's mounted to the drivers side, as soon as weights applied to the gate both cables should go taught, if they don't then you have an issue. Drop the gate and sit on it and feel the tension in the cables they should feel similar.
Had the same issue cables where on wrong side

Hahny

Reaction score
Installed Husky mud flaps, great fit and look great IMHO. They did forget one pack of hardware and the 3M material to protect the paint. I had extra so that was not a problem. The factory screws are better than the Husky ones anyway so no loss there.

I tried to install the AVS wind deflectors but the way they want you install them is a no go for the rear windows. The instructions want you to insert the forward part between the channel rubber and the outside trim. No way on mine, I would have to almost rip the rubber seal to get the deflector inserted. So...back they go. I tried Wade brand before on my Rubicon but they only lasted 6 months before disintegrating. I will wait for the Weathertech ones.

I also ordered some door moldings from CARid. The brand is Dawn and they offer match painted, chrome and a combo of both if anyone has been looking for some. Similar style to the molding on some Limiteds.
I would like to see pictures of the door moldings installed!

DanB

Reaction score
Sure here you go!
Hey Bud!! Truck looks good!!! Was just wondering the rub you were getting was that when wheels were fully cranked?? Got pretty much the same set up you have coming up !!!

fireron

Reaction score
I would like to see pictures of the door moldings installed!
I chose the custom painted ones with the chrome insert. It will probably be two weeks before they arrive but I will post a pic once installed.

kioteh

Reaction score
Got my MagnaFlow cat back installed today. Its a perfect sound for what I was looking for. Its got a great low rumble when you first start it up and is pretty aggressive when you get on the gas pretty good. At highway cruising it quiets down to almost stock (a little more rumble than stock, but not a lot). The installer told me that he's done hundreds of these type of installs and that this one was practically bolt on with no cutting or custom work needed.

Lettika

Reaction score
Installed the Mopar Bed Step today. Very easy install, it was not just like the directions called for though, but easy enough to see what was supposed to happen. Step deploy's perfectly. I have to work on my technique for putting it away as you need to push it forward only and your inclination is to push it down and forward. Really glad I held out for the Mopar unit though. The others don't look nearly as clean when put away!!

SlowArrow

Reaction score
Installed WeatherTech mudflaps on all four corners today. I’m not a big fan of add-on mudflaps as they usually make the truck look like an old guys rig. Then I realized.....what the heck, I am an old guy! In the end these are really nice units, and looks pretty good even on a light colored truck.

Peterm1992

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to install some of my add ons what do you guys think ?
Rains guards, Oem Mud flaps, full tint all around, Running Boards, color Matched most of the emblems
If you guys need any info on the installation or items let me know

Attachments

• 40CE5A0B-FE06-4BDF-82BB-96DA62E9C6D7.jpeg
    40CE5A0B-FE06-4BDF-82BB-96DA62E9C6D7.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 326
  • 61749208-D748-49BF-9D58-57005959E365.jpeg
    61749208-D748-49BF-9D58-57005959E365.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 332
  • E7B9E989-644F-47E2-92FD-36D032F87240.jpeg
    E7B9E989-644F-47E2-92FD-36D032F87240.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 328
  • 630858A6-D010-4B5A-8256-14AC8DE671AC.jpeg
    630858A6-D010-4B5A-8256-14AC8DE671AC.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 315

RenoRam

Reaction score
Rains guards, Oem Mud flaps, full tint all around, Running Boards, color Matched most of the emblems
Sharp looking (y)

kjn86

Reaction score

Looks good! Noticed you have the side mirrors in the "tow" position rotated. Do you drive like this all the time? I kept mine in the standard position but was curious. Thanks.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a clear bra put on the Limited this afternoon. Got to protect that painted bumper.

Peterm1992

Reaction score
Looks good! Noticed you have the side mirrors in the "tow" position rotated. Do you drive like this all the time? I kept mine in the standard position but was curious. Thanks.
I use both it depends if your used to tow mirrors i had tow
Mirrors on most of my trucks so I’m used to it and plus I like the way they look

Fedexguy

Reaction score
Too all looking to put a bug and stone deflator on thier new ram, Get the one right from ram. I got three yes three from different after market companies and none of them fit right. When it comes to the a bed liner get linex or Rhino it's well worth the money in the end. I got a Linex and love it. Next is a remote start from ram.

Users who are viewing this thread