5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Installed the @SKT Customs Center Console Switch Panel Mount + Cupholder. Looks OEM and probably my favorite spot I’ve had my Switch Panel by far! Ended up moving my tablet and tablet holder into the new Cupholder and my wife is now super thankful. 🤣 It slides all the way forward and back as well if you want and works with a lockbox if you have one. The cable gets tucked up under the center console with clips provided from SKT, tucked down the left channel where the phone holders/wireless charges are, and goes behind the Screen for a clean looking install.
Thanks for the post brotha! So happy we could make something useful for your truck. They’ll be back in stock very soon!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I do off-road my truck but nothing extreme. Mainly just light sand, kinda disappointed that it let go.
it happens.
at least it lasted 55k. my 4runner (one of those "supposed to go million miles with nothing but oil change toyotas" boot didn't last 30k and it only saw dirt twice lol

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just get a H8 AGM and be done. No need for something fancy for a starting battery. You already have a separate battery for your accessories.
oh yeah the AGM will work just fine
i can get one LIFEPO4 starting battery for free (trade my old one that doesn't work on the Rebel in) and provide usage insights for the company so i want to know what to expect before telling the company to reserve a battery for me lol

that and i'm really running out of easy mods i can do at home and i'm getting bored :ROFLMAO:
the other mods i plan on doing are more fabrication stuff and those are not really "do it at home" without me dropping $$$$$ for tools

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even though I just installed a fancy starting battery, I recognize the truth of what you suggest. It may be the better approach.

So why did I go the lithium route? If it works out, there’s something elegant about the idea of one battery to rule them all. One battery to start the truck, power my lights, fridge, heated mattress pad, and other camping gear.

Recharge that one battery with the solar panels and charge controlled I’ve already got. No need to install a DC-DC charger to keep a secondary battery charged when sun isn’t plentiful. No need to make space for that second battery.

If everything works out, I love that I save space, weight, and time since I don’t have to hookup my battery pack. Trivial, I know, but there is a certain elegance to everything being part of the truck, always ready to go.

So, while I wouldn’t recommend my approach to everyone, it would be an elegant solution for my needs, and the wiring required is within my abilities (and, I’ll admit, I enjoy that part of building my “rig”).

But I’ve still got questions about the long term health of a lithium battery in the engine bay. Even “long term” reviews are limited to a year or two at this point. This might end up being an expensive experiment, where I took one for the team (you’re welcome!), and maybe an AGM, DC-DC charger, and secondary lithium battery (which I already owned), would have been smarter.
what you said is true 100%.
I was told about heat and LiFEPO4 starting battery but I did not have issues with it. My friend's got the same LiFEPO4 in his Taco for 2 years already and no problem. I gave my LiFEPO4 to my friend to use on his GX since I sold the 4Runner and so far no problem. Granted, they don't daily their rigs (I did) so the findings regarding heat exposure probably is not going to be accurate.

With the Lithium, some do have a separate "bank" and contains self-jumping function as well. So that also eliminates the need for a jumper pack. Another thing about lithium is that they do charge fast. I drained my lithium once (even with 100w solar panel connected, it doesn't really work on rainy days lol) and only found out about it when I was going to drive it after 3 days of rain and leaving the fridge on. Self-jump worked! Another time I drained it overnight but with 100w of solar panel and sitting under the sun for a few hours it charged enough to start the rig without using self-jump feature.

For most guys who go camping and need to run accessories (fridge, lights, etc), this would be the easiest way to approach things IF it works fine long term. One night of continuous fridge use and camp lights should leave enough juice to start the truck the next morning, and eliminates the need for charger and house battery and all that jazz. Pricy, yes, but you do have the peace of mind that you can always get the truck started and the weight savings. The fast rate of charging is something that traditional batteries don't get as well.

BUT, for guys who gotta be the "reliable" one for group trips (aka, being the chef, the kitchen, the comm hub with starlink, etc) or be long-term soloing and don't want to "rough it" (aka me lol), a secondary or even tertiary individual systems are highly recommended (aka me... have one individual system in cab and another in camper).

Some drawbacks on the Lithium (and hence why I haven't mess with it just yet) are:
  • It requires ~14v to be kept happy. That means messing with truck's computer and I'm not the greatest or most confident about that part
  • Heat. Dakota listed that their PLUS line is good to operate between -20 - 150F. Not so sure about that though.

Reactions: TSL

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck got some upgrades, am finally getting a chance to post. Been collecting parts over the last few months, had them installed last week Friday.
Fox 2.5 coilovers, 2.0 rears and new wheels, TIS 547B 22x10 -19 offset, mounted on my current Falken RT01’s.
Was happy with my Bilstein 6112/5100 setup, but after test driving a used 22’ Laramie a few months back that had Fox 2.0’s and stock 22’s with Toyo AT3 33x12.5 tires, I was slightly irritated by how different the ride was, AND with less tire than me.

Am running it with my Icon 1.5 rear springs and ReadyLift UCA’s. I had a coupon for $100 off a pair of 2.0’s, and is a major reason why I went with them instead of 2.5’s all around. Had the Fox stuff purchased from and installed by my local 4 Wheel Parts shop, along with a 5 yr. 60k warranty. Also had them install some Eibach spring sleeves to quiet the clanking from the Icon springs. In the end, a well done install.

Wheels are from Audio City. Great price and even greater shipping rate out to me. Helps it coming from one coastal port, also. Was considering the black/milled design but went gloss black instead. I used to hate all black wheels, but after my first set, I was hooked. Really am happy how they look.

On tape, I retained my rear height and lost about an inch up front with the swap. Had a 1/2 inch of rake, now am about 1.5 inches of rake, but I just can't see it. Truck still looks like almost level.
I know I am different up front for sure because they had to remove the front mud flaps. I still rub the inner corner of the trim piece, and will need to cut that portion also.
Not sure how much of that is from the wheel offset or the height change. Considering adding a bit more preload, but trying not to degrade the upgraded ride. I take it back to them in 10 days for a checkup, will make my decision by then.

With the new offset, it made sense to remove my spacers. The -19 gave it a bit more poke, and I want to still be able to pass the yearly state inspections as is. Unfortunately, no mud flap means more carnage down the rocker panel...oh well. Truck also needs a wash...badly.

I have it set at factory ride for the DSC adjustment. My daily drive is much different, in a good way. Will play with it over the next few days, but so far, so good. Lots of good information on dialing them in on this forum...thank you, guys!

A pretty different ride compared to prior. Truck feels more planted, but there is just a tad bit more body roll than with the previous setup. My on ramp is a loop and the difference was felt immediately. But the regular potholes and road whoops that I experience daily were soaked up more than the Bilsteins. I loved the firmness of that ride, but sometimes a little too firm. With the road condition on my daily drive, I prefer a little more comfort over firmness at this point. Havent taken them off road yet, hope to in a couple of weeks when I go on leave. Norhing crazy, mostly beach/sand, dirt and reef edges. Most trails here fit Tacos, not full size trucks.
May end up upgrading to 2.5's in the rear if and when I go full kit. For now, am liking the change to Fox shocks.
20240413_093534.jpg 20240413_093541.jpg 20240413_093607.jpg 20240413_093648.jpg 20240413_093555.jpg 20240416_114328.jpg 20240416_114230.jpg 20240416_114349.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online