5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please post what they do to fix the tailgate cables... there are several posts about it around the forum. Oh and I’ve got the same prob.

Just catching up in the forum but an answer to your question is this:

All trucks no matter the brand that have a dampened tailgate will have this problem. I had a 2016 F-150 that was even worse than my 2019 Ram. Neither one got right when opened. It was all reliant on the dampener.

Truckin

Reaction score
Took off the factory power steps (they were on less than 36 hours!) and installed the Ram Off Road aluminum side steps. Overall I like them a lot, love the style and they sit high, tight and stand out far enough to help prevent door dings. The one thing I do not like and that seems 'off' (at least with Delmonico Red) is the color...Kinda of dull grey and not the deep/shiny black of the factory bedliner. I bet the local LINE-X guys can fix that pretty quickly! Only other issue is the 'Power Steps Unavailable And Need Service' warning message along with the annoying 'chime'...Will check with service manager and have him check on a fix-likely just a flash update.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Editing quickly to stay on topic! I adjusted my Truxedo Sentry CT canvas tonneau today. Looks sweet and super low profile. Still trying to get the back adjusted properly but very happy with it.
23682D17-A666-4DB3-9C19-F35CC215641B.jpeg
Just catching up in the forum but an answer to your question is this:

All trucks no matter the brand that have a dampened tailgate will have this problem. I had a 2016 F-150 that was even worse than my 2019 Ram. Neither one got right when opened. It was all reliant on the dampener.

Thanks Rampat. That is an explanation I’ve heard before, but I disagree with it; in some minor cases I agree a slack cable could be caused by a dampener, but not in all cases. When tested with pressure down to overcome the dampener, even length cables should then tighten equally.

In my case I did not have a dampened tailgate, but did experience a difference in the length of the cables (about 1/4”) resulting in one side being slack and the other taking all the load... even with about half my weight on the tailgate. Others have reported similar problems.

FYI service told me they swapped my left and right cables and the tension difference moved over but it is surprisingly now almost gone... still there but much smaller. Guessing these tailgate systems might not be perfectly symmetrical, which also could contribute to the problem.

Last edited:

sergetexan

Reaction score
Thanks! Rough Country 2 inch level, Pro Comp tires 295/60/20, Pro Comp wheels

View attachment 19391

View attachment 19392

Before anything:

View attachment 19395
Thanks, I was looking to level my 2WD lonestar and this shows me what it will look like. This combination gives you an extra 3 inch ground clearance in front which is plenty for my driving situations. Curious as to your perception of ride and handling vs stock ? Are you primary city/highway and are those tires noisy at high speed?I would assume the taller tire will feel better vs low profile stock, even with a more aggressive tread.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Made a “cargo bed divider” 8927493C-305B-446A-8353-C8B24EFA616B.jpeg 64CAF49E-7457-40F6-B2E3-A76F48FC431B.jpeg 2D0E6158-7272-44E4-A292-EC51713318A1.jpeg out of:
Leftover white door trim (been in garage for 2 years), cut pieces of plastic rocker panel trim that fell off my previous vehicle (07’ Durango, traded in for the Ram) and a Ram sticker I got in the mail. Good use of a free hour on my day off. LOL

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Made a “cargo bed divider” View attachment 19419 View attachment 19420 View attachment 19421 out of:
Leftover white door trim (been in garage for 2 years), cut pieces of plastic rocker panel trim that fell off my previous vehicle (07’ Durango, traded in for the Ram) and a Ram sticker I got in the mail. Good use of a free hour on my day off. LOL

Well done, MG99. I'm about to take my truck on it's first road trip out of state. Wish I had that divider. Perhaps I'll follow your lead and make one when I get back.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Thanks, I was looking to level my 2WD lonestar and this shows me what it will look like. This combination gives you an extra 3 inch ground clearance in front which is plenty for my driving situations. Curious as to your perception of ride and handling vs stock ? Are you primary city/highway and are those tires noisy at high speed?I would assume the taller tire will feel better vs low profile stock, even with a more aggressive tread.

Well, this is my husbands, mine is STAYING stock, but he says he notices a stiffer ride in his vs mine, but no where enuf of a difference where he regrets it... sooooo, you sacrifice a little but you gain a whole lot, i mean, just look at the difference...lol

Bufo

Reaction score
I got the front windows tinted 20%.

Attachments

• 0F9BF84E-8D50-4DA8-9626-69D1E963021A.jpeg
    0F9BF84E-8D50-4DA8-9626-69D1E963021A.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 99

Truckin

Reaction score
Getting the message to 'service power steps' and turning off the warning chime after I removed the power steps was way too easy-just went into apps and turned off auto deployment. Really liking the Ram Off Road style running boards!

Bufo

Reaction score
@Bufo Nice pic. What rims are those? Stock 20's? They look different. What trim model is your truck?
Thanks. They are the stock rims only 18’s. I’m a little different then most, I like more rubber then rim. I do a lot of camping and fishing so my rims normally get a decent amount of wear. So when I saw these I knew I wanted them. The truck is a Laramie.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. They are the stock rims only 18’s. I’m a little different then most, I like more rubber then rim. I do a lot of camping and fishing so my rims normally get a decent amount of wear. So when I saw these I knew I wanted them. The truck is a Laramie.
Nice. I do camping also, pulling a TT so I went with the 20's instead of 22's for more sidewall. Are the tires rated an E?

Users who are viewing this thread