5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got up this morning and performed the much maligned 5th Gen 5.7 oil change. 15 minutes later I'm off to the gym, no bags, no mess.
BTW, the Ares 56020 screw in oil funnel fits the HEMI screw in cap and works great

71r8tGvS+LL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm curious about the no mess oil change. Did you use that funnel to remove the oil filter?

BadTrooper_345

Reaction score
till i find a good muffler shop to put on my carven muffler i went ahead and put the tips on, worst design ever! why not mkae it where it slides in? or at least put the clip holders like the factory ones had? i tightened it down hopefully they wont lossen or vibrate off? gonna get the guy to tig weld so they dont!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
wow 30 mins? man u fass! got my springs just gotta get them on i guess lol!
It’s super easy if you have a 1/2” impact gun. All I used was that, 18, 21, and 22 mm deep impact sockets, a 21mm wrench, and a small prybar.

vincentw56

Reaction score
It’s super easy if you have a 1/2” impact gun. All I used was that, 18, 21, and 22 mm deep impact sockets, a 21mm wrench, and a small prybar.
My biggest issue was my jack and jack stands weren't tall enough. Lol

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My biggest issue was my jack and jack stands weren't tall enough. Lol
I have four, 3-ton jackstands that I kept when I moved to my new house. They are meant more for cars than trucks. It was fine at first but sketchy when I put the wheels back on and lowered it to the ground. The jackstands shifted slightly up on two legs. Luckily, I keep multiple safety redundancies in place. I had another set of jackstands at the front of the lower ladder bars and put the tires under the frame as a last ditch effort to catch the truck falling. I would much rather go to the shop and use a lift
CA0E9D8A-4386-4CE1-B4DE-8DB1CC11CD94.jpeg

7C0CACB2-EF4E-4507-9886-A898FB70B47E.jpeg

Last edited:

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I had everything else stock. What I felt like was like my rear suspension, more like the shocks were just too soft and it would compress very easily. After the bags, it helped out a lot, but I got more of the weird sway my truck has so I decided to stay stock.

BowDown

Reaction score
I'm curious about the no mess oil change. Did you use that funnel to remove the oil filter?

No, but I've changed the oil on this truck 4 times now and never made a mess.
I put a junk oil change towel over the rack motor and unscrew the oil filter. I just handle it carefully till its in the oil drain pan. Wipe the filter mating surface down then drain the sump. Its never been a big deal or a mess. Not tipping the oil filter after unscrewing it prevents most of it.

There may be 2-3 ounces of oil that the towel catches but that's it

BowDown

Reaction score
I have four, 3-ton jackstands that I kept when I moved to my new house. They are meant more for cars than trucks. It was fine at first but sketchy when I put the wheels back on and lowered it to the ground. The jackstands shifted slightly up on two legs. Luckily, I keep multiple safety redundancies in place. I had another set of jackstands at the front of the lower ladder bars and put the tires under the frame as a last ditch effort to catch the truck falling. I would much rather go to the shop and use a lift
View attachment 106805

View attachment 106806

Exactly why i bought a quick jack. Every time I took my car off jack stands, they would raise rise up on two legs and worry the **** out of me

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why did you use the 2x4 version?
Because it’s the same part number. I spoke directly to the head manager at Maxtrac because I was concerned about a different issue and I also verified part numbers.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just got some goodies in. I’m planning on installing them in the front doors in the morning. I am still waiting on dash speakers.
C16FBC40-1EC3-4E04-93C4-2F8F782B3C29.jpeg
EC263BAE-38C0-4F6D-94D8-BC1BBC26164A.jpeg
707D7B8E-CDAB-4A9C-A464-D8DC71521679.jpeg
3B7AD995-13AC-42FE-8CEB-A553A9C48AF6.jpeg

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here, I’m curious to know your thoughts on the results you get and if it’s worth it, I’ve seen a few people say they leave the woofers alone because the stock ones have superior base output.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same here, I’m curious to know your thoughts on the results you get and if it’s worth it, I’ve seen a few people say they leave the woofers alone because the stock ones have superior base output.
I’ll be posting about that as soon as I get done with my meeting this morning.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did the front door speaker install this morning. I always move slower and am very careful when dealing with interior parts because they're generally easy to break and expensive to replace, so it took me 30 minutes per side. I will say that the difference in 40Hz-2k is MUCH better than the stock chinese speakers (I don't think they're actually alpine speakers). I don't see much of a reduction in loudness since the new speakers' effective ohm rating matches and sensitivity is pretty high.

Note to anyone doing this mod: Either re-use the siliconeish sealant from the stock speakers, or use some type of sealant on the new ones. I washed my truck yesterday afternoon, and found water jammed up against the bottom of both speakers' sealant gaskets. Reusing was easy, I just carefully rolled the sealant/gasket little sections at a time from the magnet side outward and transferred it to the new speakers.

Comparison front:
IMG_6839.jpg

Comparison rear:
IMG_6840.jpg

Sealant on stock speaker:
IMG_6831.jpg

Closeup of sealant:
IMG_6832.jpg

How I rolled sealant off from magnet side outward for re-use:
IMG_6833.jpg

Sealant removed:
IMG_6834.jpg

Sealant on new speaker:
IMG_6835.jpg

Water pooled at bottom of speaker (water was also pushed into the inside edge of the gasket):
IMG_6838.jpg

Finished result. Look at that beautiful carbon fiber cone:
IMG_6841.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread