5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What code reader do you love?

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Mine disappeared today. Which one are you guys using? Had a good recommendation from a friend, however it was android only and I have iOS.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Depends what you want to do with it. For just reading and clearing codes, I had a less than $5 one from ebay. Worked just fine. I plan on changing more settings on the new truck, that requires a better unit. I forget which, but I looked at alpha and saw requirements. Paid maybe $40, and gave one of the kids the old one.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Depends what you want to do with it. For just reading and clearing codes, I had a less than $5 one from ebay. Worked just fine. I plan on changing more settings on the new truck, that requires a better unit. I forget which, but I looked at alpha and saw requirements. Paid maybe $40, and gave one of the kids the old one.
Reading and clearing codes. Can’t imagine I’ll need to change any settings unless there is some secret cheat code I can unlock like Contra with no mods. All my money goes towards bicycles, unfortunately the truck gets no extra parts!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Bluedriver is the best I have used.
It finds codes that Torque, and Alfaobd can't see.

The device is pricey, but the app on each appstore is free
I got it for $80 on sale at Amazon.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Bought this one in 2002. Works good for the most part, but it won’t read vendor specific codes. If I had to buy one today I’d get one that’s more advanced.

Autel MS300 OBD2 Scanner Code Reader, Turn Off Check Engine Light, Read & Erase Fault Codes, Check Emission Monitor Status CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool https://a.co/d/b1W1yAE

Isn’t there one that shows you real time data? Fuel, spark, modules, etc that’s not too expensive.

Last edited:

barrak

Reaction score
The optimal choice would be one that supports OEM codes and OEM Live data for the vehicle brand(s) your family has or plans to acquire in the near future. Examples:

Bluedriver + ActiveOBD allow me to read our Subaru's CVT temperature for proper fluid leveling. Bluedriver's own hardware/app combo supports most generic DTCs and generic Live data and has an extensive repair suggestion database. Good choice for a novice.

OBDLink MX+ supports OEM codes and OEM Live data for our Toyota, as well as for several other brands. Unfortunately, Subaru and RAM are not supported beyond generic codes and generic live data. [Added text: Using this scanner with the free version of ActiveOBD app allows monitoring Subaru's CVT fluid temperature.] It is a better option for a weekend DIYer who is comfortable with changing all automotive fluids, if the vehicle brand is fully supported.

Tazer DT reads/clears DTCs, manipulates several vehicle settings and has the Pin Lock anti-theft feature for our RAM. A bit quirky, but if I have to choose only one for our RAM, Tazer DT would be it. Especially since our RAM is thoughtful enough to natively display transmission fluid temperature when needed.

This short list represents the ones I tried personally.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The optimal choice would be one that supports OEM codes and OEM Live data for the vehicle brand(s) your family has or plans to acquire in the near future. Examples:

Bluedriver + ActiveOBD allow me to read our Subaru's CVT temperature for proper fluid leveling. Bluedriver's own hardware/app combo supports most generic DTCs and generic Live data and has an extensive repair suggestion database. Good choice for a novice.

OBDLink MX+ supports OEM codes and OEM Live data for our Toyota, as well as for several other brands. Unfortunately, Subaru and RAM are not supported beyond generic codes and generic live data. It is a better option for a weekend DIYer who is comfortable with changing all automotive fluids, if the vehicle brand is fully supported.

Tazer DT reads/clears DTCs, manipulates several vehicle settings and has the Pin Lock anti-theft feature for our RAM. A bit quirky, but if I have to choose only one for our RAM, Tazer DT would be it. Especially since our RAM is thoughtful enough to natively display transmission fluid temperature when needed.

This short list represents the ones I tried personally.
Bluedriver does way more then gereric codes. It also supports airbag and abs codes for example among other things.
Obdlink is just a scanner you need to use your own app, torque pro gives you live data with Rams.

Tazerdt is next to useless when comes to scanning codes imo.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Bluedriver does way more then gereric codes. It also supports airbag and abs codes for example among other things.
Obdlink is just a scanner you need to use your own app, torque pro gives you live data with Rams.

Tazerdt is next to useless when comes to scanning codes imo.
Would Jscan do what bluedriver does, but also let you make changes with the bypass cable?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Would Jscan do what bluedriver does, but also let you make changes with the bypass cable?
As far as I know you can only use the bluedriver device with their software. For instance it doesn't work with torque or alfapbd.
Never used it tried jscan though.
I have a $10 ebay adaptor from around 2010 for alfaobd but those apps can't read advanced codes like bluedriver can.

barrak

Reaction score
As far as I know you can only use the bluedriver device with their software. For instance it doesn't work with torque or alfapbd.
I have a $10 ebay adaptor from around 2010 for alfaobd but those apps can't read advanced codes like bluedriver can.
You are correct about the Bluedriver. My memory failed me. I checked my logs and I actually used the OBDLink MX+ with the ActiveOBD app to check my Subaru's CVTF temp.

I'll edit Post #6 if I can.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You are correct about the Bluedriver. My memory failed me. I checked my logs and I actually used the OBDLink MX+ with the ActiveOBD app to check my Subaru's CVTF temp.

I'll edit Post #6 if I can.
Yeah it's a bummer. I don't know why they locked it down like that. It's a really fase and small device.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. I kinda figured you could only use the bluedriver app with the bluedriver dongle. I was wondering if the Jscan app gives similar diagnostics as the bluedriver app. I watched a couple videos and it looks like jscan can read all the modules. I guess I could also use torque to get real time stuff. I have an iPhone.

If that’s the case, I’d just need to find the correct obd2 dongle which supports both.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use a OBDLink LX adapter and Torque app for reading codes. I like the LX as it also works with my AlphaOBD.
Thanks. I’m hoping to get something cheaper since I won’t be using alpha. Something like this?

Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) OBD2 Fault Code Reader OBDII Code Scanner Car Check Engine Light for iOS/Android https://a.co/d/ib6IStp

Not sure if wifi or Bluetooth is better. Thanks for the opinions

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine disappeared today. Which one are you guys using? Had a good recommendation from a friend, however it was android only and I have iOS.
For iOS, Jscan will be the cheapest and most powerful setup. It’s just like AlfaOBD, and can read and diagnose all modules on the truck. Use it with this interface:
Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS, Android & Windows https://a.co/d/24kn2KH

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I’m hoping to get something cheaper since I won’t be using alpha. Something like this?

Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) OBD2 Fault Code Reader OBDII Code Scanner Car Check Engine Light for iOS/Android https://a.co/d/ib6IStp

Not sure if wifi or Bluetooth is better. Thanks for the opinions
The vgate icar won’t be able to connect to or diagnose any of the modules on the IHS bus.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been following this (and the other) thread. I don't know much about OBD scanners having never had one. Looking at jscan, it appears that in addition to the Vgate jimmy07 linked, you'd need the security bypass cable. Then a license is required in order to write changes back to the vehicle. Is that correct? Anybody know the cost of the licenses? Is it a one-time fee or yearly?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've been following this (and the other) thread. I don't know much about OBD scanners having never had one. Looking at jscan, it appears that in addition to the Vgate jimmy07 linked, you'd need the security bypass cable. Then a license is required in order to write changes back to the vehicle. Is that correct? Anybody know the cost of the licenses? Is it a one-time fee or yearly?
Good question. It looks like it’s lifetime as it doesn’t say term license. Someone should be able to clarify

IMG_4418.jpeg
IMG_4419.jpeg

Looks like you will need these two parts

Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS, Android & Windows https://a.co/d/5D0MJ7W

HNeekyr Cable Adapter Compatible with Chry-sler 12+8 Programming Cable Connector for Autel DS808 Maxisys Main Test Cable for Autel DS808 Maxisys MS905 MS906 MS906BT MS906S MS908 MS908S Pro https://a.co/d/ire4QBa

Am I missing anything? (Edited with jimmy’s link)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/