5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What code reader do you love?

I've been following this (and the other) thread. I don't know much about OBD scanners having never had one. Looking at jscan, it appears that in addition to the Vgate jimmy07 linked, you'd need the security bypass cable. Then a license is required in order to write changes back to the vehicle. Is that correct? Anybody know the cost of the licenses? Is it a one-time fee or yearly?
You need a $21 VIN license that doesn’t expire for the vehicle.
You’ll need a security gateway bypass if you are going to do anything other than read codes or read information from the vehicle. That means in order to clear the codes, you need a bypass.

HNeekyr Cable Adapter Compatible with Chry-sler 12+8 Programming Cable Connector for Autel DS808 Maxisys Main Test Cable for Autel DS808 Maxisys MS905 MS906 MS906BT MS906S MS908 MS908S Pro https://a.co/d/gQ79gz7

You need a $21 VIN license that doesn’t expire for the vehicle.
You’ll need a security gateway bypass if you are going to do anything other than read codes or read information from the vehicle. That means in order to clear the codes, you need a bypass.

HNeekyr Cable Adapter Compatible with Chry-sler 12+8 Programming Cable Connector for Autel DS808 Maxisys Main Test Cable for Autel DS808 Maxisys MS905 MS906 MS906BT MS906S MS908 MS908S Pro https://a.co/d/gQ79gz7
Thanks Jimmy. Quick question, how come you can clear codes with a normal code reader without the bypass cable? Just curious

Thanks Jimmy. Quick question, how come you can clear codes with a normal code reader without the bypass cable? Just curious
I should clarify, the only codes you can clear without a bypass are the generic “P” faults in the engine controller. All other codes in other modules need a bypass to be cleared (or, if the issue causing the fault has been fixed, disconnect the battery for 15 minutes).

I should clarify, the only codes you can clear without a bypass are the generic “P” faults in the engine controller. All other codes in other modules need a bypass to be cleared (or, if the issue causing the fault has been fixed, disconnect the battery for 15 minutes).
Thanks buddy. You are the man.

Is the required security bypass cable only used for jscan or do other readers need it also, like bluedriver or torquepro?

Is the required security bypass cable only used for jscan or do other readers need it also, like bluedriver or torquepro?
Doesn’t appear so if you’re just using it as a diagnostic tool or to read data. Only need it to write to the ecu I think.

It doesn’t matter what device you are using. If you need to send a command to a module (other than clearing faults in the PCM), then you need to bypass the security gateway.

Now that I have jscan with vlinker mc+ with my iPhone it’s working great. My truck didn’t have any codes, but my Jeep WK2 did. I was able to use jscan for codes as well on it. Seems like torque lite isn’t available on IOS, so I used car scanner. You have to pay to unlock everything on here as well. Going to try it on a GMC next week just to see what it can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back