5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Plow Mount for 2019 5th Gen Ram 1500 (New Body Style With Splayed Frame Rails

RTIF

Reaction score
This weekend I finally got under the Rebel to do some measuring. According to Western you have to have a minimum of 19" between the frame rail and the ground for clearance when raising the blade and driving. I measured my clearance between frame rail and ground and got about 20 1/2" on level ground. Therefore it appears as if no lift/leveling kit is needed before installation on the Rebel models. I may still install one after I see how things perform later this winter. My vehicle has the standard coil springs and shocks, no air bags. It is my understanding the Rebel is supposed to have 2" more clearance than other Ram models from the factory. I would recommend if you are wanting to install a plow you check your vehicle first for clearance. My plow mount kit just arrived at the dealer today, hope to pick it up this weekend and start the install.

RTIF, I looked at the Midweight when I made my purchase, the dealers were concerned with the added weight on my 2011 Ram and recommended the HTS. I have not at this time been disappointed other than some loose wire connections at the start that I had to trouble shoot. The HTS does everything I need as a residential user, I'm sure the Midweight works just fine also. Either one makes clearing the drive much easier when you have 6 bad discs in your spine!
You will not have any issues with the Western HTS, its a great plow. The only reason I upgraded to the Western Midweight is because if the plow ever gets stuck in the downed position, I won't have to use a pry bar, a floor jack, and a heavy duty strap in order to get it back into the up position in order to get it back home or to the shop for repair.

With the Western Midweight, you simply drive/push the plow up onto any snow bank and re-adjust the chain height and drive it to your destination.

Additionally, the Midweight has two ground stands instead of one and the additional weight is welcomed when plowing and back dragging the heavy wet snow.

RTIF

Reaction score
You will not have any issues with the Western HTS, its a great plow. The only reason I upgraded to the Western Midweight is because if the plow ever gets stuck in the downed position, I won't have to use a pry bar, a floor jack, and a heavy duty strap in order to get it back into the up position in order to get it back home or to the shop for repair.

With the Western Midweight, you simply drive/push the plow up onto any snow bank and re-adjust the chain height and drive it to your destination.

Additionally, the Midweight has two ground stands instead of one and the additional weight is welcomed when plowing and back dragging the heavy wet snow.
Just one recommendation for all plow owners, do your due diligence and check the fluid level and cleanliness as recommended in your manual or by your dealer for years of trouble free use.

67Woody

Reaction score
What the Western Plow mount looks like installed on the frame rails of a 2019 Ram Rebel. Very tight fit, needed a 3' pry bar and a jack with 2x10 wedges to wrangle everything into place before drilling for mounting bolts. Then undercoated/painted any scratched places to try to slow down the rusting. Hope to get the wiring done tonight and reinstall the bumper. Plan to test it out in the next couple of days. We are currently forecasted for snow this week, hope we don't get the 8-12" they have talked about for some areas, will make for a long winter. I will also put up a couple of pictures when the entire install is complete.

Attachments

• IMG_3005.jpg
    IMG_3005.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_3006.jpg
    IMG_3006.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3009.jpg
    IMG_3009.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 192

67Woody

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention is that you do have to remove your tow hooks to install the mount. They can not be reinstalled without some serious modification. One of the casualties of mounting the plow to the front of the truck.

MrTire Expert

Reaction score
I think a second hand plow is rational. The modification at least was experienced by others.

67Woody

Reaction score
I think a second hand plow is rational. The modification at least was experienced by others.
Not really second hand for me....just the second vehicle I have installed the plow on. Originally had it on a 2011 Ram for the past 2 years. Got the wiring harness installed last night. Really simple just plug-n-play in my opinion. Only one wire to finish the install, I have to find a hot wire/fuse under the dash for the controller when the vehicle is running, hope to find a tab on the fuse block. If not for the MLB playoff games interference with this project I would be done by now!
BTW if anyone is looking for a Western Plow mount, lighting kit harness I have a set for sale if you could find a good used plow.

67Woody

Reaction score
Just one recommendation for all plow owners, do your due diligence and check the fluid level and cleanliness as recommended in your manual or by your dealer for years of trouble free use.
Just wondering where did you splice or get power for your controller in the cab? Did you find a hot pin on the fuse box or did you splice into a wire under the dash? Just looking for a simple solution besides splicing a hot wire. Thanks.

RTIF

Reaction score
Just wondering where did you splice or get power for your controller in the cab? Did you find a hot pin on the fuse box or did you splice into a wire under the dash? Just looking for a simple solution besides splicing a hot wire. Thanks.
Sorry for the late response, I used the 12 volt from the cigarette lighter plug.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whats everyone think of these?

RTIF

Reaction score

I've never seen anyone use one in the midwest area where I live. If you don't have the funds to purchase a new plow call around to see if someone has a good used one. I think you will be considerably happier with a regular plow vs the one you are inquiring about.

Or consider getting a loan to purchase a new plow with a warranty. I've only owned Western plows so that is all I can attest to. I have had the Western HTS Ultra Mount plow which I purchased used, and used it for 3 years with no issues and recently upgraded to the Western Midweight Ultra Mount plow for the reasons I posted above. I have had both of my plows mounted on several different Ram 1500 trucks with no issues to the plow or the truck but I just plow my driveway and a few elderly neighbors driveways.

I know the initial cost for a Western plow may be a considerable amount but at least it will be a one time cost. Both my buddy and I purchased our first Western plows a number of years ago and other then regular maintenance we have never had any issues with them.

If you can try to find someone who has a regular plow and ride along with them prior to see what the advantages are before making a purchase a the one you are inquiring about. I honestly don't think these smaller push plows are worth what they are being sold for but that is strictly my opinion nothing more. Maybe it will work for you. But there is nothing worse than spending your hard earned money on something that you end up not liking and no one else wants to buy. Been there done that.

67Woody

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response, I used the 12 volt from the cigarette lighter plug.
I ended up using a Micro-add-a-fuse circuit on the fuse block under the panel located below the steering wheel. I used fuse #63 I believe which is designated as accessory fuse and it is a 10A fuse. Was a simple solution other than trying to find this item locally, only one store had the Micro version. I'll try to post a couple pictures of the install later this week. Hardest part was having to cut into the new valence panel on the bottom of the new bumper. Something not right about having to cut into a brand new vehicle! You do have to make room though for the plow mount to come through the bumper.

67Woody

Reaction score
Attached are a couple pictures of the Western plow mount and the electrical tap for the controller. Tried to show how the mount comes through the bottom valence panel and a close up, I think I had to cut about a 4" x 6" slot for the mount. The electrical picture shows the Add-a-fuse circuit and how I wired the power for the controller in the cab. I plan on pulling the plow out this weekend and hooking it up to the truck to make sure all functions work.

Attachments

• IMG_3039.jpg
    IMG_3039.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 149

67Woody

Reaction score

I was looking into one similar when I purchased my Western HTS. I am glad I purchased the Western. There are other similar brands that I'm sure will do just as well. I would not purchase a plow without hydraulics for elevation and left/right tilt. There are just too many times I adjust the blade while moving snow that I don't see the value in a manual blade. Also not to mention that I can not believe these plows would be very efficient at back-dragging snow away from a home.....I would think the weight would be too light to do a good job. I would recommend saving up and buying a better grade, you'll be more satisfied with the results.

Crableg85

Reaction score
So what's the exact kit model number etc.... I need for the western plow setup and what was cost

67Woody

Reaction score
If you go to Western Plows web site they have a quick match page. Put in your vehicle information and which plow you are looking at and it will give you the plow mount kit, the wiring kit and the controller wiring. I'm sure each dealer has different pricing.

67Woody

Reaction score
Would love to see pictures after you get installed. May entertain getting one for my rebel.
As requested I have attached a couple of pictures I took this weekend when I got the plow out and ready for the snow to arrive this winter. Everything checked out and is operational. If you have any other questions let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3105.jpg
    IMG_3105.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3106.jpg
    IMG_3106.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 180

Crableg85

Reaction score
As requested I have attached a couple of pictures I took this weekend when I got the plow out and ready for the snow to arrive this winter. Everything checked out and is operational. If you have any other questions let me know.
How much was this set up did they have to cut your bumper too?

67Woody

Reaction score
How much was this set up did they have to cut your bumper too?
I did all the work myself. If you have any mechanical ability its not that hard. The front bumper comes off pretty easy and the electrical is straight forward. Hardest part was wedging in the mount to the correct placement. Typically you would have to remove the tow hooks to make room for the mount, I ended up notching mine to make room, I don't intend to use them for heavy pulling. Then the next toughest part is notching the bottom silver valance panel below the bumper. I ended up cutting about a 4x6 slot for the plow mount brackets. So my only costs were for the plow, mount and wiring harness. As I said before this plow I had for 2 years on another truck so all I purchase was a new mount and a portion of the wiring harness for the new truck, the rest was all re-used from the previous truck.

RTIF

Reaction score
I did all the work myself. If you have any mechanical ability its not that hard. The front bumper comes off pretty easy and the electrical is straight forward. Hardest part was wedging in the mount to the correct placement. Typically you would have to remove the tow hooks to make room for the mount, I ended up notching mine to make room, I don't intend to use them for heavy pulling. Then the next toughest part is notching the bottom silver valance panel below the bumper. I ended up cutting about a 4x6 slot for the plow mount brackets. So my only costs were for the plow, mount and wiring harness. As I said before this plow I had for 2 years on another truck so all I purchase was a new mount and a portion of the wiring harness for the new truck, the rest was all re-used from the previous truck.
Im glad to see everything turned out. I finally used mine for the first time on Halloween day when we received a 5 inch burst of snow and it worked flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread