5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Went in for second oil change with 10K miles. Getting a new transmission.

lasstss

Reaction score
Not sure what to tell ya, patience or a differentdealer, keep pestering service and RAM cares.
The thing that is most frustrating is that I rented 2 different 2019 rams just like mine in Minnesota at National and they were flawless. There is something wrong in the software or the driveline is defective Codes or not. Perhaps they have Boeing doing the software updates.

joshuajames87

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 Ram Limited on 12/15 and just under 600 miles on it I have noticed the downshifting big time now that i am driving it in traffic more. Had it parked until my other truck was bought back but now I am concerned. Do I take it in before I hit 1,000 miles to have them check it? Seems to be happening from 3-2-1 but most noticeably from 2-1.

I just went through another truck (can’t say much because of the agreement I signed) being bought back as a lemon after going through 3 rear axles in 6 months of having it. Lesson learned there was take it in at the first sign of a problem. So am I being paranoid to take it in already or do I let it ride out a bit longer? Thanks for the advice ahead of time!

Smerberj

Reaction score
When I took my truck in for the water leaking into the cab I told them how on 3 occasions or so my transmission felt as if it slipped from 1st into 2nd. They couldn't replicate it and no further action was taken. Kinda makes me worry.

derp

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 Ram Limited on 12/15 and just under 600 miles on it I have noticed the downshifting big time now that i am driving it in traffic more. Had it parked until my other truck was bought back but now I am concerned. Do I take it in before I hit 1,000 miles to have them check it? Seems to be happening from 3-2-1 but most noticeably from 2-1.

I just went through another truck (can’t say much because of the agreement I signed) being bought back as a lemon after going through 3 rear axles in 6 months of having it. Lesson learned there was take it in at the first sign of a problem. So am I being paranoid to take it in already or do I let it ride out a bit longer? Thanks for the advice ahead of time!
First, I wouldn't suggest letting any known issue wait. " a stitch in time saves 9"

second, if you got through a lemon case, why on earth would you go back to the same poisoned well as before?

sixate

Reaction score
I had a 17 F150 with many issues I just got rid of. One of my biggest complaints was the harsh downshifting. Pulling into a parking spot or slowing down at a light and going from 4 to 1 with a slam and jerking the entire vehicle violently. Not to mention the gear searching under normal driving. Ford claimed all was fine. I would have been happy to get a new transmission....

My new Ram has been flawless. Hopefully it stays that way.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Getting close to taking mine in.

Feels like it’s pulses on acceleration
Also I hear ticking in the engine before it gets warm.

12800 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Getting close to taking mine in.

Feels like it’s pulses on acceleration
Also I hear ticking in the engine before it gets warm.

12800 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey NordicNevs,

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us privately if you move forward with working with your dealer. We'd be happy to connect you with a case manager for further support through that process.

Mark
RamCares

Rlandon

Reaction score
If you haven't already, enable the gear counter on the dash so you can see what gear it is in. I've got 3.92's, so the downshift happens at a pretty low speed, but still will get to first before I stop - and I get the bump even 30 seconds after I've stopped. It happens when I let off the brakes, so I'm 100% certain it's not the transmission - should have been in first for a while after being stopped for that long.
How did you enable the gear counter on the display? I've looked for the setting but unable to find it on my 2021 Laramie.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How did you enable the gear counter on the display? I've looked for the setting but unable to find it on my 2021 Laramie.
Use the + - buttons on the steering wheel . Press the - button then press the + button 8 times and it'll shift normally all the way through the gears but you lose MDS that way .
Otherwise I'm pretty sure it's a setting in UConnect . I just can't remember off the top of my head where to find it sorry .

03Cummins

Reaction score

Several of the comments including the OP appear to be the slight bump when coming to a stop. This is why i clarified that a slight bump 2-1 when coming to a stop is completely normal for this trans. You can also experience a harsh shift or jolt when accelerating from a slight roll if you catch the truck between 2-1 downshift.

Your issue (accelerating after being stopped for a few seconds or after coming off the brakes) is entirely different than the 2-1 downshift bump many have referred to in the thread.
[/QUOTE]
I am experiencing the jolt from a slight roll. The engine revs to 2000RPM or slightly higher for one or two seconds, truck inches along until it downshifts, then takes off, sometimes spinning the tires. I've had it in twice and they did the update twice with no change. It also seemed to slip when trying step it down to enter an on ramp. Tach climbed and engine seemed to over rev the transmission, almost like revving the engine in park or neutral, then it acted normal again other than the jolt thing.

MMC1313

Reaction score
I went in to get my second oil change with 10K miles. I was at the dealership a few weeks ago because I was having the common harsh downshift from 2-1. They did a software update. It seemed better at first but ended up getting worse. It wasn't so bad that I thought it couldn't be driven so I waited till it was time to change my oil again to go to the dealership. When I went in for the oil change I mentioned I was still having issues to the service adviser. I left it overnight. The next morning I get a call from the service adviser letting me know I'm getting a new transmission. How crazy is that? A brand new truck with 10K miles and new transmission. I have lost all confidence in this truck. I have already been in for multiple recalls, and minor warranty fixes. The strange ticking noises on startup with the Hemi engine is not comforting either. I may be looking at a new Ford 5.0 F150 soon.

MMC1313

Reaction score
I went in to get my second oil change with 10K miles. I was at the dealership a few weeks ago because I was having the common harsh downshift from 2-1. They did a software update. It seemed better at first but ended up getting worse. It wasn't so bad that I thought it couldn't be driven so I waited till it was time to change my oil again to go to the dealership. When I went in for the oil change I mentioned I was still having issues to the service adviser. I left it overnight. The next morning I get a call from the service adviser letting me know I'm getting a new transmission. How crazy is that? A brand new truck with 10K miles and new transmission. I have lost all confidence in this truck. I have already been in for multiple recalls, and minor warranty fixes. The strange ticking noises on startup with the Hemi engine is not comforting either. I may be looking at a new Ford 5.0 F150 soon.
I have the same issue with my 2019. It jerks and revs. You can hear it and feel it.

Users who are viewing this thread