5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Stained Headliner Near Rear Corner

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well leaked again. It’s been back in August, September, October for “staining”. Today they said the seal was deformed and it was leaking again/ I want the headliner replaced and I am being told it’s fine and not to be replaced after being wet so many times and so much since June?? Are you kidding me? @RamCares ???
I am deeply sorry to hear of your situation, @Jessbell79. Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message as we are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but the foam seal at the bottom of the 3rd brake light is below the opening which means the water would have to pass the seal and travel up to make it in the cab. More likely it was coming in through the top of the seal and around to the bottom. Unless you are saying it was actually leaking through the plastic?
Nice to kniw there is a new part for this.
I’m having the same problem. Here is a photo of my third brake light assembly’s foam seal/gasket after a couple days of rain. This is the top side of the assembly. It is watershed. I too did not see water inside the cavity where the brake light fits into, but there is a channel that runs to about 1” of each left and right corner, as I’m told by another forum member. if water gets in that channel it will go to one of the corners or both. If it overflows the channel it will drip down the center onto the roof liner, sliding window and middle seat.
I also attached a photo of my leak on the right side upper corner rear window.

Attachments

• 3E868DF8-E5DE-4CDD-8E70-7749946BA5AE.jpeg
    3E868DF8-E5DE-4CDD-8E70-7749946BA5AE.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 6EE4AE1A-C04D-430C-ACD1-ADD21C6492D0.jpeg
    6EE4AE1A-C04D-430C-ACD1-ADD21C6492D0.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 54

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m having the same problem. Here is a photo of my third brake light assembly’s foam seal/gasket after a couple days of rain. This is the top side of the assembly. It is watershed. I too did not see water inside the cavity where the brake light fits into, but there is a channel that runs to about 1” of each left and right corner, as I’m told by another forum member. if water gets in that channel it will go to one of the corners or both. If it overflows the channel it will drip down the center onto the roof liner, sliding window and middle seat.
I also attached a photo of my leak on the right side upper corner rear window.
I cannot tell exactly from the photograph, but are you squeezing water out of the gasket material?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047606 miles.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I cannot tell exactly from the photograph, but are you squeezing water out of the gasket material?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047606 miles.
Yes I’m squeezing water out the top side gasket/seal. I have a video. But it won’t allow me to attach a video from my archives so I tried to screen shot the best photo showing the most amount of water being squeezed out.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I’m squeezing water out the top side gasket/seal. I have a video. But it won’t allow me to attach a video from my archives so I tried to screen shot the best photo showing the most amount of water being squeezed out.
A good closed cell foam should not be absorbing water, if that's what it is.

So I'll tell you how I fixed my two 4th gen Rams and two others from leaking.

I removed the lamp assembly and used a very heavy coating of silicone dielectric grease all around the gasket, forcing as much as I could into the foam material with my fingers. I used a very heavy amount along the top and sides. I used silicone grease to allow easy removal should I need to replace a bulb. It proved to be successful the first time on all four trucks.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047606

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
A good closed cell foam should not be absorbing water, if that's what it is.

So I'll tell you how I fixed my two 4th gen Rams and two others from leaking.

I removed the lamp assembly and used a very heavy coating of silicone dielectric grease all around the gasket, forcing as much as I could into the foam material with my fingers. I used a very heavy amount along the top and sides. I used silicone grease to allow easy removal should I need to replace a bulb. It proved to be successful the first time on all four trucks.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047606
Thank you, I might have to try that. have you tried the Marine and auto seal people have also mentioned? I see people removing the foam seal and replacing it with the new Marine/auto seal.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, I might have to try that. have you tried the Marine and auto seal people have also mentioned? I see people removing the foam seal and replacing it with the new Marine/auto seal.
Well, no. My current 2019 has been under warranty for the leaks I've had so the dealer's service department has been involved, and if no other reason than to provide experience for the technical staff, I haven't tried any home remedies. I would say the material suggested by some that's available from Lowe's (I think Lowe's) sounds like a better material. I just don't feel like fussing around with it at this point. However, if I were to have an issue down the road it's in back of my mind, for sure.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047660 miles.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Well, no. My current 2019 has been under warranty for the leaks I've had so the dealer's service department has been involved, and if no other reason than to provide experience for the technical staff, I haven't tried any home remedies. I would say the material suggested by some that's available from Lowe's (I think Lowe's) sounds like a better material. I just don't feel like fussing around with it at this point. However, if I were to have an issue down the road it's in back of my mind, for sure.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047660 miles.
Ok. So again. Sorry I just don’t recall after ready so many threads and asking everyone... You had you window replaced in your 19’ to eliminate your leak in the corner. Or just had the third brake light replaced a couple times?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok. So again. Sorry I just don’t recall after ready so many threads and asking everyone... You had you window replaced in your 19’ to eliminate your leak in the corner. Or just had the third brake light replaced a couple times?
No problem.

I had two different leak scenarios. The first symptom was water stains in the rear corners of the headliner. Past experience told me the rear cab mounted stop lamp assembly was leaking. Dealer service replaced the lamp assembly.

Leak returned about three months later, technician retightened the four mounting screws per a TSB.

About six months later there were water stains across the entire rear of the headliner. Technician worked on it for four hours, determined that window was leaking. Unlike others, there were no frame cracks on mine.

Glass replacement company called. Window replaced about one week later. Two days after replacement, leak at rear headliner.

I inspected seal at top of window and it looked like the glass replacement company missed applying sealant at top of window frame directly under the lamp assembly. Ram technician confirmed. Glass replacement company and tech. worked almost entire day to repair, eventually resealing the top of the window frame and lamp assembly.

It's been almost a year since all this transpired and...I'm afraid to say this...it has not leaked since.

By the way, the headliner stains were removed successfully after each repair by dealer service. They used some kind of fogging device.

Best regards,
Dusty

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
No problem.

I had two different leak scenarios. The first symptom was water stains in the rear corners of the headliner. Past experience told me the rear cab mounted stop lamp assembly was leaking. Dealer service replaced the lamp assembly.

Leak returned about three months later, technician retightened the four mounting screws per a TSB.

About six months later there were water stains across the entire rear of the headliner. Technician worked on it for four hours, determined that window was leaking. Unlike others, there were no frame cracks on mine.

Glass replacement company called. Window replaced about one week later. Two days after replacement, leak at rear headliner.

I inspected seal at top of window and it looked like the glass replacement company missed applying sealant at top of window frame directly under the lamp assembly. Ram technician confirmed. Glass replacement company and tech. worked almost entire day to repair, eventually resealing the top of the window frame and lamp assembly.

It's been almost a year since all this transpired and...I'm afraid to say this...it has not leaked since.

By the way, the headliner stains were removed successfully after each repair by dealer service. They used some kind of fogging device.

Best regards,
Dusty
Thanks again. Yeah, I washed my car yesterday. Soaked the rear light and window seal in the suspect corner for 45 minutes. There was a very small amount of water in the inside corner again. Opened up the light assembly and didn’t see water. I did see the channel that water could flow into if entering from the brake light assembly though. As another year to ensure this is the problem. I would like to stuff a few clothes in there and button everything up. Then perform another water test. If the towels retain any water and there is no leak. Then I will know for sure it’s the third brake light.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks again. Yeah, I washed my car yesterday. Soaked the rear light and window seal in the suspect corner for 45 minutes. There was a very small amount of water in the inside corner again. Opened up the light assembly and didn’t see water. I did see the channel that water could flow into if entering from the brake light assembly though. As another year to ensure this is the problem. I would like to stuff a few clothes in there and button everything up. Then perform another water test. If the towels retain any water and there is no leak. Then I will know for sure it’s the third brake light.
Actually, I did that with some paper towels.

As crazy as this may sound, be advised that at one point I could not detect any headliner staining going through the car wash, yet a steady over night rain would definitely leak through.

Bests,
Dusty

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Actually, I did that with some paper towels.

As crazy as this may sound, be advised that at one point I could not detect any headliner staining going through the car wash, yet a steady over night rain would definitely leak through.

Bests,
Dusty
Did you notice any water on the paper towels? Did the water soak past the paper towels and continue the leak?

my headliner is not getting wet. Fingers crossed as it’s suppose to rain tomorrow. However, I will be conducting the towel test.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you notice any water on the paper towels? Did the water soak past the paper towels and continue the leak?

my headliner is not getting wet. Fingers crossed as it’s suppose to rain tomorrow. However, I will be conducting the towel test.
I placed the paper toweling just above the rear edge of the headliner. There were no signs of water on the towel even though the rear corners were wet. This seem to verify that water was just going over the bottom lip of the lamp assembly a flowing into the channel.

Bests,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047746 miles.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I placed the paper toweling just above the rear edge of the headliner. There were no signs of water on the towel even though the rear corners were wet. This seem to verify that water was just going over the bottom lip of the lamp assembly a flowing into the channel.

Bests,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047746 miles.
Good observation. Thanks.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
No problem.

Best regards,
Dusty
Welcome to our “Leak Club”! You mention a that a fogging device was used to remove the stains. Would you be able to elaborate on this? I was thinking of using a steam cleaner on my liner but obviously, I do not want to exasperate the staining. My liner is a light tan fabric. I hope your issues are solved as was mine (minus my stains remaining).

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Welcome to our “Leak Club”! You mention a that a fogging device was used to remove the stains. Would you be able to elaborate on this? I was thinking of using a steam cleaner on my liner but obviously, I do not want to exasperate the staining. My liner is a light tan fabric. I hope your issues are solved as was mine (minus my stains remaining).
What was your culprit and resolution?

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
3rd brake light housing. They replaced the unit. However, they could not remove the stains. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t trust them to.
Did they use the updated third brake light? Part number ending in AG. It Has a secondary seal running around just the top to about midway down the bevel on each side. And what appears to be a much thicker main seal. Just got mine in the mail.

ac1dd

Reaction score
3rd brake light housing. They replaced the unit. However, they could not remove the stains. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t trust them to.
I honestly would leave it alone...while some methods can reduce evidence of staining they may also cause more damage to the headliner causing the glue to fail earlier than it should. I have been a detailer for 25 years..sometimes for durability reasons you leave them alone..

Users who are viewing this thread