5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Stained Headliner above Rear Window

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will water damage my headliner? Dealership said they are just gonna clean it. Is this ok?
It was effective in my case. I had stains in both corners and they were completely removed by cleaning.

Of course, the effectiveness could be determined by the talent of the people doing it. My dealer has a remote shop dedicated to reconditioning and the tech. who performed the cleaning on my truck has 20 years or better experience.

Trust me. Cleaning is a much better experience than installing a new headliner.

Good luck and best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031224 miles

Big White RAM

Reaction score
As long as they don't "scrub" the fabric with a brush while cleaning, which will make it fuzzy; instead, a wet vac should be used to extract any water/moisture/cleaning solution. In using suction, there is a near zero chance of a "water line" between the wet and dry areas on the headliner when dry.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As long as they don't "scrub" the fabric with a brush while cleaning, which will make it fuzzy; instead, a wet vac should be used to extract any water/moisture/cleaning solution. In using suction, there is a near zero chance of a "water line" between the wet and dry areas on the headliner when dry.
Yes, very good point! Shouldn't need to brush scrub.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031224 miles.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Exactly! The best cleaners for delicate foam backed headliner material, are FOAM type. IF NEEDED, a very soft natural bristle paint brush can be used gently, by dabbing the stain; then, between the "lifting" of the foam and agitation of the brush, the suction from a vaccume will "pull" the contaminates from the material. One thing to note; if possible, adjust the vaccume so the suction is as low as possible; this way, it will prevent excessive "pulling" on the material and will reduce the risk of tearing it away from the foam backing.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I felt more confident in them replacing mine than I did them cleaning it properly where I wouldn’t notice it in my light tan headliner so I had them replace mine.

RamCares

Reaction score
Will water damage my headliner? Dealership said they are just gonna clean it. Is this ok?

Hi @Daddgaddy - Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message if you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Jvonb

Reaction score
Hi Biga,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your truck. If this concern persists after your fix and you end up having to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares
Mine is also having this issue and was wondering if anyone was having luck actually fixing the leak, kinda insane for 50k trucks

RamCares

Reaction score
Mine is also having this issue and was wondering if anyone was having luck actually fixing the leak, kinda insane for 50k trucks

I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing this, @Jvonb. Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message to provide additional details of your situation so that we can determine how to best assist at this point.

Mark
RamCares

swarggs

Reaction score
I have the leak, too. I brought my truck in for it and they replaced the rear window because the surround was cracked. That did not fix the leak. It actually seems worse now. So I scheduled an appointment and took the truck back in. Thirty minutes later they called me and said they don't have a "Leak Technician", whatever that is - and that I could pick it up and take it to my selling dealer. I suspect they just didn't want to deal with it. My selling dealer is 120 miles away. Here is what it now looks like every time it rains.
Snapchat-171372113.jpg
20200710_181138.jpg

Paultg

Reaction score
I have the leak, too. I brought my truck in for it and they replaced the rear window because the surround was cracked. That did not fix the leak. It actually seems worse now. So I scheduled an appointment and took the truck back in. Thirty minutes later they called me and said they don't have a "Leak Technician", whatever that is - and that I could pick it up and take it to my selling dealer. I suspect they just didn't want to deal with it. My selling dealer is 120 miles away. Here is what it now looks like every time it rains.
View attachment 62679
View attachment 62680
That is some serious BS; the dealer telling you to go somewhere else.
They obviously dont want to deal with it, so I’d not go back. Do you have another local dealer to try? You should also get @RamCares involved to assist.

swarggs

Reaction score
That is some serious BS; the dealer telling you to go somewhere else.
They obviously dont want to deal with it, so I’d not go back. Do you have another local dealer to try? You should also get @RamCares involved to assist.
I agree. I haven't researched other dealers yet, this just happened today. I left honest feedback on their survey and the service rep. called me within the hour to basically say I screwed them over by not giving them all 10s on the survey. Never offered to try to fix the issue, just kept repeating that he took care of me by replacing my rear window under warranty. He stated that he cannot file another claim to investigate the leak. I left 10s for the ones that deserved it, but not the ones asking if my issue was resolved. So I guess that means I deserve a scolding.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 62679
View attachment 62680
Since it is in the corners I would bet it's the Center High Mounted Stop Light that's leaking.

P.S. Hey Ram Cares. What the heck kind of dealer service does FCA have out there??!! The dealer service that installed the window can't see what the problem is??!! This symptom is so obvious.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036112 miles.

Jako

Reaction score
I agree. I haven't researched other dealers yet, this just happened today. I left honest feedback on their survey and the service rep. called me within the hour to basically say I screwed them over by not giving them all 10s on the survey. Never offered to try to fix the issue, just kept repeating that he took care of me by replacing my rear window under warranty. He stated that he cannot file another claim to investigate the leak. I left 10s for the ones that deserved it, but not the ones asking if my issue was resolved. So I guess that means I deserve a scolding.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Everybody wants 10s and I think it makes a difference in $$$ for them. Now if they would just learn how to do a 10 job. Honda dealership screwed things up in many ways for my wife's Accord and had the same attitude as your dealer. I wouldn't let them put air in my tires after that experience.

Paultg

Reaction score
My guess is the window is installed wrong based on the photos and the fact that he had a crack window replaced and now it’s worse.
@RamCares can you help find a dealer nearby that doesn’t suck?

@swarggs good for you leaving proper feedback. I’m always nice to folks and happy to do these surveys when things are handled properly.

swarggs

Reaction score
Either that or they had to remove the center light when replacing the window and made the leak worse by reinstalling it incorrectly. I'll take a look at it myself. Unfortunately if I end up fixing it myself that means I'll probably also have to pay to have the headliner cleaned.

Last edited:

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I bought some permtex non-Harding gasket and put it around the 3rd stop light and during my drive across country this month I had some really hard down pours and so far no noticeable leaks. I had read where others where having a issue and at least with the non-Harding if for some reason I need to take the 3rd light open I can, but I had also put in LED red and white lights as they last.

Reaction score
Well I unfortunately have the same issue as many hear and may take a look at the third brake light before taking it in. I have a subscription to a car was and go through often. Go figure, the blue from the cleaning agents has leaked through into my tan headliner.... ‍♂️

Attachments

• 20200729_165635.jpg
    20200729_165635.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200729_165630.jpg
    20200729_165630.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 83

larry9111

Reaction score
Just Had my rear window replaced by a Ram dealer for being cracked under warranty. Please do yourself a favor and check all the bolts under the seat when you get the truck back. The seatbelt that has a few threads started is my daughters, and the seat belt not attached is the middle seat. Probably woudn't have known anything was wrong since I don't use the middle seatbelt and enough of the threads where started on my daughters seatbelt. Hope this helps someone!

Attachments

• seatbelt2.jpg
    seatbelt2.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 66
  • seatbelt bolt 1.jpg
    seatbelt bolt 1.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 66

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just Had my rear window replaced by a Ram dealer for being cracked under warranty. Please do yourself a favor and check all the bolts under the seat when you get the truck back. The seatbelt that has a few threads started is my daughters, and the seat belt not attached is the middle seat. Probably woudn't have known anything was wrong since I don't use the middle seatbelt and enough of the threads where started on my daughters seatbelt. Hope this helps someone!
Somebody was in a hurry.

You'd be doing the service manager, and by extension the dealership, a favor by politely mentioning this to him. Mistakes like this could cause someone injury.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 041290 miles.

Dremias5545

Reaction score
My 2019 ram has cracks in the back glass liner resulting in water leaks. I called the dealership and I am going to press for a new headliner also due to the risk of mold. I really like this truck but for a 48k vehicle, I am a bid annoyed at all the random issues I've had since buying it in Dec 2018. I've had fuel issues 3x times with the pump/sensors, oil leak from 2 spark spark plugs, issues with the muffler in which I just replaced with a after market one, problems with seals, and a few other annoyances. I'm beginning to have some serious buyers remorse.

Attachments

• 20201221_151009.jpg
    20201221_151009.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20201221_151029.jpg
    20201221_151029.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20201221_151036.jpg
    20201221_151036.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 57

Users who are viewing this thread