5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Stained Headliner above Rear Window

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello Sports33,

I have the same exact issue. My passenger side corner is leaking. Not very much and sometimes you can’t tell unless you poke for it with my finger and I get some drops to become visible right where your water line starts up top. I took off the brake light and I drip water behind it. The water went straight down the sliding glass window on the inside of the cab. Picture on the Right shows my leak, same exact spot as yours. And picture the on the Left shows where I dripped water behind the brake light, indicated with the YELLOW arrow.
I did not have a leak but was replacing the bulbs in the CHMSL with LEDS and opted to purchase the new light ending in AG with the double seal. Ram should be recalling these lights but not really worth the hassle (potential hassle) of dealing with leaks and "service" at the dealership for the $35.33 cost of the new design.

I used the Diode Dynamics and have no issues (some other brands have issues), LEDS are pretty impressive.

I ordered from Milwaukee Mopar Parts
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68298380ag​
Center High Mounted Stop Lamp​
$25.59​
1​
$25.59​

Subtotal: $25.59​
Estimated Shipping to 10314 via Standard Shipping: $9.74​
Total: $35.33​

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I did not have a leak but was replacing the bulbs in the CHMSL with LEDS and opted to purchase the new light ending in AG with the double seal. Ram should be recalling these lights but not really worth the hassle (potential hassle) of dealing with leaks and "service" at the dealership for the $35.33 cost of the new design.

I used the Diode Dynamics and have no issues (some other brands have issues), LEDS are pretty impressive.

I ordered from Milwaukee Mopar Parts
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68298380ag​
Center High Mounted Stop Lamp​
$25.59​
1​
$25.59​

Subtotal: $25.59​
Estimated Shipping to 10314 via Standard Shipping: $9.74​
Total: $35.33​
Thanks but I already have the new updated brake light ending in AG. And the new bolts. My truck is still leaking in the same corner after installation.

Attachments

• F84AD9D6-4C06-42CE-85B3-F6D1B5B15021.png
    F84AD9D6-4C06-42CE-85B3-F6D1B5B15021.png
    421.2 KB · Views: 102

Barqs

Reaction score
Has anyone verified this new "AG" part is made for the 2019-2020 trucks? When I went to install mine, the new seal prevented the original seal from making a good solid bond with the truck, and there was a visible gap above the light. I didn't even try to test it as I had no confidence it would work, and went back to my original light. I just have to wonder if they are making some minor stamping changes to the cabs in an effort to eliminate the leaking, like a channel where the second seal will sit to allow the original 360 degree seal to make solid contact with the cab. I just don't see the "AG" working without pulling that supplemental top seal off on my truck, but I could be wrong.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope this isn't premature, but after four days of rain (sometimes hard) I believe I solved my most recent rear headliner leak. I say most recent, because this would be the fourth time.

After 11 months and 17k miles since the rear window and CHMSL were replaced I again and suddenly found a small water stain on the rear headliner right in the middle above the rear window. There have been no leaks since the last repair, even after 280 car washes and plenty of rain last summer and fall.

I'm aware of the latest 68298380AG CHMSL lamp assembly with the new second seal and screws, but my dealer didn't have one in stock. So, losing patience with this problem I needed to determine where the leak was coming from, especially since the rear window had been replaced. I first used painters tape to seal off the shark fin and ran one strip across just the upper part of the CHMSL. I left the top of the window completely exposed to water. One night of really hard rain and no leak which seemed to eliminate the window.

I then removed the strip of tape from the CHMSL and one afternoon of rain it leaked. I removed the CHMSL and found a small amount of water in the lamp assembly, so I reinstalled and really torqued the mounting screws. The overnight rain soaked the rear headliner worse than any previous time. This made me curious: why did the extra torque make the situation worse? I removed the CHMSL again and checked the gasket. It was dry on the top outside, but wet on the bottom inside of the lamp housing.

Upon close inspection I noticed where the plastic lamp frame and the actual lens come together, what appears to be an ultrasonic weld was irregular and had signs of very small voids. Being impatient I decided to seal the entire CHMSL to the cab using Loctite clear sealant (not adhesive) and removed the tape from the shark fin. No leaks after three days of near steady rain.

Sorry for the long post and the quality of the photos.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 049009 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_0725 Ram DT CHMSL gasket view.jpg
    IMG_0725 Ram DT CHMSL gasket view.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0729 Ram DT CHMSL with extra sealant.jpg
    IMG_0729 Ram DT CHMSL with extra sealant.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: c3k

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone verified this new "AG" part is made for the 2019-2020 trucks? When I went to install mine, the new seal prevented the original seal from making a good solid bond with the truck, and there was a visible gap above the light. I didn't even try to test it as I had no confidence it would work, and went back to my original light. I just have to wonder if they are making some minor stamping changes to the cabs in an effort to eliminate the leaking, like a channel where the second seal will sit to allow the original 360 degree seal to make solid contact with the cab. I just don't see the "AG" working without pulling that supplemental top seal off on my truck, but I could be wrong.
Yes. Will fit all current DT models and years.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 049009 miles.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Quick update! Recently there was a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that appears to address concerns similar to the symptoms that your vehicle may be experiencing. To ensure this TSB applies, our team recommends that you take your vehicle to your local Ram dealership to have a qualified technician review the details of the TSB and the specifics of your vehicle. If additional support is desired, please follow up with Ram Cares via private message so that we may assist you while your vehicle is in service.

Hannah
Ram Cares

1619196093362.png

gpbst3

Reaction score
Add me to the list for a leaky truck. 20k miles on the truck and I noticed the wet headliner after I had ton park outside for the last week with lots of rain.

Service Dept. said I need a new rear window. They didn’t mention anything about the 3rd brake light.

I’m pissed. I just bought an extended warranty last month because I planned on keeping the truck. I have 5 days left to cancel the warranty. Now I’m thinking about ditching this truck for an F150. I have had several quality control issues. I have a small paint defect on the passenger side door which would require repainting. I had the rear driver door out of alignment and now this water leak.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope this isn't premature, but after four days of rain (sometimes hard) I believe I solved my most recent rear headliner leak. I say most recent, because this would be the fourth time.

After 11 months and 17k miles since the rear window and CHMSL were replaced I again and suddenly found a small water stain on the rear headliner right in the middle above the rear window. There have been no leaks since the last repair, even after 280 car washes and plenty of rain last summer and fall.

I'm aware of the latest 68298380AG CHMSL lamp assembly with the new second seal and screws, but my dealer didn't have one in stock. So, losing patience with this problem I needed to determine where the leak was coming from, especially since the rear window had been replaced. I first used painters tape to seal off the shark fin and ran one strip across just the upper part of the CHMSL. I left the top of the window completely exposed to water. One night of really hard rain and no leak which seemed to eliminate the window.

I then removed the strip of tape from the CHMSL and one afternoon of rain it leaked. I removed the CHMSL and found a small amount of water in the lamp assembly, so I reinstalled and really torqued the mounting screws. The overnight rain soaked the rear headliner worse than any previous time. This made me curious: why did the extra torque make the situation worse? I removed the CHMSL again and checked the gasket. It was dry on the top outside, but wet on the bottom inside of the lamp housing.

Upon close inspection I noticed where the plastic lamp frame and the actual lens come together, what appears to be an ultrasonic weld was irregular and had signs of very small voids. Being impatient I decided to seal the entire CHMSL to the cab using Loctite clear sealant (not adhesive) and removed the tape from the shark fin. No leaks after three days of near steady rain.

Sorry for the long post and the quality of the photos.

Best regards,
Dusty
I posted this on 14 July and as of today no leaks, and we've had plenty of rain.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 050373 miles.

gpbst3

Reaction score
How is everyone checking the 3rd brake light seal? I unscrewed mine and it was almost suctioned in place. I’m guessing this is good?
I stuffed some paper towel behind it then hit it with the garden hose for several minutes. All was dry.

FATKID

Reaction score
4E3B41C8-653F-40B5-A06F-58FBCC9BA611.jpeg
Stained Headliner (Rear - Driver Side) - will be reported to dealer at next oil change for their recommended fix(es).

jeephistorian

Reaction score
Just joined to add that my 2019 also is leaking. I found the two cracks in the plastic on either side of the rear sliding window. Appointment scheduled for this week to have the dealer take a look. So add yet another to the list of leaking 1500s.

Maple

Reaction score
How is everyone checking the 3rd brake light seal? I unscrewed mine and it was almost suctioned in place. I’m guessing this is good?
I stuffed some paper towel behind it then hit it with the garden hose for several minutes. All was dry.
I replaced my seal because when I took it off, you could press it and water would come out. So it was soaking up water and releasing a bit inside. It was still seeming to compress, but it was really just buffering the water.
After replacing the seal and cleaning the headliner (thanks whoever recommended peroxide, worked amazingly well), I have not had more staining. Though I am continuing to monitor as we have only had a few storms since then.

mlsmith62445

Reaction score
Looks like the wet headliner above the rear window is a common thing on the 2019 RAMs because I just noticed it in mine too. There’s also two cracks on the frame of the rear window and I see dried water stains on the inside of the rear window behind the drivers side rear passenger. Unfortunately I don’t know how long it’s been there, since I don’t normally look at that area, but I happened to notice it tonight. Looks like I’ll be taking it in to the dealer once I get back to Florida. Is this a defect that the dealer or RAM will cover or is this an out of pocket fix? If out of pocket, how much is the repair costing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Following this thread since I just discovered the 2 cracks today on my new to me 2020 laramie.
Its been raining for 24hrs and the headliner does not feel wet, there was one drop/bead of water at the top of the window at the frame.
Contacted a local dealer, however its not where I bought the truck. No response yet.

Hopefully the TSB creates a better response from dealers then in the past.

My truck was built in May 2020

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Following this thread since I just discovered the 2 cracks today on my new to me 2020 laramie.
Its been raining for 24hrs and the headliner does not feel wet, there was one drop/bead of water at the top of the window at the frame.
Contacted a local dealer, however its not where I bought the truck. No response yet.

Hopefully the TSB creates a better response from dealers then in the past.

My truck was built in May 2020
No need to contact dealers, make an appointment and bring it in. Most dealers offer appointments to be made online

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
No need to contact dealers, make an appointment and bring it in. Most dealers offer appointments to be made online
Your right, I just have an odd work schedule always out of town.
Its difficult for me to schedule things like this so I am hoping to get a feel for their willingness to fix it beforehand.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your right, I just have an odd work schedule always out of town.
Its difficult for me to schedule things like this so I am hoping to get a feel for their willingness to fix it beforehand.
any dealer will fix it if there is a problem, getting dealers to call you back for warranty work is gonna be harder. Just go online to the dealer website (whichever dealer you want to go to) and go to the service page, most should have an option to schedule an appointment.

Hosfuentes

Reaction score
My truck is out of warranty and I just recently noticed my headliner is stained by the window/speaker area. Kind of ridiculous they've sold so many trucks that have this issue and no real solid fix. Anybody pay out of pocket for repairs? I'm curious how bad it's gonna be cost wise

Users who are viewing this thread