5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water leak - Found Mold - 500 Miles

Ram19Va

Reaction score
I had a similar issue in my '12 Mustang shortly after I purchased it I came in to a small puddle on passenger side floorboard. I found the issue after removing the cowl to reach the cabin filter there is a rubber grommet on both sides. The passenger side was was installed backwards!! I pulled it out and placed back in and never had the issue again.

TERRY YONTS

Reaction score
After my Army retirement, I worked at a CDJR dealership as service advisor then warranty administrator for 17 years; your service advisor should order replacement carpet and pads. Not once was one of my warranty claims for carpet/pad replacement rejected by Chrysler and the wet carpet was designated to the "scrap list" I printed out the next day---warranty parts are either scrapped or returned to the engineers to find out what went wrong. There was never any request to return wet interior items; as for noisy brakes, find the thread on this forum about squeaking brakes and note the Star Case number and give the number to your service people--they will be directed to order improved pads and calipers which will correct the issue; they can also order you a new seat cover, but may have to take picture of it and send to FCA for prior approval.

Thanks. I'm taking it in Tuesday. Don't know how long it's been wet. I vacuum it often but didn't notice it till the weather turned cold and it was frozen when I tried to vacuum it.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After my Army retirement, I worked at a CDJR dealership as service advisor then warranty administrator for 17 years; your service advisor should order replacement carpet and pads. Not once was one of my warranty claims for carpet/pad replacement rejected by Chrysler and the wet carpet was designated to the "scrap list" I printed out the next day---warranty parts are either scrapped or returned to the engineers to find out what went wrong. There was never any request to return wet interior items; as for noisy brakes, find the thread on this forum about squeaking brakes and note the Star Case number and give the number to your service people--they will be directed to order improved pads and calipers which will correct the issue; they can also order you a new seat cover, but may have to take picture of it and send to FCA for prior approval.

This is great info for all of us to have, thank you for taking the time to provide such a clear, concise picture of how the process should work. (y)

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did not have an issue (YET) but checked my drains because of this thread...Drivers side rear was not inserted correctly. Easy fix...I actually pulled down back cab insulation and pulled the grommet into place.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Where/how does one check? I've see plenty of photos on this thread, but too zoomed in for me to tell.
First pic is the inside, second is the outside...
586cabd384b2b30fb0d4719bd113aceb.jpg
df92b559c39d9481c5a1803577898c90.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JLUR_

Reaction score
First pic is the inside, second is the outside...
df92b559c39d9481c5a1803577898c90.jpg

Just to clarify using @tonyplants pic this is a downward looking angle between the cab (on the left) and the bed (on the right). You'll have 2 drains and the other is on the passenger side in the same position. The drain tube should protrude slightly out of the grommet.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Just to clarify using @tonyplants pic this is a downward looking angle between the cab (on the left) and the bed (on the right). You'll have 2 drains and the other is on the passenger side in the same position. The drain tube should protrude slightly out of the grommet.
Correct, these pics are the drivers side. The second drain line on the passenger side is pretty much same setup. The grommet in this case is not seated correctly. It should sit flush on inside and outside of cab. Search for thread, "Under Water"...you'll find more info there regarding our issue...

tonyplants

Reaction score
Correct, these pics are the drivers side. The second drain line on the passenger side is pretty much same setup. The grommet in this case is not seated correctly. It should sit flush on inside and outside of cab. Search for thread, "Under Water"...you'll find more info there regarding our issue...

I haven't got to the passenger side, but I believe you have to remove the sub. I haven't messed with mine, as I'm taking to dealer for them to fix the drain issues.

RAM999

Reaction score
Keep in mind the dealer said mine wasn't connected at the top side near the sunroof. So while you may put the lower end back into place where it exits the rear of the cab, you may not be connected on the other end near the sunroof. I would recommend if you have any type of water in the cab to take it in to let them check the topside as well. Happy to post a pic of the print out I got incase anyone needs it when they take theirs in. However, my service tech could care less about what I thought I knew about the issue and other TSB's from this forum.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Keep in mind the dealer said mine wasn't connected at the top side near the sunroof. So while you may put the lower end back into place where it exits the rear of the cab, you may not be connected on the other end near the sunroof. I would recommend if you have any type of water in the cab to take it in to let them check the topside as well. Happy to post a pic of the print out I got incase anyone needs it when they take theirs in. However, my service tech could care less about what I thought I knew about the issue and other TSB's from this forum.
Ram999, please post your WO, that may prove beneficial...

U

User_4596

Just brought my truck into the dealer today for the same issue. Hoping they handle it correctly and hopefully will check everything and dry the carpet out before anything happens. Luckily I caught it soon enough and knew what it was right away thanks to this forum.

tfitz2

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the long post. I have had issues with leaks too. I picked up my 2019 Ram 1500 at the end of July, returning my 2015 Ram that gave me 3 trouble free years. In early September I discovered the rear carpets were wet, in fact they were saturated. I lifted the rear mat and found mildew on the underside and on the carpet. I read on this site about the dislodged sunroof drain tube grommets and discovered that one was dislodged. Given the amount of rainwater in the rear seat area I suspected that the grommet was not the only source of leaks. I took it in for warranty service, the grommet was repaired and the dealer found that the rear window was missing about 15 inches of sealant. The window was reinstalled properly and new carpets were ordered. The dealer informed me the carpets were not available and the manufacturer was stating they would not available until the middle of April 2019, remember this is September 2018. The service adviser sought the assistance of his District Service Manager but he was on vacation. I contacted with Ram's Warranty & Repair Help and was told a case manager would contact me in 24 hours, that never happened. About a week later I contacted them again and finally a case manager returned my call. She arranged to have carpets pulled from the production line and shipped to the dealer. Within a few days the carpets delivered and installed, as the tech was bolting down the driver's seat the nut, that is welded to the underside of the floor pan, broke free. The service advisor said he never saw this before. The truck had to go to a body shop where a section of the floor pan was cut out, the nut was re-welded in place, the floor pan was repaired and painted. Carpets and seats reinstalled and now the power rear window does not work. Because it's a new model the dealer did not have wiring diagrams and to obtain them from Ram. After 5 1/2 weeks the work was completed. The dealer had provided with me a loaner but it was a minivan and it did not fulfill all my needs. I had to rely on the assistance of other several times during the 5 weeks. The Customer Care Manager offered me reimbursement for 5 weeks of car payments or 2 years of oil changes and tire rotations. I felt that both were in order, the reimbursement since I was unable to use the truck and had to rely on others and the oil changes to compensate me for my bad experience. She refused and I took the reimbursement. A few weeks ago a started smelling a swampy odor; I looked/felt around and found the pads under the front carpet, both sides, were saturated. I have an appointment next week to have the dealer look at it. I contacted the Customer Care Manager via email to update her on the leak re-occurrence and got a reply that the case was closed; so much for customer care. Just as closing note my son dropped his 2016 Ram 1500 off for service today, the problem......... water leak.

tonyplants

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the long post. I have had issues with leaks too. I picked up my 2019 Ram 1500 at the end of July, returning my 2015 Ram that gave me 3 trouble free years. In early September I discovered the rear carpets were wet, in fact they were saturated. I lifted the rear mat and found mildew on the underside and on the carpet. I read on this site about the dislodged sunroof drain tube grommets and discovered that one was dislodged. Given the amount of rainwater in the rear seat area I suspected that the grommet was not the only source of leaks. I took it in for warranty service, the grommet was repaired and the dealer found that the rear window was missing about 15 inches of sealant. The window was reinstalled properly and new carpets were ordered. The dealer informed me the carpets were not available and the manufacturer was stating they would not available until the middle of April 2019, remember this is September 2018. The service adviser sought the assistance of his District Service Manager but he was on vacation. I contacted with Ram's Warranty & Repair Help and was told a case manager would contact me in 24 hours, that never happened. About a week later I contacted them again and finally a case manager returned my call. She arranged to have carpets pulled from the production line and shipped to the dealer. Within a few days the carpets delivered and installed, as the tech was bolting down the driver's seat the nut, that is welded to the underside of the floor pan, broke free. The service advisor said he never saw this before. The truck had to go to a body shop where a section of the floor pan was cut out, the nut was re-welded in place, the floor pan was repaired and painted. Carpets and seats reinstalled and now the power rear window does not work. Because it's a new model the dealer did not have wiring diagrams and to obtain them from Ram. After 5 1/2 weeks the work was completed. The dealer had provided with me a loaner but it was a minivan and it did not fulfill all my needs. I had to rely on the assistance of other several times during the 5 weeks. The Customer Care Manager offered me reimbursement for 5 weeks of car payments or 2 years of oil changes and tire rotations. I felt that both were in order, the reimbursement since I was unable to use the truck and had to rely on others and the oil changes to compensate me for my bad experience. She refused and I took the reimbursement. A few weeks ago a started smelling a swampy odor; I looked/felt around and found the pads under the front carpet, both sides, were saturated. I have an appointment next week to have the dealer look at it. I contacted the Customer Care Manager via email to update her on the leak re-occurrence and got a reply that the case was closed; so much for customer care. Just as closing note my son dropped his 2016 Ram 1500 off for service today, the problem......... water leak.
That is depressing. In MI, you're 2/3 of the way to a lemon. I'd mention buy-back when you take it in (if you even want to consider FCA in the future). I hope they end your pain somehow.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Note that the first picture inside shows a water leak stain from **above** the grommet. You may have a rear window leak also.
I pointed this out when I dropped off for Service Tuesday. I also sent them this pic.

Maconi

Reaction score
All of these problems with the 2019 have me completely convinced to skip it altogether. I'm waiting to see if any of it is addressed in the 2020 model (brake squeal, steering issues, water leaks, brake pedal vibrations, rear window rattles, moisture in headlights, cabin mounts causing popping sounds, etc.).

Maple

Reaction score
FWIW, I have none of those issues. There are a lot of trucks out there, some have issues, some don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online