5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water leak and wet carpet (solved)

Cruising

Reaction score
Yes, after they sealed the welds the 2nd time (the ones under the carpet in the cab) I have had no more leaks. It rains quite a bit here in Virginia and I have checked it everytime it rained. No more leaks.
Thanks for the response and I'm glad your problem was resolved. The dealer said that their body shop was sure that replacing the weatherstripping would solve the problem as they saw the leak was from there. I guess time will tell and I'll let everyone know if that fixed it or not.

2Fast-4U

Reaction score
All I have to say is thank God for this website and forums! I just happened to be cleaning my truck this weekend and took out the drivers side mat to find a wet carpet. After a few thread searches, I spent 2 hours, pulled the rear seats, molding and rear carpeting to get to my drain tube grommets. They were in only about 1/4 of the way and I could see daylight through the hole! No wonder my carpet was soaked after having just been through the car wash. I am sure it has been happening a lot, this just happen to be the first time I pulled my mats and noticed the wet carpet. So I pulled the grommets, took another posters advice and put silicone around the grommets before putting them back in correctly and they look great. I also made a 14" tube extension for the caulk tube and added an extra bead of caulk around the top half of the grommet to ensure the outside was sealed against the cab. Hopefully this resolves my issues with a wet carpet. Thanks to all who add great and useful information for all of us to use!

Tysan2c12

Reaction score
I apologize ahead of time for the slightly long post.
By posting this I hope in some way to help some of the folks who are frustrated with the mystery water leaks on these new 5th generation Rams. Recently I discovered my driver side footwell carpet was slightly damp. I finally had some spare time a few days later to investigate further. I pulled the driver side sill plate up and then pulled the carpet back only to discover a small puddle of accumulated water and damp underpad. I did not want to take my truck to the dealer only to have them take panels apart and risk damaging something or not put in the effort to determine where the leak was coming from so I decided to track the leak down myself. I will preface this by saying that I am mechanically inclined and no stranger to working on or taking apart my own vehicles however running down these leaks are not that difficult and with patience and the right tools can be done pretty easy.

I, like many on this forum searched and have read all the threads pertaining to these mystery leaks and looked at the various things that could be causing them such as incorrectly installed sunroof drains or body seams that are missing sealant. My truck actually has a September production date and by then I'm guessing the quality checks were much better. I found that all the sunroof drains were installed correctly and after pulling out the driver side fender lining and inspecting the body seams including performing my own leak test I did not find those were the issue. I decided to leave the carpet pulled up on the driver side and the sill trim panel off and by chance that evening we had a storm blow through. The next morning I went to inspect and sure enough the puddle of water was back but I discovered something very interesting. After carefuI inspection I found moisture underneath the wire harness channel that the sill plate panels snap into.

It is important to know I always back my truck in my driveway and have a slight decline. I proceeded to pull the rear sill plate panel and B pillar trim panels off and also removed the left rear seat assembly and the C pillar panels as seen in the attached pictures. I could clearly see that water was under the passenger rear wire harness channel also. My rear carpet was not wet at all but I did notice there was slight dampness underneath where the rear etorque battery is mounted to the rear of the cab. I decided to spray water on the outside of the cab around the rear window and around the rear driver side sunroof drain. Sure enough and with the drain seated in the rear of the cab properly there was a steady stream of water as seen in the pic making its way down through the lowest points of the body pan underneath the wire channel and all the way down to the front footwell. I was elated and frustrated all at the same time because I could not understand why if the grommet was installed correctly it was still allowing water to pass by. I concluded that the grommet was probably actually slightly smaller than the hole in the rear of the cab and somehow was not sealing properly so to rectify I pulled it out and placed a bead of clear silicone around it and inserted it back into the cab. After leak testing again the water leak was gone.

I feel fortunate that I was able to catch this sooner than later. I know this may not be the exact fix for everyone experiencing wet carpet issues but it's certainly a place to start and easy enough for anyone to check themselves before they waste valuable time taking their vehicle in and having it sit at a dealer for days on end. If you don't feel comfortable pulling panels off and removing seats then at least this might give you some information and a starting point to pass on to a dealer so they can investigate. Hope everyone finds this helpful.
Great post. Mine is also leaking on driver side but the carpet is wet behind gas pedals and up even further. What can this be or where can it be leaking from?

Turtle

Reaction score
Well after 8 visits to 3 different dealers, I still today have a completely saturated carpet in the driver's foot well. And because it has been cold, yesterday it was frozen solid to the floor. Today I also discovered water in the rear driver's side corner, against the rear wall behind the rear seat. The rear carpet doesn't seem wet though. I am loosing my mind at this point! I have recently had the third brake light reseated and sealed, and the windshield replaced due to a rock cracking it. So I don't think the leak is coming from one of these areas. I only have 9 months of warranty left now. I am in Canada so we have no lemon law to protect us. I am trying to build a case to argue with Chrysler Canada, and would like to ask if there are any other Canadians on this site experiencing the same issue?
Also, has anyone at all found any new locations for the water leaks lately, other than what have already been mentioned in this thread?

Turtle

Reaction score
Well today the dealer finally listened to my suggestions. They found a leak just under the windshield, as there was a small gap in the seal. They also sealed the body seam under the front fender. Can anyone confirm this is the same body seam that they had a leak from? I posted some photos. I also had some water in the back corner against the rear wall of the cab, and I have insisted this area still has to be check thoroughly as well. I back into my driveway and water doesn’t run up hill.

Attachments

• 8817962B-2FD4-45F6-AF4A-09984957AF93.png
    8817962B-2FD4-45F6-AF4A-09984957AF93.png
    629.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 9D496053-64B8-4367-9A0A-AD5C90703BA5.png
    9D496053-64B8-4367-9A0A-AD5C90703BA5.png
    681 KB · Views: 143
  • A6D92FF0-BC75-4592-A1EE-C82219E62A3A.png
    A6D92FF0-BC75-4592-A1EE-C82219E62A3A.png
    522.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 882FD100-0059-4AF0-918A-D074392091C7.png
    882FD100-0059-4AF0-918A-D074392091C7.png
    565.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DB8A6578-D4CA-4871-8227-C83346C0D65E.png
    DB8A6578-D4CA-4871-8227-C83346C0D65E.png
    506.3 KB · Views: 144

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well today the dealer finally listened to my suggestions. They found a leak just under the windshield, as there was a small gap in the seal. They also sealed the body seam under the front fender. Can anyone confirm this is the same body seam that they had a leak from? I posted some photos. I also had some water in the back corner against the rear wall of the cab, and I have insisted this area still has to be check thoroughly as well. I back into my driveway and water doesn’t run up hill.
That’s crazy. Glad they are fixing this.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Wow. What a great post. I bought my 2020 in September, it's September build. Being winter in Canada, I noticed white residue build up in the drivers side floor where the carpet meets the plastic door sill.
Figured the snow off my boots melted and it weeped off the tux liners and made its way to the door pillar. That's when I noticed white water stains under the driver's seat, near the power seat module. Didn't think much of it until I seen this thread.
Thanks for all the detailed posts. Definitely didn't want the dealer ripping everything up just to say they found nothing.

Toytruck

Reaction score
1609414500875.png
Did the spray the urathane sealant inside the aperture holes while the fender was off?

Turtle

Reaction score
Wow. What a great post. I bought my 2020 in September, it's September build. Being winter in Canada, I noticed white residue build up in the drivers side floor where the carpet meets the plastic door sill.
Figured the snow off my boots melted and it weeped off the tux liners and made its way to the door pillar. That's when I noticed white water stains under the driver's seat, near the power seat module. Didn't think much of it until I seen this thread.
Thanks for all the detailed posts. Definitely didn't want the dealer ripping everything up just to say they found nothing.
Wow, ya don't just let this go. Check the floor for dampness. My water usually gathers under the plastic trim piece just inside the door sill. Pull that up and pop it off now and then too to check for water sitting inside the recessed area there. There is a bunch of wiring running through there as well, which adds to the concern. I bought my truck in Oct 2018, and so 2 years later this is still an issue? Unbelievable.

tricia

Reaction score
REALLY DODGE!! this problem has been going on for YEARS !! My truck is only 5 months old and the floor mat is actually moldy in one spot from so much moisture!! How is this not considered a recall? My buddy's friend spent over $100 grand for his dodge and 4 weeks in, has leak. Dealer is no help. And of course as soon as they see I'm a female, I get screwed around. This thread is great for info and pics, thank you.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
REALLY DODGE!! this problem has been going on for YEARS !! My truck is only 5 months old and the floor mat is actually moldy in one spot from so much moisture!! How is this not considered a recall? My buddy's friend spent over $100 grand for his dodge and 4 weeks in, has leak. Dealer is no help. And of course as soon as they see I'm a female, I get screwed around. This thread is great for info and pics, thank you.
Welcome Tricia! You are spot on and no excuses for this crap:mad:

Turtle

Reaction score
Welcome Tricia! I too think the dealers were taking me less seriously in the beginning because I’m a female. Arm yourself well with the info on this forum, which has been shared by so many great people, and a stern voice. They will realize that you know more than they do at the dealer! The info I have shared with the service departments puts them to shame. Most of them don’t have a clue, nor do they want to put any effort into doing research on their own.

tricia

Reaction score
Thanks for your support. I will go back and look up all of the issues in the forum, but pretty sure I already turned them all in to the first dealer. And unfortunately, I am in Canada and we don’t have a lemon law at all. A person can only fight their own case though one of 2 organizations that are both sponsored by the government and the auto makers, so it’s rare anyone wins. I just have to keep pushing, and hope that something gives.
Tutle, where abouts in canada are you? Just curious, so am i and just Starting this leak battle
Welcome Tricia! I too think the dealers were taking me less seriously in the beginning because I’m a female. Arm yourself well with the info on this forum, which has been shared by so many great people, and a stern voice. They will realize that you know more than they do at the dealer! The info I have shared with the service departments puts them to shame. Most of them don’t have a clue, nor do they want to put any effort into doing research on their own.
Where abouts are you? Are u in canada?

Turtle

Reaction score
Tutle, where abouts in canada are you? Just curious, so am i and just Starting this leak battle

Where abouts are you? Are u in canada?
I’m in Milton, Ontario. Where are you located? So far I’ve had the best dealing with Orangeville Chrysler. They have made a good effort lately to resolve my issue. Still waiting for a significant rain to determine if the last repair worked.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
When to my dealership here in Alberta. "Trim tech" told me nuts due "to water off my floor mats....and the condensation.....and it's common it could never come from a grommet or third brake light and travel"
After resisting the urge to jam his dumb eyes out with my thumbs, I explained 7th grade science to him and that condensation doesn't just land in one spot like a magic trick.

He said, we'll have to charge you for it. Someone offered to buy my Ram today. Probably going to dump and run. Too many issues, terrible service.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
When to my dealership here in Alberta. "Trim tech" told me nuts due "to water off my floor mats....and the condensation.....and it's common it could never come from a grommet or third brake light and travel"
After resisting the urge to jam his dumb eyes out with my thumbs, I explained 7th grade science to him and that condensation doesn't just land in one spot like a magic trick.

He said, we'll have to charge you for it. Someone offered to buy my Ram today. Probably going to dump and run. Too many issues, terrible service.
That is just too funny...these dealer techs really are just a bunch of MORONS:mad:

Bigdumps

Reaction score
He looked at me like I was out of my mind. Lol truck news a line up of replacement parts and updates that "aren't available until late April."
Love my Rams, but when they have a pre printed form the customer to circle issues with the 12" display and other deficiencies/headlight condensation, squeaky brakes, no tailgate ajar warning, bad drivers seatbelt, bizarre behavior out of the display, a/c:heat fan powering down even when full blast, not detecting the key fob etc etc. Not really a good sign, oh and they washed my truck and tried to charge me $20 for it. 🤣

raygun9

Reaction score
I might just try this myself, the dealer wont pull the panel off.

Anyone have tips for removing the panel?

Users who are viewing this thread