5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019Ram64

Reaction score
Ok so like my bio says I have a 2019 ram 1500 with a 6.4 swapped into it. Currently has 4K+ miles On the way from Dallas to Michigan just recently to do the motor swap my truck started flipping out. The issues started before the motor was changed. Roughly 39 DTCs for every module that reported an issue one common code is loss of comm with the bcm. When this happens all sorts of lights come up on the dash. In extreme Times the truck will keep driving but the radio can’t be messed with. Turn signals wipers etc stop working for about 7 miles and then it will reset and things will start to work. Every module which has a code says bcm dropped. However codes stay active. And cruise will not work until an ignition cycle. Well until the problem comes back in about 40 miles.

So when I got to Michigan I ordered a new bcm and installed it. Hardware revision ending in AG two hardware revisions newer than my original. Problem still exists. So the motor swap I did wasn’t the cause. And as listed motor and trans keep trucking. All creature comfort items and important things like wipers and turn signals stop working.

I inspected the wiring ran diag. Procedures with no success. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Just a little background I’m a wiring pro for more than just cars. Currently the new monkey on gas monkey garage. I’m a Chrysler export and have done more things to these vehicles than most can imagine. Know the systems probably better than most who work on them daily. Anyways. My point is I’m asking the forums because taking this hard to replicate problem to a dealer for them to resolve would be extremely far fetched for a possitive timely ending result.

Has anyone else had issues like this. I know of similar happening in both a JL and DT. Which are new and share similar modules. And all new fca protocols. When the system goes dead the cluster will have dead items like the fuel gauge. And many lights but the Speedo,rpm,coolant temp still work. Until about 7 miles it will flash and reset then function again with a bunch of lights remaining for traction. Theft adaptive cruise regular cruise.

Last edited:

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I have no recommended solutions whatsoever, Im sorry... and I havent actually read anything in my perusing, of anyone with anything near this issue.

Not the answer you wanted I am sure. I also have not come across a 6.4 swap either.

geotex1

Reaction score
Honestly,

Your symptoms sound like the worst gremlin of them all - a short. Swapping, as you know, means pulling a myriad of electrical connectors and bent or dislodged pins aren't our friends. Further, I've seen more than one motor go in and mysteriously there are wounds to harnesses including crushing, stripped insulation and wires stretched to strand breakage... I'd put a coffee on this being your flavor of gremlin.

Last edited:

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Did you recently, or prior to the happening, detail the engine? Just curious.

And it seems silly asking u obvious stuff given your experience.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
Honestly,

Your symptoms sound like the worst gremlin of them all - a short. Swapping, as you know, means pulling a myriad of electrical connectors and bent or dislodged pins aren't our friends. Further, I've seen more than one motor go in and mysteriously there are wounds to harnesses including crushing, stripped insulation and wires stretched to strand breakage... I'd put a coffee on this being your flavor if gremlin.
Just a reminder all issues started before anything was ever touched. Motor swap was started after the problems started happening.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
In fact, what, if anything, prior to the swap had you done inside the engine bay? And have you done anything with the truck, like boat launch or anything involving water or standing water?

Also, any interior, behind and or under the dash?

2019Ram64

Reaction score
Did you recently, or prior to the happening, detail the engine? Just curious.

And it seems silly asking u obvious stuff given your experience.
Honestly I barely cleaned the truck much since I got it. Never power washed anything in the engine. Wasn’t raining or anything when the issues started happening. Most of my drives are less than 40 miles so the problem may have been there much earlier but didnt show up because it takes time to show up. I did drive the truck to and from Florida from Dallas not a single issue.

Just some insight I do have the idatalink amp bypass system installed because this truck stock just needed a bunch more. It’s plug and play and doesn’t stop working when the issues start happening. But of course since I still have miles to drive to reach Florida I can pull over and plug the factory amp back on as that Install was recent. However it talks on a different can network then the items that seem to be going dead.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
In fact, what, if anything, prior to the swap had you done inside the engine bay? And have you done anything with the truck, like boat launch or anything involving water or standing water?
Engine bay was a virgin. Short of a power wire to the battery which has been there for months. Even during a round trip to and from Florida from Dallas

geotex1

Reaction score
Just a reminder all issues started before anything was ever touched. Motor swap was started after the problems started happening.

That wasn't clear to me in your original post. Still, it sounds like in the wiring. Could even be in the UConnect head. These trucks are dead when they're down. Mine died in my 2014 and FCA provided a flat bed ride to the dealer for replacement.

geotex1

Reaction score
Engine bay was a virgin. Short of a power wire to the battery which has been there for months. Even during a round trip to and from Florida from Dallas

As you know, after checking the physical layer, then second level of troubleshooting is to remove what's changed since the occurrence. Sounds like a solid plan to disconnect and observe. After you do disconnect, reset the comp.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
That wasn't clear to me in your original post. Still, it sounds like in the wiring. Could even be in the UConnect head. These trucks are dead when they're down. Mine died in my 2014 and FCA provided a flat bed ride to the dealer for replacement.
I will update my original post to make it clear. Thanks for reply’s

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Please confirm: your idatalink was installed prior to problems?

2019Ram64

Reaction score
Please confirm: your idatalink was installed prior to problems?
Idatalink amp bypass was installed a few weeks ago before issues. But like I said it takes time for the issues to appear. And I don’t drive the truck enough so it could be an issue. Has been now disconnected and all dtcs cleared. Witech2 both a pain And awesome activate a hotspot on my phone to connect to the server to check and clear dtcs etc.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
My money says that idatalink creates an overload and shorts the system. Based on rough info.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
The florida dallas round trip, where the problem didnt happen (amd thats over 40 miles), was the idatalink in for that trip

2019Ram64

Reaction score
My money says that idatalink creates an overload and shorts the system. Based on rough info.
Some times it takes time and others to help diagnose an issue. Possible been so exhausted. Left Sunday night drove straight to Michigan. Swapped motor in two days and now driving to Florida. My brain is on overload and shorting out lol. Ps I’m not currently driving.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Probably exhausted in a holiday inn express right now, i get it.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
The florida dallas round trip, where the problem didnt happen (amd thats over 40 miles), was the idatalink in for that trip
No it wasn’t so hope it’s that simple. Fingers crossed. Have 80 miles left to drive in usual form it would happen about 2 times in that amount of time. I during my naps have been thinking of it being a possible but since it never stopped working I quickly disregarded. Possible too quick. We shall see

Users who are viewing this thread