5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to Upgrade Harman Kardon System Bass Easiest Way?

Reaction score
I Want to Upgrade the Harman Kardon System subwoofer bass the easiest way possible to at least get a moderate noticeable improvement? I just got my truck I really like the HK system I just wish there was a little more bass in the system more like my factory challenger HK system had. Maybe Simply polyfill or plug and play just Subwoofer swap in same box factory amp setup? Appreciate the help!

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, I'm really starting to think a fix was applied to the HK system.
Most people with the HK system can't put the EQ bass slider higher than -6 without it becoming too boomy.
Where is your Bass EQ slider set that you want more bass?

Reaction score
Ok, I'm really starting to think a fix was applied to the HK system.
Most people with the HK system can't put the EQ bass slider higher than -6 without it becoming too boomy.
Where is your Bass EQ slider set that you want more bass?
I just recently got my truck, and it’s set at +5 on the Bass EQ and it’s not “boomy” at all, it’s surprisingly no better than my factory Alpine was in my 2017 Ram 2500. I’m surprised because I remember reading on the forums that the bass was very notable on the HK system? Some people said even too much so.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just recently got my truck, and it’s set at +5 on the Bass EQ and it’s not “boomy” at all, it’s surprisingly no better than my factory Alpine was in my 2017 Ram 2500. I’m surprised because I remember reading on the forums that the bass was very notable on the HK system? Some people said even too much so.
My Alpine system shakes the rear view mirror. It hits harder than the HK system in my exes 300.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

fossy007

Reaction score
I just posted a review of the ground shaker box made for our trucks. I think it’s a pretty modest bass upgrade. I have the H/k system as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
My Alpine system shakes the rear view mirror. It hits harder than the HK system in my exes 300.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
That’s crazy because I remember when these trucks with the Rebel 12 package first came out how many people were mentioning that if anything they didn’t like the HK because it was too Bass heavy.

Reaction score
I just posted a review of the ground shaker box made for our trucks. I think it’s a pretty modest bass upgrade. I have the H/k system as well.

Great! I’ll check that out, I just was hoping for a relatively easy solution with not much altering to the HK system.

Reaction score
I was really hoping more of a solution of either changing out the factory sub using the same factory enclosure with another maybe JL “shallow” 10” Sub or going down the route with the dealer that a software update may be needed were my thoughts? Let me know what you guys think thanks

fossy007

Reaction score
Too be honest I would try the update first. I took my back seat out to disable the stock sub and the enclosure is much smaller then I thought. It may be too small to get any good bass out of it. Also the amount of rattle coming from the back wall with stock would only get worse.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I was really hoping more of a solution of either changing out the factory sub using the same factory enclosure with another maybe JL “shallow” 10” Sub

Bass in your Ram 1500

The sub, which is part of the Alpine and Harman Kardon systems, is found behind the rear seat. This 8" triple voice coil subwoofer (each voice coil has a 2.2-ohm impedance) is mounted to a polymer enclosure. It’s not terribly hard to get to, but you will need to fabricate a mounting bracket to secure your aftermarket 8" sub in the enclosure. You’ll also need to splice or solder the sub wires to the vehicle’s speaker wires, because there's no wiring harness adapter that will work here.

You will have to fiddle with the seats, which is challenging, but not too bad. Once they’re handled. All you need to do is pry out the rear wall trim enough to get to the sub enclosure, then remove the six Torx T25 screws securing subwoofer to the enclosure. Disconnect the harness and remove the subwoofer.

As with all other Alpine speakers in the Ram, replacing this low-impedance factory speaker with a 4-ohm aftermarket speaker will result in lower volume levels.

Tools Required: Panel tool, 10mm and 18mm sockets, ratchet and extension, Torx T25 driver

or

Last edited:

aswetich

Reaction score
I'm not sure what year your truck is, but I came across a YouTube video a while back of a guy with a similar problem that was a software fix.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Too be honest I would try the update first. I took my back seat out to disable the stock sub and the enclosure is much smaller then I thought. It may be too small to get any good bass out of it. Also the amount of rattle coming from the back wall with stock would only get worse.

I appreciate the reply man! That’s good to know. I added a JL 10W3V3 to my last truck that had the alpine system and it was truthfully a lot more than I needed. I ended up having my bass gain knob at 1/4 only lol.

Reaction score
Bass in your Ram 1500

The sub, which is part of the Alpine and Harman Kardon systems, is found behind the rear seat. This 8" triple voice coil subwoofer (each voice coil has a 2.2-ohm impedance) is mounted to a polymer enclosure. It’s not terribly hard to get to, but you will need to fabricate a mounting bracket to secure your aftermarket 8" sub in the enclosure. You’ll also need to splice or solder the sub wires to the vehicle’s speaker wires, because there's no wiring harness adapter that will work here.

You will have to fiddle with the seats, which is challenging, but not too bad. Once they’re handled. All you need to do is pry out the rear wall trim enough to get to the sub enclosure, then remove the six Torx T25 screws securing subwoofer to the enclosure. Disconnect the harness and remove the subwoofer.

As with all other Alpine speakers in the Ram, replacing this low-impedance factory speaker with a 4-ohm aftermarket speaker will result in lower volume levels.

Tools Required: Panel tool, 10mm and 18mm sockets, ratchet and extension, Torx T25 driver

or

Thanks for the detailed reply! Seems extremely doable, have you had any experience seeing how much of a noticeable improvement was had in changing out that factory 8” HK Subwoofer in the original enclosure?

Reaction score
I'm not sure what year your truck is, but I came across a YouTube video a while back of a guy with a similar problem that was a software fix.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
I just recently got it’s a 2020 Rebel. That looks interesting to almost try that avenue first! Of course providing I could twist my local dealer’s arm to try it even if doesn’t apply to my VIN lol

Nick126

Reaction score
I Want to Upgrade the Harman Kardon System subwoofer bass the easiest way possible to at least get a moderate noticeable improvement? I just got my truck I really like the HK system I just wish there was a little more bass in the system more like my factory challenger HK system had. Maybe Simply polyfill or plug and play just Subwoofer swap in same box factory amp setup? Appreciate the help!
Remove the factory sub from that plastic enclosure behind the seat and put it in the scar audio 10 inch enclosure that is built specifically for the ram what a huge difference finally hits the low lows and increases the volume of the sub because it's a ported box

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remove the factory sub from that plastic enclosure behind the seat and put it in the scar audio 10 inch enclosure that is built specifically for the ram what a huge difference finally hits the low lows and increases the volume of the sub because it's a ported box
what part number is the scar sub please? did you just change tbe sub? no.amp nothing else ? (thats what im looking for, just doing the sub)

AngryAce

Reaction score

I just did a full custom audio setup in my 1500. The best way is to use a PAC AMP or Sub Pro to get a clean RCA signal out then maybe use a powered sub box under that will fit under the seat. There are lots to choose from that will fill you needs.

Nick126

Reaction score
what part number is the scar sub please? did you just change tbe sub? no.amp nothing else ? (thats what im looking for, just doing the sub)
There is a skar audio 10" sub enclosure built for the 5th gen ram. I have the Harmon kardon system so I took the sub out of the crappy box behind the seat and put it in the skar box extended the wires and boom wayyyy better sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/