5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WANNTED: TONNEAU COVER; BUT WHICH ONE?

apineta

Reaction score
I recently installed a Truxedo Pro X15 and I am pleased with it. I was really just looking for some weather protection if we put bags or tools back there but wanted a sleek and easy to remove or roll up cover. Almost went with the sentry model but thought I would try this first. Easy install and works great. Has some drips in the corners but nothing concerning. I have Rambox and MFT.
6612ab184c0133f23b7bac5f7140ba4e.jpg

bcdffd7b1af61be9a04f04e9d030688d.jpg

1cc58991e58d5eb5a73296eb7708f01f.jpg

‘21 1500 Ltd, Max Steel / Indigo Frost
Can you add pic with how cover attaches to rails on the inside. Trying to see how much space the covers rails take up inside the bed.

DSTJ99

Reaction score
Can you add pic with how cover attaches to rails on the inside. Trying to see how much space the covers rails take up inside the bed.

I can take a pic tomorrow. It’s been a snowy week here in NE and need to pull out of the garage. My wrangler w/ lift & 35” ridge grapplers is my snow vehicle.

matt.weingart

Reaction score
This is my third truck with a Retrax cover. It is matte black and aluminum powder coated slats. It also will lock in any position. It is next to impossible to break into. I love it and feel it is worth the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DSTJ99

Reaction score

cc89577ac88afdc8156a59b1b0236d94.jpg

b921125e75c788e787263e04dad76183.jpg

de49b5b4e48970817416221b5e531827.jpg

550438f70938b05e8af0430a887fbb44.jpg

Not much. Maybe 1” beyond existing bed rails.

apineta

Reaction score
cc89577ac88afdc8156a59b1b0236d94.jpg

b921125e75c788e787263e04dad76183.jpg

de49b5b4e48970817416221b5e531827.jpg

550438f70938b05e8af0430a887fbb44.jpg

Not much. Maybe 1” beyond existing bed rails.

Thanks for the pics. Would you say the cover rail comes out just as far as the sliding tie hooks on the silver rails? Looks like the cover rail lies close to the Rambox...any rubbing issue with open/close of the Rambox? Am deciding on the prox or the sentry ct.

DSTJ99

Reaction score
The edge of the moveable tie down hooks (curved part) actually stick out a tiny bit past the cover rail which bolts on top. I like the way it attaches without big c clamps. Looks cleaner.

The Ramboxes open fine but they are a little stiffer since the rubber seals are pushed up against them. Only impedes movement a small amount.

Florida Man

Reaction score
This is my third truck with a Retrax cover. It is matte black and aluminum powder coated slats. It also will lock in any position. It is next to impossible to break into. I love it and feel it is worth the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How does the Retrax do with water intrusion?

GoFastGoFish

Reaction score
So I am still using the Undercover Ridgelander (no rambox or MFT) .. and I love it.. it's not great if you constantly need put large items in your bed.. because it's not super easy to completely remove or re-install.. I run that with decked.. so it basically just turns into a tackle shop for me.. but overall always been dry and holds a good bit of gear with the rhino racks on top.

Reaction score
Hello Ramer's : )

I just got A 2021 Bighorn 1500 Quad Cab with 6'-4" bed, black crystal, loaded and all chromed up. Sweet, never thought I'd like a pick up truck so much!

So, I ordered a Gator soft tri fold SRX from realtruck.com...a total piece of damaged junk showed up. NOT damaged box, I think they actually and poorly repacked a return for a "great black Friday deal" LOL! NOW they want me to jump through hoops to return it. NEVER will buy anything from them again. Their customer service via email is the slowest I have ever experienced and it SUCKS!

I then ordered a LUND Genesis from amazon and got another identical piece of junk! Label says it's a 2019 and it states it's for 6'6" bed / box. Areas of smooshed gasket(s) some of the smoosh from the poor packing, and dirty. Just plain pathetic! Can't believe these companies actually send out less than perfect like their sales marketing pictures show.

What the heck is going on out there with companies selling junk and think we are going to actually accept it and put it on our 45K + trucks???

Anyway, I come in peace to find out which from ram owners is the best, non wrinkle, non wavy outer perimeter bevel edges, non leaking soft tri fold or quad fold tonneau cover? Ans that is actually for a 2021 for a perfect fit. All I want is one that looks just like their sales pictures show and their hype claims!

Though I don't want an expensive one since only using it when rolling up to Vermont to keep my ski and snowmobile gear and stuff clean, Is it too much to ask to get a good one for the 2-300 dollar range?

I appreciate if actual happy ram owners can share experience, (2020/2021 if possible) that purchased and got and installed a quality soft tri or quad fold tonneau cover that you like and functions like the sellers say and like they show in their pics as well.

Thanks Much,

LIMark
Got the dealer to throw in the roll up mopar, super easy function, everyone knows they can be cut if someone wants what's inside the mystery box. For me with the 5'7 box it rolled up nice giving me full use of the tiny box..

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got the dealer to throw in the roll up mopar, super easy function, everyone knows they can be cut if someone wants what's inside the mystery box. For me with the 5'7 box it rolled up nice giving me full use of the tiny box..
I don't know how the Mopar rolls up but be careful if it is up against the cab, with wind and vibration you could end up with a "scar" on your Ram.

apineta

Reaction score
The edge of the moveable tie down hooks (curved part) actually stick out a tiny bit past the cover rail which bolts on top. I like the way it attaches without big c clamps. Looks cleaner.

The Ramboxes open fine but they are a little stiffer since the rubber seals are pushed up against them. Only impedes movement a small amount.

Finally got my silver rails. What a PITA this was dealing with dealer/FCA/Mopar. At the end all I received was a courtesy gift card from the dealer to help pay for the $325 silver rails. But have the prox15 installed and is great. Had one on my last Ram and looks and does the job.

rocksmopar

Reaction score
Hmmm just put my Gator on last week and had zero issues with the product or quality, it sits beautifully imo. Their customer service however sucks, getting it shipped in a timely manner was an issue... i've used Tonnopro in the past as well with success! Good Luck!
I just installed my Gator EFX yesterday after waiting almost 6 weeks for delivery..
It fits well with and was a good value..

RBJ

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Longhorn 10th anniversary edition with RamBox and MFT. The inside rails with cleat tie-downs is BLACK metal not silver. I mention the color of the inside rails because that appears to be a fitment issue if the rails are NOT silver. Does anyone have a recommendation for a HARD tri-fold cover that will fit with a 2021 Ram with the same configuration (with RamBox and MFT)?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
What about the Extang Trifecta ALX? Soft cover, and foldable, plus tooless install and removal.

My '21 Big Horn 6'4" without Ram boxes arrives this week so I'm finding it a bit of a challenge to find a cover to fit that won't require modification or aftermarket bits.

--Joel
It's no big deal Joel to install just about any cover unless you will have the multi-function tailgate. If you do have the MFT, just get the RO bracket...super easy and no negative impact to the truck at all.

ashmite

Reaction score
Thanks @securityguy! The myriad of posts were pointing in that direction.

One thing I'm trying to account for is that my wife will be the primary driver. I wanted to keep the cover light weight and easy to use, and easy to remove if needed. I may try the Extang and see how it goes. If it works, great. If not, well I can cross that bridge later. Plus it teams like this site can use a good review of that cover.

The important news is that I just got word that delivery of the truck is on Monday, so this is just in time for two medium range family road trips!

Thx!

Kone

Reaction score
I recently installed a Truxedo Pro X15 and I am pleased with it. I was really just looking for some weather protection if we put bags or tools back there but wanted a sleek and easy to remove or roll up cover. Almost went with the sentry model but thought I would try this first. Easy install and works great. Has some drips in the corners but nothing concerning. I have Rambox and MFT.

are you still happy w the Trux X15? I've had several roll-up covers in the past and have been happy wit most of them but didn't like the waving/noise at speed. Was thinking hard cover this time but I could easily be talked into a soft roll-up that is stable. How is yours? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread