5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WANNTED: TONNEAU COVER; BUT WHICH ONE?

LIMark

Reaction score
Hello Ramer's : )

I just got A 2021 Bighorn 1500 Quad Cab with 6'-4" bed, black crystal, loaded and all chromed up. Sweet, never thought I'd like a pick up truck so much!

So, I ordered a Gator soft tri fold SRX from realtruck.com...a total piece of damaged junk showed up. NOT damaged box, I think they actually and poorly repacked a return for a "great black Friday deal" LOL! NOW they want me to jump through hoops to return it. NEVER will buy anything from them again. Their customer service via email is the slowest I have ever experienced and it SUCKS!

I then ordered a LUND Genesis from amazon and got another identical piece of junk! Label says it's a 2019 and it states it's for 6'6" bed / box. Areas of smooshed gasket(s) some of the smoosh from the poor packing, and dirty. Just plain pathetic! Can't believe these companies actually send out less than perfect like their sales marketing pictures show.

What the heck is going on out there with companies selling junk and think we are going to actually accept it and put it on our 45K + trucks???

Anyway, I come in peace to find out which from ram owners is the best, non wrinkle, non wavy outer perimeter bevel edges, non leaking soft tri fold or quad fold tonneau cover? Ans that is actually for a 2021 for a perfect fit. All I want is one that looks just like their sales pictures show and their hype claims!

Though I don't want an expensive one since only using it when rolling up to Vermont to keep my ski and snowmobile gear and stuff clean, Is it too much to ask to get a good one for the 2-300 dollar range?

I appreciate if actual happy ram owners can share experience, (2020/2021 if possible) that purchased and got and installed a quality soft tri or quad fold tonneau cover that you like and functions like the sellers say and like they show in their pics as well.

Thanks Much,

LIMark

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have used the Extang Black Max
I have the old world snaps, 10 year warranty on cover which will last longer if maintained.
It is at the end of your price range. It is probably one of the original style and maybe the first tonneau cover. I have had it on my 2001 for close to twenty years and have used it for 2+ on my 2019 which I recently replaced with a DiamondBack.

Good luck with your search and purchase.

FYI

Most purchases and discussions on the forum are in the higher price range.

KSP

Reaction score
I am going with a Truxedo Sentry. Don't have it yet but it has solid aluminum slats so no waving of the fabric in the wind.

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
Buy once, cry once. You said yourself if it's going on a 45k+ truck it shouldn't be junk.

Reverse

Reaction score
Access covers. I have had four so far and they are quality covers.

jneto9508

Reaction score
I bought a eBay Tyger low profile cover and works great and look great. I always buy Gator or Tyger from eBay and never a problem

obrien

Reaction score
BAK MX4 on mine and friend's truck and we are both happy. It looks awesome and performs. Not sure what more could I want from the the bed cover.[
[EDIT] I missed you want a soft one. sorry BAK MX4 is a hard cover

LIMark

Reaction score
I bought a eBay Tyger low profile cover and works great and look great. I always buy Gator or Tyger from eBay and never a problem
Thanks, I guess it depends which gator. The SRX I got is JUNK! Haven't seen any gators that sit well, not wrinkled or anywhere near perfect...Except of course their marketing pictures.

DenCoRam

Reaction score
I've had the following tonneau covers:

• Fold-a-Cover G4 elite (hard 4 panel folding)
  • BAK Revolver X4 (rolling aluminum)
  • Truxedo Lopro (soft rolling)
  • Retrax XR (hard retractable with t-slot rails)

Each one was chosen for various reasons and uses, but I liked the BAK Revolver X4 the best. Secure, doesn't take up much room from the bed, and was easy to remove.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hmmm just put my Gator on last week and had zero issues with the product or quality, it sits beautifully imo. Their customer service however sucks, getting it shipped in a timely manner was an issue... i've used Tonnopro in the past as well with success! Good Luck!

LIMark

Reaction score
10 4 on that! Manufacturer and seller are sure crying since they are both eating it - and the shipping and the return shipping as well! LOL - NO MERCY EITHER, I'm going to keep ordering and returning till I get one that's right like their hype states and all their pictures show!

LIMark

Reaction score
I have used the Extang Black Max
I have the old world snaps, 10 year warranty on cover which will last longer if maintained.
It is at the end of your price range. It is probably one of the original style and maybe the first tonneau cover. I have had it on my 2001 for close to twenty years and have used it for 2+ on my 2019 which I recently replaced with a DiamondBack.

Good luck with your search and purchase.

FYI

Most purchases and discussions on the forum are in the higher price range.
Thanks but OUCH! Snaps...NO THANKS! I didn't think they made it like that anymore.

Also the two I got: Gator black friday deal was 179 normal 249 from realtruck.com (they suck) and the lund genesis was 319 from amazon - same $ direct. I have both here now and they are identical - absolutely zero difference. Gaskets, smooshed in some areas from their pathetic packing, thin corner gaskets that will allow the vinyl to sit too low and rub on the truck plastic box cap that will surely scar it, wrinkled / bubbled bevel edges. Even both printed instruction graphics and text are identical, they just moved the layout around a little. And they are BOTH identical total junk! SAD though, these are both made in the USA obviously by the same manufacturer.

Last edited:

davidn0021

Reaction score
I will say, my LoMax has been great. I know the OP is looking for a softcover, but the hardcover aluminum is durable and can handle sun/snow/rain and almost anything in between.

DSTJ99

Reaction score
I recently installed a Truxedo Pro X15 and I am pleased with it. I was really just looking for some weather protection if we put bags or tools back there but wanted a sleek and easy to remove or roll up cover. Almost went with the sentry model but thought I would try this first. Easy install and works great. Has some drips in the corners but nothing concerning. I have Rambox and MFT.
6612ab184c0133f23b7bac5f7140ba4e.jpg

bcdffd7b1af61be9a04f04e9d030688d.jpg

1cc58991e58d5eb5a73296eb7708f01f.jpg

‘21 1500 Ltd, Max Steel / Indigo Frost

Last edited:

apineta

Reaction score
I was thinking getting the same cover. Can you tell me how much the cover rails come into the bed? I have the bed utility option so have the utility rails on the inside of the bed that have the sliding adjustable tie hooks. Does the cover rail extend past those? I have an atv that just fits within those sliding tie hooks.

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
I have the TYGER T1 soft roll up cover. It is my second one, as I had one on my Chevy for 3 years. For the money they are excellent quality, easy install, and very tight fitting. I have zero complaints. Currently $189 on amazon with prime delivery.

Last edited:

Canterbury

Reaction score
I recently installed a Truxedo Pro X15 and I am pleased with it. I was really just looking for some weather protection if we put bags or tools back there but wanted a sleek and easy to remove or roll up cover. Almost went with the sentry model but thought I would try this first. Easy install and works great. Has some drips in the corners but nothing concerning. I have Rambox and MFT.
6612ab184c0133f23b7bac5f7140ba4e.jpg

bcdffd7b1af61be9a04f04e9d030688d.jpg

1cc58991e58d5eb5a73296eb7708f01f.jpg

I have same ram box and MFT set-up on my limited. It looks like you filled the large gaps at the right and left side where the tailgate meets the ram box - could you share what type of weather seal you used ? Many Thanks

DSTJ99

Reaction score
I have same ram box and MFT set-up on my limited. It looks like you filled the large gaps at the right and left side where the tailgate meets the ram box - could you share what type of weather seal you used ? Many Thanks

The tonneau cover included two pieces of rubber that I used. They are about 1”x1”x3”. At first I though I didn’t install them exactly even but then realized the right side of my tailgate is lower than the left by about 1/4”.

Users who are viewing this thread