5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vararam Air Grabber intake installed

beta379

Reaction score
Super easy. Did it in the parking lot at work. I left the shroud off for now but I may trim it and put it back on.
I'd love to see pictures of the shroud unmodified with your install. If you haven't modified the shroud already.

Firebird

Reaction score
How loud is the Vararam inside the cab under acceleration?

bobzilla

Reaction score
Does this void any warranty with the truck?

This is the All New Vararam Kit for the 2019 Ram, updated 2019 Kit & instructions, Product Code: VR-HEMI-5G . I installed a Vararam Air Grabber Ram Air Induction System for the 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi trucks. To start off, the Vararam air box has an insulated bottom under the air filter box and the engine cover stays in place over the engine and both of these keep the engine heat away from the air filter intake. The hood forms the top cover for the Vararam air box and the Vararam air box has a nice high rubber seal all around its edge. I didn't need to cut or modify the radiator shroud. I put a spacer in the center of the radiator shroud to hold it up and it made a tunnel to direct the cold air to come up from the grille and directly into the air filter (Forced Cold Air Induction). No hot air will enter the air filter and throttle body from the radiator as I removed most of the Active Grille Shutters (AGS). I removed the top 3 louvers and the 5th louver. I left the 4th and 6th louvers so I didn't get a error code from the grille shutter motor. I didn't want to do a complete (AGS) delete. The cold air enters through the entire grille, passes through the removed (AGS) and is directed straight up into the Vararam air box. The hardest part of this install was removing the grille to get to the (AGS). I spent about 2 hours removing the OEM air box and installing the Vararam Air Grabber System. Don't forget to remove the negative battery cable for 30 minutes to reset the computer per the instructions. This Vararam air filter has a defiant increase in intake sound. Did horsepower and MPG. increase? My butt-dyno feels like there's more horsepower. Could this Vararam Intake be considered a Forced Cold Air Ram Induction Intake (Forced CAI) ??? :) Maybe.

The cost was $344 from Moe's Performance delivered and I think (JMO) it is a very good (CAI) with my installation mods (lots of cold air) compared to a (CAI) installed in the engine compartment where the OEM air box, filter and air tube is replaced and using the same air entry point for cold air as before. JMO.

. View attachment 24729 View attachment 24824 View attachment 24821 View attachment 24823 View attachment 24740 View attachment 24741

tobyw

Reaction score
Also interested in real world feedback on fuel economy before/after...

DivrGuy

Reaction score
I have no experience with this particular intake, but I will say that Vararam is no joke, unlike most other CAI's. I installed their ram-air intake on my C6 Corvette. It works similar to this design. It has a "snorkel" duct that runs down and turns forward behind the grill opening. On a dyno, they only show a few hp increase, but its because the car is sitting still with a fan blowing to keep it cool. The increasing speed going down the track is where the power comes in.... the ram-air effect. I had my tune adjusted by doing data logs during high-speed acceleration runs and letting the guy who did my tunes read those logs and make adjustments for increased airflow. You won't see that extra airflow created by the ram-air on a dyno. The fan isn't strong enough. Comparing track runs on days where weather conditions were the same, before and after the install, I went from a 12.3 to 11.9 in a quarter mile. The car is an automatic, so the difference wasn't in launching better one day than the other. Now like I said, that is with having the tune adjusted to make the best use of it, and I never did a track run with the intake installed and not tuned. But their ram-air designs do work. I imagine that the recommendation of disconnecting the battery for a while is so that the ecm will start "learning" how to adjust for the extra airflow, but it won't replace a full tune.

Last edited:

JTD

Reaction score
This is the All New Vararam Kit for the 2019 Ram, updated 2019 Kit & instructions, Product Code: VR-HEMI-5G . I installed a Vararam Air Grabber Ram Air Induction System for the 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi trucks. To start off, the Vararam air box has an insulated bottom under the air filter box and the engine cover stays in place over the engine and both of these keep the engine heat away from the air filter intake. The hood forms the top cover for the Vararam air box and the Vararam air box has a nice high rubber seal all around its edge. I didn't need to cut or modify the radiator shroud. I put a spacer in the center of the radiator shroud to hold it up and it made a tunnel to direct the cold air to come up from the grille and directly into the air filter (Forced Cold Air Induction). No hot air will enter the air filter and throttle body from the radiator as I removed most of the Active Grille Shutters (AGS). I removed the top 3 louvers and the 5th louver. I left the 4th and 6th louvers so I didn't get a error code from the grille shutter motor. I didn't want to do a complete (AGS) delete. The cold air enters through the entire grille, passes through the removed (AGS) and is directed straight up into the Vararam air box. The hardest part of this install was removing the grille to get to the (AGS). I spent about 2 hours removing the OEM air box and installing the Vararam Air Grabber System. Don't forget to remove the negative battery cable for 30 minutes to reset the computer per the instructions. This Vararam air filter has a defiant increase in intake sound. Did horsepower and MPG. increase? My butt-dyno feels like there's more horsepower. Could this Vararam Intake be considered a Forced Cold Air Ram Induction Intake (Forced CAI) ??? :) Maybe.

The cost was $344 from Moe's Performance delivered and I think (JMO) it is a very good (CAI) with my installation mods (lots of cold air) compared to a (CAI) installed in the engine compartment where the OEM air box, filter and air tube is replaced and using the same air entry point for cold air as before. JMO.

. View attachment 24729 View attachment 24824 View attachment 24821 View attachment 24823 View attachment 24740 View attachment 24741
Hi. That’s looks great! I’m wondering, what did you use for a spacer?

5thGenRubyRed

Reaction score
Real world question, how is it with snow? Heard snow will blow easily in grill and to filter. That's the only thing keeping me from ordering, here in the north east, the wind driven snow makes me nervous getting water into the engine. Anyone know anything about this?

popcenator

Reaction score
I had it on my 4th gen and left it on year round. I live in Nebraska and usually get some good snow during winter. I never had issues. Though I will take it off when I put it back on my 5th gen for the winters. It doesn't take long to put the stock intake back on, you can't really use the benefits of the intake if there's snow, and it's just good to be worry free in the snow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ringer

Reaction score
Here’s mine. Found genuine Mopar Orange paint, and custom sticker. This with my Carven muffler delete, is pretty badass. I really notice the top end pull. It just keeps going and going. I had it only in 6thgear, 114mph when the trooper had to rain on my parade.

Attachments

• E16F2829-948A-4967-8556-77D95981D61F.jpeg
    E16F2829-948A-4967-8556-77D95981D61F.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 517
  • FEBD8B9C-5383-48FD-8B37-E5B4B5713B3C.jpeg
    FEBD8B9C-5383-48FD-8B37-E5B4B5713B3C.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 560
  • 3EE1A72A-4005-48F7-AB88-605BEA011D21.jpeg
    3EE1A72A-4005-48F7-AB88-605BEA011D21.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 566

popcenator

Reaction score
Anyone notice any difference in shifting, mainly with the first couple gears after installing? It seems a little sloppy from a stop, like there's some play. Acceleration also has a slight surge. These issues are mainly when the vehicle is cold, like the first start of the day and they're not extreme, just a little annoying. They seem to go away for the most part after the truck is warned up. When the stock intake setup is installed, everything is pretty smooth.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

beta379

Reaction score
Here’s mine. Found genuine Mopar Orange paint, and custom sticker. This with my Carven muffler delete, is pretty badass. I really notice the top end pull. It just keeps going and going. I had it only in 6thgear, 114mph when the trooper had to rain on my parade.
Did you shave your cowl any?

Ringer

Reaction score
Did you shave your cowl any?

It's very minimal to get the cowl to fit back on. Not nearly as hard as everyone makes it seems. I just "eyeballed it"....One side came out nice, the other side I cut a little too much. But I dig the RAM painted in the matching Mopar Orange.

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score

What lights are those on either side of the RAM logo?

Curlycarille

Reaction score
Where are the spacers and can we see how they were installed

I decided to cut less and install rubber spacers to allow for air flow. I like the RAM on the shroud. BTW, Tis is the Vararam which I had installed on my 2015 trade. Fitment was the same.

Users who are viewing this thread