5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vanity Plates

How many of you have a vanity plate on your RAM?

• Yes

• No

• Considering It

• Why, I think it's silly

• I have in the past

Results are only viewable after voting.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where else to post this, so here goes: I just ordered a different set of vanity plates for my new ordered truck. I went with something new this time as my previous two trucks had the same plate on them. I'll reveal later (once my plate is approved) what it says-I'm pretty excited! Now I just need the darn truck to put them on when they arrive. 😂

I went with the blackout style again which the state of Iowa offers. I'm not a fan of our new "standard" plate design (plus a bunch of white background on the plate sticks out like a sore thumb!)

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last truck was a fairly modified 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab 5.9L Cummins. I had a vanity plate on it (FST DZL). Vanity plates in Texas are ridiculously expensive now. Don’t think I’ll be forking out that amount of money for a plate.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's $40 for a vanity plate every year in California, which normally I wouldn't do, but since they have the classic "Black Plate" available with your choice of number, I couldn't resist. The black plate looks good and it matches well with my truck and I used a number that is rather special to me. I'm going to keep doing it from now on.

The fee is added to my annual registration, which isn't cheap already, but not having a separate bill kinda makes me forget about it, lol.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In Texas:
$150/yr for 6 characters
$200/yr for 7 characters
Now, they do give a discount for a 5 year deal. But, that’s just too much money for a plate. Plus I have to pay for a yearly inspection and registration.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
In Texas:
$150/yr for 6 characters
$200/yr for 7 characters
Now, they do give a discount for a 5 year deal. But, that’s just too much money for a plate. Plus I have to pay for a yearly inspection and registration.

Yearly inspection, I remember those. It's funny, when I moved to San Diego, I was worried about smog test. But if you buy a vehicle new, you don't have to do a smog test until the car is 8 years old. Then it's every other year after that. And the smog test, unless a 1999 or older, is just a simple plug into an OBDII that takes a few minutes to run, no running dyno with tailpipe sniffer or anything like that.

They don't even care about seatbelt, airbag or ABS lights on the dash. That's probably why I sometimes see borderline legal stuff like trophy trucks and ex-NASCAR stock cars driving around with registration here, just as long as they pass smog, which isn't hard, they can be made street legal, zero safety test.

Nova90

Reaction score
Wow, in PA it is just a one time registration fee.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I've had a vanity plate on my vehicles since 2003. I may be considering getting rid of it because its getting more and more expensive to keep it here in CT

bud007

Reaction score
Egads , and i though California was bad 😜
i am considering the black legacy plate , i was trying to get my amature radio call sign on a black plate , but havent had any luck with the DMV website or AAA , i will have to call the DMV ( i know , good luck with that ) to see if i would be able to , but i am guessing i wont as they are 2 different items , but we will see

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Egads , and i though California was bad 😜
i am considering the black legacy plate , i was trying to get my amature radio call sign on a black plate , but havent had any luck with the DMV website or AAA , i will have to call the DMV ( i know , good luck with that ) to see if i would be able to , but i am guessing i wont as they are 2 different items , but we will see

What problem were you having with the site?

Redfour5

Reaction score
Living in MT, we have a lot of choices and really nice ones. You can order, or get what they have at the county DVM. I had like two on my list and wanted to coordinate with the Truck. My first choice was this https://media.dojmt.gov/wp-content/uploads/MFBN-UCThumb.jpg Unfortunately it is quite popular. So, I went with my second choice of this https://media.dojmt.gov/wp-content/uploads/Bird-of-PreyThumb.jpg The pic is of the truck before I got it so you can see what I was putting it on but me not giving up my identity since temp plates don't tell you poo. 20210719_085652.jpg

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Living in MT, we have a lot of choices and really nice ones. You can order, or get what they have at the county DVM. I had like two on my list and wanted to coordinate with the Truck. My first choice was this https://media.dojmt.gov/wp-content/uploads/MFBN-UCThumb.jpg Unfortunately it is quite popular. So, I went with my second choice of this https://media.dojmt.gov/wp-content/uploads/Bird-of-PreyThumb.jpg The pic is of the truck before I got it so you can see what I was putting it on but me not giving up my identity since temp plates don't tell you poo. View attachment 104024
I really like the mountain graphic one. Just spend a few days camping in NW Montana this past summer and it's BEAUTIFUL up there!! One of my favorite states for sure!

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
NH is $40 up front and I think $20 a year? I can't remember but I have vanity plates on every car / bike I own.
51392123609_9dc02ccb77_b.jpg

bud007

Reaction score
SD Rebel , It seems it wouldnt allow me to get my Radio Call sign with the legacy black plate as it looks like they are 2 different plates, amature radio plate and black legacy plate ( i tried to get just the black vanity plate with my call sign , and that didnt seem to work either ) which is unfortunate as i think it would look much better with the black plate . The woman who worked for the Auto Club told me they probably would not allow it , but she tried to imput it to the system as a black legacy plate with just my call sign but it wouldnt go through , much like it did for me when i tried to do it online ( i put it in my cart , but wouldnt let me check out ) she said that i could call DMV just to check and make sure , which i will probably try in a few days.
What problem were you having with the site?

Last edited:

BlueMoose

Reaction score
I have had vanity plates for as long as I can remember, starting with my Jeep in 1999.

My Ram's plate is ELGEN, which means "The Moose" in Norwegian.

Users who are viewing this thread