5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB thumb drive: music files

Rlandon

Reaction score
Mine from a previous post on the same issue. (brought it over from the Durango R/T)
So your drive worked in the Durango but not the Ram? It's something software related that I bet an update could fix if they (FCA) really wanted to fix it. This truck is driving me nuts not only on this aspect but also the lack of vendors including Mopar having a quick plug-n-play upgrade for a great sounding sub.

Rlandon

Reaction score
I don't know if I could handle my library at my fingertips. Too many songs to navigate while I'm driving.

I have a 1TB portable drive with all my music and just move stuff to/from/around on my 64GB thumb drive to listen to in the truck. Plus it's a little more space conscious:

That's why the "Shuffle" mode works great on large drives.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So your drive worked in the Durango but not the Ram? It's something software related that I bet an update could fix if they (FCA) really wanted to fix it. This truck is driving me nuts not only on this aspect but also the lack of vendors including Mopar having a quick plug-n-play upgrade for a great sounding sub.
Mine worked in both. 1300+ songs if I remember

(NOTE: I have the 8.4 as I refused the 12" setup + all the extras which added like $20k to the list price). I had "hacked" the drive with the Durango updates to post my own backgrounds, but hadn't tried it just yet with the RAM)

Rlandon

Reaction score
Mine worked in both. 1300+ songs if I remember

(NOTE: I have the 8.4 as I refused the 12" setup + all the extras which added like $20k to the list price). I had "hacked" the drive with the Durango updates to post my own backgrounds, but hadn't tried it just yet with the RAM)
I'm pushing over 100K songs on a 1TB drive. Even my Ford Mustang tops out at 22K when indexing the drive. I can get this one on the Ram up to 9300 songs but no higher in shuffle mode.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm pushing over 100K songs on a 1TB drive. Even my Ford Mustang tops out at 22K when indexing the drive. I can get this one on the Ram up to 9300 songs but no higher in shuffle mode.
I'm off today, so I'll have to go out and look again .. I remember the drive had to be "rebuild" when I converted from the Durango 8.4 to the RAM 8.4 as it didn't see all the songs in any mode.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm off today, so I'll have to go out and look again .. I remember the drive had to be "rebuild" when I converted from the Durango 8.4 to the RAM 8.4 as it didn't see all the songs in any mode.
Is the drive formatted in NTFS or FAT32? Sometimes that makes a difference if it's not FAT32. :unsure:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll pull from vehicle and check for whomever is having issues still. Mine shows 1333 songs on random with 1333 songs on the drive.

1625239574469.png

Rlandon

Reaction score
I'll pull from vehicle and check for whomever is having issues still. Mine shows 1333 songs on random with 1333 songs on the drive.

View attachment 98562
Mine is listing over 9300 songs out of 100K+ with only some of the songs from a disc. The file formatting is the same on one song from the disc as the others that are not shown. I've noticed that when the drive kept plugged in overnight it will retain the 9300 files but starts out again at 1 of 9300 with a different song. My Sync system doesn't do that and my old RER system in the Gen 4 didn't either. There's got to be something buggy with the firmware of the 12" system that has yet to be fixed. Maybe in the UC5 it's fixed?? Right now it's no biggie, I just skip through the drive until I find something I like at the time.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've noticed that when the drive kept plugged in overnight it will retain the 9300 files but starts out again at 1 of 9300 with a different song.
Mine does that too. I don't have 9000+ songs (I've only got a few hundred on my thumb drive) but every time I turn the key the shuffle starts over. When I turn on the accessories (or start the truck), whatever song was playing when I turned the truck off continues to play but becomes song #1 and the shuffle starts over.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I leave my shuffle on, that same song plays never time I start the vehicle. It is the "flash" and settings from FCA, etc. If you turn off Shuffle, it plays all songs and remembers the last one on the list in proper order. Not sure why they re-shuffle a new list each time you start the vehicle - I can get tired of hearing the same songs when it does that ..

Rlandon

Reaction score
While trying to tell the phone to dial out it decided to play a disc instead from the USB drive. Those songs played fine and stayed on that setting. I'll see if it will go back and browse/play all songs on the drive tomorrow in shuffle mode when I tell it to via the voice command button. Who makes the 12" display with respect to firmware? I'll send them an email to determine if there is a limit to the number of songs, indexing, etc.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I have a 32GB SanDisk (with about 18GB of tunes) I used in my 2012 with a JVC head unit - the JVC randomizer would only recognize about 30% of what was in the folder I chose to shuffle, then restart that random playlist all over again... and each time I would make my way back to that folder and hit shuffle, it was the same exact limited order of 'random' tunes. When I traded in my 2012 for the 2021 last Friday, I literally pulled the SanDisk thumb drive from the 2012's JVC and plugged it into the UConnect 12 in my 2021, and I was pleasantly surprised when the UConnect picked up and recognized ALL of the tunes on the drive. I have it on shuffle in one of my favorite folders, and I'm hearing tunes I'd forgotten I'd dumped in there.

Now if there was only a way to upgrade the EQ from 'only' B-M-T. Sorry, but a 19-speaker Harmon/Kardon system with a 3-band EQ is just stupid.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm also less than impressed by the USB music functionality. I use a 64GB thumb drive to play music from. The drive has about 500 tracks on it. It recognizes all the files no problem. The problem I have is it doesn't remember anything after I shut the truck off, it's like putting the drive in for the first time every time the truck is restarted. It automatically defaults to track 39 and plays the track from the beginning I also have to press the shuffle option every single time other wise it plays the tracks in numerical order. Perhaps this is by design, I'm just judging by my last truck which always started playing exactly where it left off even if you move out of the media function and listen to the radio it also kept the shuffle function enabled. Posting here because you obviously use a separate drive for MP3 files versus playing music from your phone, bluetooth sound quality sucks and i don't want to have to plug my phone into the truck just to have good quality playback. Does your system remember where it was at after shutting the truck off, do you have to press the shuffle button after every restart of the truck?
For reference, I have the non nav 8.4 touch screen in my 2019 Cherokee, and it does the exact same thing as yours.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I h
For reference, I have the non nav 8.4 touch screen in my 2019 Cherokee, and it does the exact same thing as yours
For reference, I have the non nav 8.4 touch screen in my 2019 Cherokee, and it does the exact same thing as yours.
My 2019 did the same exact thing when I first got it (in 2018). The dealer updated my radio and it’s been fine ever since.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Since my last post, I've tried the shuffle and seems to have the same issue as mentioned by Billet1500 4x4. Annoying. 'Shuffle' is dead to me now. :cool:

mike146

Reaction score
No luck finding the info in the owners manual.

Does anyone know the file formats supported and drive size supported in uconnect 5?

Thank you. Trying to set up a new drive for the possible 1500 mile drive home if I pick it up someday.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

taningray

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Laramie Longhorn and a 2020 Limited, I have been using a SanDisk 16gb mini thumb drive in the 2015 for about 3 years now, I use a lot of TEAM 32gb mini thumb drives for work so I put the same music folders on one of the 32gb drives that I have on the 16gb drive, the 32 gb drive will not work in my 2020, tried all 3 usb ports, I tried it in the 2015 and it worked perfectly, I then installed the 16gb drive, from the 2015, in the 2020, this drive worked in both 1 and 2 usb ports but still nothing in the 3rd usb, in the console. Both of these drives are formatted in FAT32. Some of the issues with thumb drives not working are based on manufacturer, I have run into the same problem with transferring data, some drive work and some don't, like I said before, I use these TEAM 32gb mini thumb drives everyday for work, but the 2020 does not recognize them. I have a few 64gb SanDisk mini drives coming, will try those and update what I find.

herf88

Reaction score
I know a lot of people use their phones for music playback. I do not, and do not want to start either..... I am not a big I-tunes fan either.

I use a 64 gig USB drive, and store lossless MP3 music files on it. I am a dinosaur and still buy CD's, then rip them.

One notable short combing of this system, is that I can't select a genre and hit shuffle. It appears the software relies more on playlists than file tagging.

If anyone else has figured out a good way to tag and store files on a thumb drive, including playlists, play share that with me.

Users who are viewing this thread