5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB thumb drive: music files

sailouterbanks

Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie has the third Data USB on the rear of the Center Console.
The other is charge only.

Malodave
You would think the Limited trim would have that too. Not on build sheet either. My build date was 10/20. Any recent Limited's with rear usb data port?

smokethrower2

Reaction score
Update on my 65 gb flash drive. So now it's formatted NTFS and has 12 folders with 6544 mp3 files. The truck reads 11 of the 12 folders and 4694 songs. The other 1850 files are in the folder it doesn't recognize.

Is there maybe a max number of files a folder can have for it to work? It's the biggest folder of files of the 12, with about 700 more than the next closest folder's file count. I know I heard of a 1000 folder limit, so made me wonder if there is also a file count limit per folder. I know I have 2 other folders with over 1000 songs in them and those seem to be getting read fine.

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
Pretty much SOP for the computer world. It could be the variables in brands and even radios I guess. Upon further review, I used a Sandisk 3.1 Ultra fit 128 g USB drive from Amazon $18.99. It resides in the #2 USB port and starts where it was playing when I restart the truck.
My 12" has not yet received the latest update.
FYI
Thanks for the info on the SanDisk Ultra. Checked them out online and like the slim profile. Will be getting one soon! I'll have to check my USB ports in the back. Though I would really prefer to hook it up in a concealed location (ie: under arm center console, but I think that's a charge only port...ugh, would've been perfect). Too bad there isn't a microSD card reader for the UConnect system.

-2020 Ram Limited

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update on my 65 gb flash drive. So now it's formatted NTFS and has 12 folders with 6544 mp3 files. The truck reads 11 of the 12 folders and 4694 songs. The other 1850 files are in the folder it doesn't recognize.

Is there maybe a max number of files a folder can have for it to work? It's the biggest folder of files of the 12, with about 700 more than the next closest folder's file count. I know I heard of a 1000 folder limit, so made me wonder if there is also a file count limit per folder. I know I have 2 other folders with over 1000 songs in them and those seem to be getting read fine.
The only things I know are that the max supported size is 64GB and 255 characters for a file name...which is the entire path to get to that file. "Fortunate Son" is not a 13 character file name. The file name is actually the entire path to get there (e.g. "Music/Rock/Classic Rock/Credence Clearwater Revival/Fortunate Son" which is a lot longer than 13 characters).

I'm not sure about the NTFS format but I have my 64GB thumb drive formatted in FAT32 and I don't go more than 2 folders "deep" for songs files. I don't have any issues but I'm also only using about 15GB of the thumb drive.

daveacre

Reaction score
I have a 19 Laramie w/12" screen. I decided to rip a lot of my CD's using Windows Media player and FLAC. I used an old 16 g 2.0 USB drive formatted to Fat32 as a trial and it worked well with the radio so I ordered a Sandisk 128 g 3.0 mini USB drive. When it came the format options were exfat or NTFS, I chose exfat and no bueno. The radio saw the USB but couldn't read it so I formatted to NTFS and it reads the music fine. Plays great as well.
I ripped to my computers hard drive and then transferred the files to the USB drive.
Trucks build date - 2/19
Does your system have a Search and Shuffle capability?

DivingOtter

Reaction score
You do have Search and Shuffle, Confirmed Yesterday.... But it didn't recognize my play lists? What file extension is it looking for? From those that it does!

DivingOtter

Reaction score
Got my truck over the weekend and had an extended 6 hour drive to mess with my 64gb thumb drive... Came FAT32 and worked fine, but didn't recognize any of my playlists? I only had 3... I created the playlists on my work laptop.... What am I missing?

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
Just checked. My left rear usb is labeled usb3 and you can select it as a source. Sweet.
Any idea if these USB ports continue to draw power when the truck is shut off? One of my USBs lights up when it has power, which stayed on after I turned the truck off, but I didn't wait around long enough to see if/when it would turn off. I unplugged it because I didn't want to stay on.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any idea if these USB ports continue to draw power when the truck is shut off? One of my USBs lights up when it has power, which stayed on after I turned the truck off, but I didn't wait around long enough to see if/when it would turn off. I unplugged it because I didn't want to stay on.
The USB ports stay on (to charge devices) for 2 hours after you turn off the engine.

For data they stay on for as long as you have your accessory delay set for (up to 10 min after you turn off the engine) or you open one of the front doors.

Last edited:

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
The USB ports stay on (to charge devices) for 2 hours after you turn off the engine.

For data they stay on for as long as you have your accessory delay set for (up to 10 min after you turn off the engine) or you open one of the front doors.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm sure these devices don't draw too much power to impact the battery, but just didn't want them powered on for a long time when not in use. Didn't realize there was a setting for accessory delay.

Thanks again!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure these devices don't draw too much power to impact the battery, but just didn't want them powered on for a long time when not in use.
Nominal draw, especially for only 2 hours. That's plenty of time to add juice to your phone though.

Didn't realize there was a setting for accessory delay.
Go you your Settings. Select Engine Off Options:

IMG-3226.jpg

Then you can set you Engine Off Power Delay (0 sec, 45 sec, 5 min, 10 min):

IMG-3227.jpg

Rlandon

Reaction score
Anyone get the mp3 files working? I have two 1TB Seagate USB powered drives with the same exact data (mirrored). They are loaded with tons of songs from my CD collection. I keep one in my 2011 Mustang with Sync and it will max out at 22K songs due to a Sync index limitation. If I load the other drive into Port1 of my Ram I got 926 songs originally (non shuffle). Now it will only find 26 in shuffle mode. Yet I can search by Artist and it will find all the artists on the drive. Once I enter that, it will find only a partial list of album names, and if lucky only a song or two within that. Mine is a 3/21 Laramie so it should have the latest updates. The Uconnect site says I do. I'm in the process of upgrading the Alpine speakers this weekend to test it out with the Alpine amp, otherwise I have a JL HD900/5 amp to make them thump.

This seems like a malfunction of the system rather than the drive. I can play the drive in any other vehicle or computer. At least in the Mustang it tells me in voice it can only play 22K max files. I've got too much good music on the drive to not get this working somehow.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone get the mp3 files working? I have two 1TB Seagate USB powered drives with the same exact data (mirrored). They are loaded with tons of songs from my CD collection. I keep one in my 2011 Mustang with Sync and it will max out at 22K songs due to a Sync index limitation. If I load the other drive into Port1 of my Ram I got 926 songs originally (non shuffle). Now it will only find 26 in shuffle mode. Yet I can search by Artist and it will find all the artists on the drive. Once I enter that, it will find only a partial list of album names, and if lucky only a song or two within that. Mine is a 3/21 Laramie so it should have the latest updates. The Uconnect site says I do. I'm in the process of upgrading the Alpine speakers this weekend to test it out with the Alpine amp, otherwise I have a JL HD900/5 amp to make them thump.

This seems like a malfunction of the system rather than the drive. I can play the drive in any other vehicle or computer. At least in the Mustang it tells me in voice it can only play 22K max files. I've got too much good music on the drive to not get this working somehow.
The maximum USB drive size supported is 64GB.

I have a 16GB thumb drive (USB-C) and a 64GB thumb drive (USB-A) and they both work fine. I just have a bunch of folders with songs in them that I use my touch-screen to navigate and play.

I don't use special indexing or voice controls so don't know if there's an issue using the metadata in your files or if you're connecting storage devices way over the 64GB supported size and your truck is trying to drink through a garden hose of data coming its way.

Rlandon

Reaction score
The maximum USB drive size supported is 64GB.

I have a 16GB thumb drive (USB-C) and a 64GB thumb drive (USB-A) and they both work fine. I just have a bunch of folders with songs in them that I use my touch-screen to navigate and play.

I don't use special indexing or voice controls so don't know if there's an issue using the metadata in your files or if you're connecting storage devices way over the 64GB supported size and your truck is trying to drink through a garden hose of data coming its way.
I went through 30 or so folders this morning to clean them up on the drive, hoping to remove any special characters, song numbers in the file name, and such. The weather is horrible out now so I'm not going out to the detached shop to try it in the truck. I'll try later.

I'm thinking it's a software issue with the indexing and file names. I only have over 100K songs on the drive, haha!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's a software issue with the indexing and file names. I only have over 100K songs on the drive, haha!

Well, you have me beat! I only have around 28,000 songs and
that includes Doubles and Triples.

Malodave

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine from a previous post on the same issue. (brought it over from the Durango R/T)

Attachments

• 20190729_131135.jpg
    20190729_131135.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 16

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Rlandon

Reaction score
Well, you have me beat! I only have around 28,000 songs and
that includes Doubles and Triples.

Malodave
Everything from Christmas music to Jazz, Classical, Metal, Country, and the McKenzie Brothers! LOTS! But can't listen to 90% of it on shuffle mode or directly by folder. Sux!

Users who are viewing this thread