5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB thumb drive: music files

RJS

Reaction score
Sooo much conflicting information on the topic:(

Pretty much SOP for the computer world. It could be the variables in brands and even radios I guess. Upon further review, I used a Sandisk 3.1 Ultra fit 128 g USB drive from Amazon $18.99. It resides in the #2 USB port and starts where it was playing when I restart the truck.
My 12" has not yet received the latest update.
FYI

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I was having issues with using a thumbdrive that was formated FAT32 through a win7 Pro laptop and when plugged into the 12.1 in my truck it would usually play a couple times before it would stall out on some random track and then would no longer recognize the drive at all. I would then pull the drive, delete that particular song and then use it again and it might work for one or 2 more times at best and then pick another song. This began to become very frustrating so I reformatted it using NTSF and that did about the same thing. I even tried to reburn some of the CD's again to various formats and that didnt help either. I then tried using a WIN10 laptop and started reburning the cds on it and transferring them to the thumbdrive which still didnt help. Yes I tried several different brands and sizes of thumbdrives too. In the end I am now using a microSD card, in a USB reader plugged into the 12.1 burned with/on the WIN10 laptop and have had no issues really except that because the adapter is now sticking out a bit further that it gets bumped occassionally and has to be situated back into the USB socket fully to connect. All this has been weird because for like the first couple of weeks I had absolutely no problems with the original USB drive(sandisk) working in its original configuration at all, then one day it started doing all of this. And as far as I know my 2020 1500 12.1 system build date 9/19/2019 has gotten no updates at all so far.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
see previous posts which may be intertwinned in other threads as there are so many about Thumbdrives on here ..
I'm using a MicroSD (inside the SD adapter), 64G Full-size thumbdrive, and a 320G External SSD :: no issues :)

however, I'm on an 8.4NAV and not the 12"

Tom Gross

Reaction score
Pretty much SOP for the computer world. It could be the variables in brands and even radios I guess. Upon further review, I used a Sandisk 3.1 Ultra fit 128 g USB drive from Amazon $18.99. It resides in the #2 USB port and starts where it was playing when I restart the truck.
My 12" has not yet received the latest update.
FYI
Problem solved, ripped CD music in MP3 format to flash drive formatted to FAT32. LG

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Soooooooo...port 3 does not work but 2 does for me. Is this the case for everyone? I saw a previous post that stated 2 & 3 should work.

Jules83

Reaction score
Hey everyone, finally registered to express my thanks for all the answers in the community - particularly in regards to the UConnect - and share my experience.

I have a 250TB SanDisk extreme portable SSD connected to the 12" via USB C (USB 3 on the back of the arm rest) - NTFS, mix of flac and mp3 files. Suddenly newly added files weren't showing and I remembered reading about a folder limit.

I have around 13,000 files in 1,060 folders (Category/Artist/Album/) on the drive but only around 11,000 were recognized by the UConnect. By only moving files from individual album folders into the parent folder (Artist/) and bringing the total number of folders to 999, the number of recognized files increased to around 12,500. The rest must be in limbo due to breaking naming conventions and having special characters or some such.
So it seems it's not the file format of the drive or the total number of files on it (let's see if this is still true once I cross 20,000) but the number of folders on the drive.

Hopefully this helps!

TheGRam

Reaction score
Soooooooo...port 3 does not work but 2 does for me. Is this the case for everyone? I saw a previous post that stated 2 & 3 should work.
I've been using port 3 since I got the truck. I had this same USB drive in my '18 Murano, just moved it over.

smokethrower2

Reaction score
Finally found this thread again, I posted on a different thread this morning about someone missing some songs. I can't even get my drive to work.

From what i've seen before there is a number of folders limit and the drive must be formatted to fat32 as well. I can't seem to get my SanDisk 64 gb usb flash drive to read. Pulled it from my 2016 Sonata where it worked fine for years, the 1500 won't read it. It's formatted to fat32 as the Sonata needed that as well, but it had thousands of folders. I moved all 6722 mp3s from the bulk of the folders to only 12 folders on the root level... and it still doesn't read it. I have 37 files on an old 8gb usb drive that I used when was test driving the trucks works fine, no folders on it. I just tried no folders, all 6700 mp3s at root level, still gives the "USB Error Reconnect" message I think is what it says.

This is the drive that I can't get to read: SanDisk Ultra 64GB USB 3.0 OTG Flash Drive With micro USB connector For Android Mobile Devices.

Anyone else having any issues or have any ideas on how to get this drive to work?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was having problems with mine when I first got my truck so I deleted everything off of the drive and started over and it has worked fine ever since. Must have been one corrupted file on the drive and it caused it to not work right. Like all kinds of problems.. radio rebooting randomly, etc. I have a 64GB drive also.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I got mine to work by using a usb c hub/card reader and used a windows 10 computer to load the songs on it. Was getting read errors all the time when trying to use the regular usb port and by using my win 7 pro computer to load the micro sd card with.

sailouterbanks

Reaction score
The manual for the limited makes it sound like the left port in the rear seat console are media ports and the right side is charging only. I only have an option for media on the ports in the front console. Am I reading this wrong? I was hoping to put a usb drive in the rear port to keep the one up front free.

TheGRam

Reaction score
The manual for the limited makes it sound like the left port in the rear seat console are media ports and the right side is charging only. I only have an option for media on the ports in the front console. Am I reading this wrong? I was hoping to put a usb drive in the rear port to keep the one up front free.
I have my USB drive in the 3rd port to keep my front ones free.

smokethrower2

Reaction score
Update: So I formatted the 64gb flash drive back to NTFS after seeing people NTFS works. I copied over all the mp3s in all their folders still just to test it out. I put the drive in USB1, left side from console and it worked. It's only reading like 1700ish of the 6700ish songs but I think that is from the folder limit issue I saw somewhere else. I will try to move all of the files in to the 12 main grouped genre folders and see if that works. It's also continue playing after a truck restart from where it left off, I think I saw someone with that issue before, but I think he said a software update fixed that. Just wanted to throw that out there as well.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone, finally registered to express my thanks for all the answers in the community - particularly in regards to the UConnect - and share my experience.

I have a 250TB SanDisk extreme portable SSD connected to the 12" via USB C (USB 3 on the back of the arm rest) - NTFS, mix of flac and mp3 files. Suddenly newly added files weren't showing and I remembered reading about a folder limit.

I have around 13,000 files in 1,060 folders (Category/Artist/Album/) on the drive but only around 11,000 were recognized by the UConnect. By only moving files from individual album folders into the parent folder (Artist/) and bringing the total number of folders to 999, the number of recognized files increased to around 12,500. The rest must be in limbo due to breaking naming conventions and having special characters or some such.
So it seems it's not the file format of the drive or the total number of files on it (let's see if this is still true once I cross 20,000) but the number of folders on the drive.

Hopefully this helps!
250 TB! I think you mean GB.

Malodave

sailouterbanks

Reaction score
Wow! Looks like the 2021 Limited eliminated the 3rd media port. The rear two are charge only. My printed manual shows it as usb media port 3 on the left side rear. The online 2021 manual says they are charge only. I had wanted to leave a usb drive in the rear port...sad

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie has the third Data USB on the rear of the Center Console.
The other is charge only.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread