5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB thumb drive: music files

futuruss

Reaction score
So after reformating to NTFS it's still not working... looks like ram system can't recognize hard drives with big values... what strange is that they don't have any info in manual about it...

futuruss

Reaction score
So today I called
UCONNECT® ACCESS 855-792-4241
and was informed that new RAM's (uconnect system) not supported external hard driver or flash drive through USB with MP3 music!!!
The vehicle price over 50k and not support external hard drives its a joke...
But I notice that some of you have it and it works... I tried to find out maybe it uses less volume up to a quarter of a terabyte... they don't know...

My next project is to reformat and use different allocation units or partition with different volumes 256g 128g 64g 32g and transfer all my music to each one... hopefully it will recognize at list one of them... Screenshot (5).png ;)

Last edited:

futuruss

Reaction score
So I tried and it didn't work. Next project the same sh///:devilish: but on exFAT32...

hup5150

Reaction score
Anyone know the max Capacity? Would a 128g work?

futuruss

Reaction score
Anyone know the max Capacity? Would a 128g work?

The way I understood it's not even about capacity problem... uconnect is not support any external or flash drive - that's what they told me...

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The way I understood it's not even about capacity problem... uconnect is not support any external or flash drive - that's what they told me...
How is that possible? Mine works, it just has to scan every time and never remembers the active song when the truck is shut off. I have a 64G drive that I leave plugged in.

kevinssaco

Reaction score
I've been getting frustrated with trying to play music off my USB. My truck doesn't recognize the USB in any port! I've tried two different formats the last being NTFS. From what I'm reading I'll try FAT32 next. Here goes nothing. My only complaint with this truck thus far but far from a show stopper. I just know my last two vehicles a Chevy and a Toyota both played the music just fine they way it was and now it doesn't. Next step is a bonified MP3 player.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, music sounds better from a good phone / mp3 player as the MP3's are being processed by the phone's or MP3 Player's DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). The DAC in the stock radio isn't bad per se, it's just not as good. There is something to be said for convenience however but when I really want to listen to music, I want it to be the best the overall system can provide.

futuruss

Reaction score
So I see it's still an issue. I went another way, got SD card for my phone and problem solved.

hotsht333

Reaction score
I use a 64g thumb drive formatted to fat32 works great

Last edited:

DB19

Reaction score
Is 64gig the largest thumbdrive the system will comfortably accept? Can anyone confirm a brand name & max gig for me to use? I do intend on streaming my music for the most part, but I always like to have my greatest hits handy on a flashdrive.

hotsht333

Reaction score
Is 64gig the largest thumbdrive the system will comfortably accept? Can anyone confirm a brand name & max gig for me to use? I do intend on streaming my music for the most part, but I always like to have my greatest hits handy on a flashdrive.
64 is as big as ive tried , its just a no name thumb drive

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a Samsung Fit 128 GB formatted Fat 32 with all MP3 format files.....I have no problems whatsoever. I did have the problem of it not remembering where it left off and having to rescan the entire drive every time that I turned the truck on; that problem was resolved by a software update at my Service Department. I have the 8.4", Alpine, no nav.

ant0064

Reaction score
I use a Samsung Fit 128 GB formatted Fat 32 with all MP3 format files.....I have no problems whatsoever. I did have the problem of it not remembering where it left off and having to rescan the entire drive every time that I turned the truck on; that problem was resolved by a software update at my Service Department. I have the 8.4", Alpine, no nav.

Did you have to reformat this to FAT32? I bought one of these and it simply won't work...I've been reading today and it seems like I need to reformat.

ant0064

Reaction score
So I see it's still an issue. I went another way, got SD card for my phone and problem solved.

Do you just use your phone over bluetooth for music? Android Auto is atrocious...safety features make me less safe because I have to use my phone to scroll through music instead of my massive 12" screen right in front of my face...getting music to play from a flash drive is a joke. Voice recognition for just about anything is garbage. 2019. "Technology" and "safety".

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you just use your phone over bluetooth for music? Android Auto is atrocious...safety features make me less safe because I have to use my phone to scroll through music instead of my massive 12" screen right in front of my face...getting music to play from a flash drive is a joke. Voice recognition for just about anything is garbage. 2019. "Technology" and "safety".
I use USB for my Music. Big drive, formatted Fat 32, all MP3 files. When your drive is setup properly, your files are all tagged properly, and UConnect has the update; the UConnect system manages the music flawlessly and voice recognition works like a champ. I love mine. I had problems at first; but found out there was a UConnect update...no problems since.

ant0064

Reaction score
I use USB for my Music. Big drive, formatted Fat 32, all MP3 files. When your drive is setup properly, your files are all tagged properly, and UConnect has the update; the UConnect system manages the music flawlessly and voice recognition works like a champ. I love mine. I had problems at first; but found out there was a UConnect update...no problems since.

Maybe I need a UConnect update, but my truck was built in April of this year. Mine is working quite terribly in terms of flash drive recognition. Do you need to go to the dealership or is there another way to update it?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My R/T has been using 320G SSD and a 128G SD without problems .. when I start the vehicle, it continues to play the song where it left off .. if I happen to grab the 2nd FOB, it remembers what song was playing on that one as well. (see other post of when I tried to add more songs, I lost connectivity but was able to reset my Uconnect and get the songs back).

I don't understand why there would be such a difference between the 2 platforms (Durango R/T 8.4 NAV Uconnect & RAM 1500 UConnect). Once mine delivers from the factory, I'll be able to play around more and find out.

And to the previous posts, FAT32 is what the drive should be formatted to .. at least on my Uconnect.

ant0064

Reaction score
My R/T has been using 320G SSD and a 128G SD without problems .. when I start the vehicle, it continues to play the song where it left off .. if I happen to grab the 2nd FOB, it remembers what song was playing on that one as well. (see other post of when I tried to add more songs, I lost connectivity but was able to reset my Uconnect and get the songs back).

I don't understand why there would be such a difference between the 2 platforms (Durango R/T 8.4 NAV Uconnect & RAM 1500 UConnect). Once mine delivers from the factory, I'll be able to play around more and find out.

And to the previous posts, FAT32 is what the drive should be formatted to .. at least on my Uconnect.

So you're using a mini SD card with a USB adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread