5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB and CarPlay doesn’t work when hot outside.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
According to the part number there have been 5 revisions but the paperwork for the last time mine was replaced shows this latest revision part number (Sept 2021). I went ahead and ordered one from Mopar anyway and will verify the part numbers when I get it.

Part Number: 68272254AE
Supersession(s): 68272254AA; 68272254AB; 68272254AC; 68272254AD
Thanks. So the sept 2021 revision still has the problem?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..... I am considering adding a Toggle switch to that fuse location to be able to do this while driving....
Funny, because I was thinking you could do exactly that while I was reading about the fuse. Far from ideal, but I guess it's a way to be able to fix it without waiting an hour after it cools down, and without having to pull over to pull a fuse.

I'm interested to see if Dmalonecentral resolves the problem by replacing the part with the current version.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Funny, because I was thinking you could do exactly that while I was reading about the fuse. Far from ideal, but I guess it's a way to be able to fix it without waiting an hour after it cools down, and without having to pull over to pull a fuse.

I'm interested to see if Dmalonecentral resolves the problem by replacing the part with the current version.

I give an update when I get the part. Shows in progress. I’m not going to take out the console until I have the new one in hand.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Talked to Stellantis just now. I gave her additional information, and she will be getting with the tech dept for more info. Won't be hearing back until next week.

She also said that this was the 2nd case for 2019 ram 1500 for her today with the same issue. Not sure if one of you spoke to rep today? More to come......

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Talked to Stellantis just now. I gave her additional information, and she will be getting with the tech dept for more info. Won't be hearing back until next week.

She also said that this was the 2nd case for 2019 ram 1500 for her today with the same issue. Not sure if one of you spoke to rep today? More to come......

It was me. Was it Tiffany?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just got in my truck after work. Dash thermometer Reads 99°, but it is sort of a cloudy day. USB an CarPlay work fine today

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Another interesting note for me. Weather app says it’s 110° here in Phoenix today. OBD was reading 115-118 while driving. Anyway, daughter told me she had to go to volleyball about 5 minutes before she had to be there. Cold start, blistering hot, obviously no CarPlay. Drive 2 miles. Parked in the lot and pulled F43 and reset it. Lo and behold CarPlay came back on. I think we are just barely hitting the upper limit of the thermistor and there must be something that triggers a reset after 30 minutes to power cycle the Media Hub or 10 minutes or so after the truck has been turned off but cooled down just a little. Triggering a reset manually worked after the truck barely cooled down.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another interesting note for me. Weather app says it’s 110° here in Phoenix today. OBD was reading 115-118 while driving. Anyway, daughter told me she had to go to volleyball about 5 minutes before she had to be there. Cold start, blistering hot, obviously no CarPlay. Drive 2 miles. Parked in the lot and pulled F44 and reset it. Lo and behold CarPlay came back on. I think we are just barely hitting the upper limit of the thermistor and there must be something that triggers a reset after 30 minutes to power cycle the Media Hub or 10 minutes or so after the truck has been turned off but cooled down just a little. Triggering a reset manually worked after the truck barely cooled down.
It’s very strange that the F44 fuse pull resets the hub. F44 is power for the radio module/display screen. F43 is a micro 3 fuse, and one leg is power for the media hubs, and the other leg is power for the OBD port.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
It’s very strange that the F44 fuse pull resets the hub. F44 is power for the radio module/display screen. F43 is a micro 3 fuse, and one leg is power for the media hubs, and the other leg is power for the OBD port.

I believe you are correct. I messed up my numbers. I will edit my posts. Thanks for pointing that out.

Barqs

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Sorry to hear you're experiencing this! Feel free to follow up with us in private message with your VINs. We'd like to look into this concern further in order to determine how we can best assist.

Sarah
Ram Cares
PM sent. Carplay worked this morning but then disappeared all together after sitting in the sun for about 45 minutes. Now it won't come back. First time dealing with this issue myself.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I should be getting a call back from Tiffany today.

Barqs

Reaction score
My Carplay returned to action last night when I got back in the truck after letting it sit for several hours in the afternoon sun. It was still hot, but not as hot as the morning sun had gotten the interior of the truck when Carplay stopped on me. That is the strangest thing. I'll keep watching it for more consistent inactivity before pursuing a repair.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
My Carplay returned to action last night when I got back in the truck after letting it sit for several hours in the afternoon sun. It was still hot, but not as hot as the morning sun had gotten the interior of the truck when Carplay stopped on me. That is the strangest thing. I'll keep watching it for more consistent inactivity before pursuing a repair.

It will always come back when the temp is down. I am not sure if you read through the posts or the other one I linked but I firmly believe that it is either a bad batch of thermistors or Ram had the spec way too low. If you can live with it probably not working when parked directly in the sun on 100+ days then no repair is not necessary. Myself, I live in Phoenix and park in my driveway so it’s basically 5-6 months of the year where it doesn’t work for me unless it’s early morning or evening.

Barqs

Reaction score
It will always come back when the temp is down. I am not sure if you read through the posts or the other one I linked but I firmly believe that it is either a bad batch of thermistors or Ram had the spec way too low. If you can live with it probably not working when parked directly in the sun on 100+ days then no repair is not necessary. Myself, I live in Phoenix and park in my driveway so it’s basically 5-6 months of the year where it doesn’t work for me unless it’s early morning or evening.
What's strange is that I've had this truck for over 3 years and here in Alabama we often get hot summer days and I have never had this issue before this week. The past week it's been warm for June, but not record breaking heat by any means. But yeah, it would suck to not have Carplay working 6 months out of the year for sure!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine doesn’t come back until I turn the truck completely off for about 10 min.

Sho-Nuff

Reaction score
Ran into this exact problem today here in Memphis. I think it's a skrillion degrees outside and my USBs are definitely not working today.

Users who are viewing this thread