5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upper glove box light

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
The light in my upper glove box comes on when i open the front panel. I saw a video someone that his stays on and dims with the mood lighting dimmer switch. Is mine working right or should it be on all the time?

Mikent

Reaction score
I’m not sure about your model, but the Laramie has two roller switches just to the right of the headlight switch. If i recall correctly, one controls the brightness of the dash lights and the other switch controls in LED interior lighting including the brightness of the upper glove box light.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The light in my upper glove box comes on when i open the front panel. I saw a video someone that his stays on and dims with the mood lighting dimmer switch. Is mine working right or should it be on all the time?
Green68,

If you’re describing the light inside the glovebox, then no, there’s no manual switch. It should turn off on its own.

If this is what you are talking about, then yes, use the switch like Mikent described:

DE5EDC95-4C32-4424-9AE5-F53543F7592D.jpeg

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
So i take it on the uppeer trim levels it is “mood lighting” and on my big horn it is work correctly by coming on when i open the glove box and going off when i close it?

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
I’m not sure about your model, but the Laramie has two roller switches just to the right of the headlight switch. If i recall correctly, one controls the brightness of the dash lights and the other switch controls in LED interior lighting including the brightness of the upper glove box light.
I do have two roller switches and the one on the left ONLY works and controls a small “mood light” on the panel on the roof thst shines directly into the console under the radio when the right roller switch is NOT on the brightest setting. I dont think the left roller dims the upper glove box light in my truck.

Czcon12

Reaction score
My light stays on all the time and it drives me nuts because you can see it through the cracks at night. That roller switch does dim the light inside but also dims all the rest witch I don't like.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So i take it on the uppeer trim levels it is “mood lighting” and on my big horn it is work correctly by coming on when i open the glove box and going off when i close it?
Yes, if you don’t have ambient lighting in your truck, then the light should turn off when the glovebox is closed.
It has been an issue where it stays on though, which required dealers to fix. Not sure what that fix was though.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I do have two roller switches and the one on the left ONLY works and controls a small “mood light” on the panel on the roof thst shines directly into the console under the radio when the right roller switch is NOT on the brightest setting. I dont think the left roller dims the upper glove box light in my truck.
Right, that switch adjusts only the cabin light you mention.

deanfx

Reaction score
My lower glove box light stays on. The rod on the on/off switch is too short to turn the light off. Wanna know how I know? I added a rubber vacuum cap to the rod and it turns the switch off. I went to the dealership today and they are trying to warranty a new glove box door for me. We'll see how that works out. Already had the switch replaced and it didn't fix it.

jaberwock

Reaction score
I have the 2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn Laramie and have the same issue - that dang light is always on in the upper glovebox. Even when both roller controls are at the lowest, the light from glovebox is still shining bright. Asked at the last couple of regular maintenance visits at the dealership... "well that is odd, isn't it?" So helpful.

I read through some other posts, and apparently you can do a self-fix with better sealing the glovebox with a kit from Lowe's for $20 (9/16/19 post), or have the dealer replace the glove box and light assembly, which s/b under warranty.

No, it's not a big deal overall, but goodness is it irritating.

jaberwock

Reaction score
Just an FYI, upper glove box light not an issues on the Ram 2020. No, that's not why I traded in my 2019 but sure do appreciate that little detail.

Cudapower

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie, and my light stayed on all the time. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just an FYI, upper glove box light not an issues on the Ram 2020. No, that's not why I traded in my 2019 but sure do appreciate that little detail.
I have a 2019 Laramie, and my light stayed on all the time. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it.

Hi @jaberwock & @Cudapower - If you are ever in need of any additional assistance with your trucks, please do not hesitate to follow up with our team via private message. Should you ever need to work with your dealers again, we are more than happy to escalate cases on your behalf for additional support through that process.

Mark
RamCares

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My light stays on all the time and it drives me nuts because you can see it through the cracks at night. That roller switch does dim the light inside but also dims all the rest witch I don't like.
My dealer put a new upper glove box in my truck for the light staying on all the time. I know what you mean; it drove me absolutely crazy. If you are still under warranty; take it in and they will fix or replace it.

Czcon12

Reaction score
My dealer put a new upper glove box in my truck for the light staying on all the time. I know what you mean; it drove me absolutely crazy. If you are still under warranty; take it in and they will fix or replace it.
Yup I've got to bring it in for that and the cracks around my rear window that I just found today.

Jfluffy2

Reaction score
Yup I've got to bring it in for that and the cracks around my rear window that I just found today.
Hello all, I just bought a use 2019 Laramie and my upper glove box light would not go out. I have fixed it myself by taken the dash apart, the upper glove box is a one piece unit. on the right side of the unit there is a mico switch that turns the light on and off, as the glove box lid is closing the arm of the door rotate and pushes the switch open shutting off the light.
On the right arm of the glove box is felt tape that push against the switch, this tape is not thick enough to push the switch open so I added four more layers of electrical tape and that did the trick.

it took me about an hour to take the dash apart and only a half hour to put it back together.

GeorgeT

Reaction score
Hello all, I just bought a use 2019 Laramie and my upper glove box light would not go out. I have fixed it myself by taken the dash apart, the upper glove box is a one piece unit. on the right side of the unit there is a mico switch that turns the light on and off, as the glove box lid is closing the arm of the door rotate and pushes the switch open shutting off the light.
On the right arm of the glove box is felt tape that push against the switch, this tape is not thick enough to push the switch open so I added four more layers of electrical tape and that did the trick.

it took me about an hour to take the dash apart and only a half hour to put it back together.
How difficult is it to take apart?

snj1013

Reaction score
Took my Ram in last weekend and my dealer couldn't notice the issue. A little frustrating, but I will be back to get them and get it fixed. Drives me crazy seeing that little bit of light at night. I can reach over and push on the upper glove box and get the light to turn off, but the next time I hit a bump in the road, the light comes back on....

Jfluffy2

Reaction score
How difficult is it to take apart?
it's not really difficult to take the glove box out. There's hidden screw in the right a/c vent but the vent pop's right out and you can get to it. if you like I can write up the steps.

BGC

Reaction score
On the topic of upper glove box, I ha e a 2020 bighorn and I don’t have an issue with mine staying on but I have been wondering if it’s led or not? If it’s not, is it something people have changed to an led? I changed all my other interiors to led bulbs including the lower glove box, but can’t seem to find a thread here that talks about changing the bulb out. It’s a very small light but it’s more yellow compared to my new leds I put in the lower box and map lights. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread