5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update: DO NOT BUY RAM WITH RAMBOX - Warping and Alignment Issue with 2019 Rams

Justbry

Reaction score
So they replaced just the top portion?
We’re trying it step by step, started with the caps and hardware. I didn’t want to change the side panels just yet as that would of required them to be painted, and no matter how good a body shop is they will never match perfectly the way factory is.

I have attached before and after pictures of the drivers side.

35FB687C-8C0E-45C5-B33E-610AEA7401E4.jpeg 50AA42A3-7EDB-407E-B65A-18E52228AA6A.jpeg

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We’re trying it step by step, started with the caps and hardware. I didn’t want to change the side panels just yet as that would of required them to be painted, and no matter how good a body shop is they will never match perfectly the way factory is.

I have attached before and after pictures of the drivers side.

View attachment 39067 View attachment 39068
That’s much better. People were saying you couldn’t just replace that top portion so that’s good to know.

jabara572

Reaction score
Every Rambox ive seen is horribly warped/misaligned. I was initally bummed I didnt get them but now I am glad I didnt.

lasani1121

Reaction score
The trend in "fixes" from FCA is that if it can't be fixed with a 5 minute electronic flash it doesn't get fixed unless it's a safety recall. My prediction is they will fix the issue in a later model year and change the design just enough that it's not backwards compatible, and hence won't work for current Rambox owners. Call me a skeptic but I'd bet money on it.
Well i hope that is not the case.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I knew well in advance before having my rig built in July 2019 about these .. I still ordered them
The painted portions are reused with the replacements (keeps you from having to try to color-match).

"3) There is no support on the inside back of both the door and black cap on top. The plastic door and black cap on top will expand and contract in heat and cold weather. I live in Orange County, SoCal and its always hot here so that means my door will always contract inward creating gaps and the black top, from the pictures below with bow at each end and get worse over time. "

This was when I was designing a couple options on another thread about beefing these up until FCA comes out with a better replacement -- and compared the 5th GEN to the 4th GEN was night & day. As stated, even if you get these things aligned PERFECTLY, the next hot or cold day the plastic will change again :(

"4) To help my issue to a certain degree, the body shop could only move the striker slightly down on the inside where the door latches onto in order to pull the door down to have the door not stick outward and away from the truck. (as seen in the pics below). This did not solve the issue but did the following: "

I posted up the service bulletin that FCA put out on another post as well .. the striker ONLY affects the entire door position -- NOT the two outer edges all of us owners have been complaining about. I couldn't believe how FCA said to bend the striker this way or that way as an easy fix when another dedicated and hardcore owner on here documented the entire process of removing and doing things properly.

If you purchase some of the sticky-rubber-buttons, you can place them inside on the two outer lower corners and get the edges back out away from the main body.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really prefer them even if little warped, their utility and usefullness is something else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is where I'm at, but I might be singing a different tune if I lived a super warm climate like AZ!
I live on a coast that sees 4 seasons.

If my ram boxes are warped, I haven't really noticed - or if they are, it's not severe enough to sell me off the whole experience.
Locking, built in truck boxes, that isn't a giant silver box in the back eating up length in the bed? I'll take the trade off!
Some guys prefer extra room and will deal with the wheel wells, some prefer the extra length for cargo and like the cargo, locked into the body on the sides. This might sound odd but if they were some sort of tasteful black polymer (not to be confused with the stuff in GM interiors), I would honestly be okay with that as well. I'm all in on the function of them.

stevestrike

Reaction score
I got a change to see what the replacement parts look like. Basically it's just the lids--an "L" shaped piece of plastic that has the top with the "RAMBOX" lettering on it and the side panel where the button and lock is. The lock hardware and painted side panel are not included, so they will reuse those from your truck--paint matching isn't an issue.

What will be an issue is that even out of the box, these plastic lids looked warped the exact same way to my eye. If these were 2x4's in a lumber yard I'd keep looking!

Does FCA really care? I guess we'll find out.

The good news here would be that can decide to stamp the same part out of metal if they wanted to and retro-fitting lids shouldn't present much of an issue.

Maconi

Reaction score
I don't see this getting fixed. They tried switching to a cheaper material (plastic) and are obviously paying the price for it. The Ramboxes will need to be redesigned with a more heat/weather resistant plastic or with standard body panel metal (aluminum). I doubt the redesign would be a simple swap/retrofit and I doubt Ram wants to invest the money in such a recall. They'll probably implement the fix in a few years when they refresh the 2019 style but I wouldn't count on them ever addressing current owner complaints.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Once you have the item replaced under warranty as an issue does that extend the warranty on that part? I figure I’m going to get mine replaced and will a few more times if needed during my 3/36. If that happens enough maybe they will come up with a better replacement.

Reaction score
Bummer! Don't blame you guys for being upset. I purchased a 2017 Laramie that I only have one regret about. That being I failed to get the Ram box. Joined up here because I am planning to get a 2020 with the Ram box. Maybe not I guess. My experience with the 5'7" bed without the Ram box is that the space at the end of the wheel wells both forward and rearward is so small it is useless. There is nothing you can really fit into that space. Might as well have a nice straight interior side wall. That and the apparent lockable utility of the Ram Box has had me ready to trade for a new truck.
Glad I jumped onboard.
Will see what develops.

Ramron

Reaction score
Bummer! Don't blame you guys for being upset. I purchased a 2017 Laramie that I only have one regret about. That being I failed to get the Ram box. Joined up here because I am planning to get a 2020 with the Ram box. Maybe not I guess. My experience with the 5'7" bed without the Ram box is that the space at the end of the wheel wells both forward and rearward is so small it is useless. There is nothing you can really fit into that space. Might as well have a nice straight interior side wall. That and the apparent lockable utility of the Ram Box has had me ready to trade for a new truck.
Glad I jumped onboard.
Will see what develops.
I had a 2015 without the RamBox and now have the 2019 with RamBox. I have had the replacement done once already and about to have it done again. If I had it do it over again, I would definitely still get the RamBox. They are great and I personally love the usable space they provide. Just my 2¢.

Niu45

Reaction score
19 Limited Ramboxes are warped on both sides of truck. Going into dealer next week and have a case getting opened with Ramcares and Star. This is in addition to my bent headliner and electrical issues (passenger headlight out, right rear turn signal out, left rear parking lights out). This is my 4th ram and I love it but the poor plastic decision on the Ramboxes and overall build quality are disappointing...

b86075e42c22b3e856bb37c9714c89a1.jpg
89656d25279be5bf1f4c2e820fb8d0d1.jpg
17c18092bccbcaacada2fcb4865fe103.jpg
a7d908327fc7447a4405e17b61599880.jpg
549f52adee4334f3a5ff0170d3ca4d5b.jpg
4ad82f2c92284a776779579b8057e9f6.jpg
acae8f3077dbd8cd79e4f825afc6e480.jpg
43467b87234980e3788d6fd9e83ddc59.jpg
e4e0cf905189f5bd4a0ec66852fb9440.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluesurf

Reaction score
FCA must address this issue soon. Ramron's pic's are so clear and his box is very distorted. My car has slight gaps, I don't want to see this in the future as the hot Houston sun beats on my truck.

stevestrike

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of any class action talk on this yet? I feel like I was sold a defective product

Leff

Reaction score
My boxes are doing the same but are a little more warped out..not up. Fca isn't going to provide a permanent fix to the warping issues until the manufacturer creates a replacement probably

Reaction score
Anyone know if the 2019 "Classic" Ram has a different design in regards to the Rambox?
Did they ever make them with metal doors ( lids )?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know if the 2019 "Classic" Ram has a different design in regards to the Rambox?
Did they ever make them with metal doors ( lids )?

Yes, Classic is the older design with the curved door bottom. I don't know if there is any steel inside them but you only have to open one to realize that the DS (older design) is far heavier than the new DT redesign. That alone explains why the warping is happening.

Reaction score
Yes, Classic is the older design with the curved door bottom. I don't know if there is any steel inside them but you only have to open one to realize that the DS (older design) is far heavier than the new DT redesign. That alone explains why the warping is happening.
Thanks, local salvage yard has one but they want over two grand.

Users who are viewing this thread