5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UPDATE: 2019 1500 Limited “Pre-owned Certified” not so good

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LOL, really? Are you that telemarketing guy stating your car’s warranty ran out…. “Nice, newer Ram truck, reliable will last a lifetime” but has at 2 major issues (maybe more, truck being diagnosed now) in a short time frame with moderate miles…shouldnt happen with any “quality” truck. I get it that things happen but just felt spending additional money on an additional warranty was a waste (but easy money for the dealer). I figured if there was a major issue ill pay for it figuring that would zero out the cost of a warranty. And that’s what I did on the first issue. Paid for the fix, figured that should do it for a long while but issues 2 and 3 hit within 2 months. Certainly didn’t happen when i bought my used Tundra and F150 which actually had higher miles when I bought those.

Yep, nobody to blame but myself for trusting a truck to not have major issues that’s less than 3 years old.

Every make has a problems, thinking ford and Toyota doesn't is foolish, look at f150 and tundra forums.
My current ram limited has 50k miles on it and has been trouble free, my previous ram was a 2003 that I drove for 17 years and had 277k on it when I sold it. Only problem it ever had was a cracked radiator tank around 250k and a broken intake valve spring at 275K

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA most certainly does everything in their power to deny claims lol
Must be a you thing. This week I worked on a 2012 Grand Cherokee, needs a valve body. Maxcare authorized a trans. But yes they don't ever cover anything on anyone's vehicles. It's most likely a dealer issue or a you problem.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
OP also bought a Limited with 22k miles.
Sounds like someone drove and possible beat the hell out of it for 20k miles and got rid of the Lemon\problem vehicle.

I don't know many people who drive a car\truck for 20k miles and sell it. These are not cheap trucks.

It most likely needs a battery.
The other issues could just be bad luck. 20k+ miles a year is a lot for a car\truck. We put under 10k a year on our 2 trucks, I believe average is 15k miles a year. You can expect a lot more things to go once you get closer to 100k and all your regular maintenance items that might of been neglected likke fluid changes.

Also "Ram Certified" means nothing. You misunderstand what certified pre-owned is.
If the vehicle is under a certain numbers of years\millage, and is obtained and sold from a branded dealership (anotehr Ram dealership). It can\will be marked as certified pre-owned which has a warranty, and the price increases $2-$5k.

Buying a certified pre-owned vs "used" just mean's its more expensive and has a used warranty somewhere between a regular and powertrain warranty.

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
I don't know many people who drive a car\truck for 20k miles and sell it. These are not cheap trucks.

There’s a few idiots like me out there. I sold my 2021 RAM Limited with only 19k miles on it earlier this year. Having owned a few bimmers before, I bought a new X5. It didn’t take long for me to not like the X5, I decided to buy another RAM eight months into my bimmer. I don’t make a ton of money either (I’m in the military), I just make bad monetary decisions.

Jorangel87

Reaction score
OP also bought a Limited with 22k miles.
Sounds like someone drove and possible beat the hell out of it for 20k miles and got rid of the Lemon\problem vehicle.

It most likely needs a battery.
The other issues could just be bad luck. 20k+ miles a year is a lot for a car\truck. We put under 10k a year on our 2 trucks, I believe average is 15k miles a year. You can expect a lot more things to go once you get closer to 100k and all your regular maintenance items that might of been neglected likke fluid changes.

Also "Ram Certified" means nothing. You misunderstand what certified pre-owned is.
If the vehicle is under a certain numbers of years\millage, and is obtained and sold from a branded dealership (anotehr Ram dealership). It can\will be marked as certified pre-owned which has a warranty, and the price increases $2-$5k.

Buying a certified pre-owned vs "used" just mean's its more expensive and has a used warranty somewhere between a regular and powertrain warranty.
Wrong, I purchased my ram certified and came with a 7 year or 125k bumper to bumper warranty and they go thru certain inspections. Peace of mind for me

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Was unsure about buying a Chrysler/Dodge/Ram vehicle in the first place (overall reliability rankings/service issues) but simply liked and bought a used 2019 Ram 1500 Limited crew cab (22,500 miles) for comfort, appearance and other reasons we need a truck.

Seems my fears now coming true as major issues cropped up. At 71k miles, had to have Electric Power Steering Rack and Pinion replaced ($$$) which could have been a major safety issue as power steering just locked up.

Now at 77k miles and only 2 months later, electronic stability control and engine light on. High revs, engine straining to go 35mph. Then electronics goes crazy and now truck is dead, won’t start. Sorry but this “stuff @#$!%” should not be happening with a younger, relatively low miles “Ram Certified” truck (especially a truck at $75k new, $50k used) Also to mention, the radio screen froze on another occasion.

I baby this truck and keep it maintained by the book. Of course, trouble started just as it came out of the pre-certified warranty. So it’s just not the money that hurts, it’s my time and fear of service uncertainity. Once fixed (for now), I may just sell the thing.

Never had issues like this with my F150 and Tundra other then normal high mileage repairs.

Is it me or am I correct in thinking these issues should not be happening with a newer, one previous owner, low miles Ram truck? Based on other comments/blogs, it’s not just me. I also wonder about the trustworthyness of the Ram “Pre-Certification” program.

Lemon?

Any help from Ram/FCA on this?
Hey there!

We're glad we saw this! In the future, the best way to get ahold of us is through direct messaging or by tagging us. We're sorry to hear about the frustrations that you've had with your truck and we'd like to hear more about them. Would you mind sending us a direct message so that we can dig into this with you?

Callie
Ram Cares

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wrong, I purchased my ram certified and came with a 7 year or 125k bumper to bumper warranty and they go thru certain inspections. Peace of mind for me
Theres 0% it came with a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty.
You are either outright lying, or purchased an additional warranty on top of the vehicle.
It's also comical that you think a used vehicle goes through inspections that mean a damn.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are either outright lying, or purchased an additional warranty on top of the vehicle.
It's also comical that you think a used vehicle goes through inspections that mean a damn.
Have you seen a the inspection sheet for a CPO? I understand any inspection can be pencil whipped.

All CPO from Stellantis come with a 3 month 3,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 84 Month 100,000 Mile powertrain warranty.

Jorangel87

Reaction score
I’ll show you my mopar max care ID card that states I have that warranty and just used it about 2 months ago for the notorious manifold leak it had just payed $100 out of pocket for the deductible, and they have me a loaner at $0 cost.

Dave3d

Reaction score
Agreed but guess I’m comparing past experiences with my other used trucks/cars with even higher miles. Most of the miles are highway, not sure if that matters. LOL, if number 3 hits, I’ll post it and hope it’s a nail in tire (with my luck it’ll be in the sidewall).
keep us posted with what your mechanic says....was it a battery???? F ram, Im going with tacoma.....

raygun9

Reaction score
keep us posted with what your mechanic says....was it a battery???? F ram, Im going with tacoma.....
At least go with the tundra. The taco looks like a matchbox toy.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you seen a the inspection sheet for a CPO? I understand any inspection can be pencil whipped.

All CPO from Stellantis come with a 3 month 3,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 84 Month 100,000 Mile powertrain warranty.
This is just incorrect.
A CPO comes with a 3 month 3k mile warranty bumper to bumper as you stated.

The 84 month 100k miles is part of the ORIGNAL WARRANTY DATE.
If you purchase a CPO Ram that is 4 years old, you get a 3 year power train warranty up to 100k miles, not 100k miles from when you bought it.

1670631484015.png

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is just incorrect.
A CPO comes with a 3 month 3k mile warranty bumper to bumper as you stated.

The 84 month 100k miles is part of the ORIGNAL WARRANTY DATE.
If you purchase a CPO Ram that is 4 years old, you get a 3 year power train warranty up to 100k miles, not 100k miles from when you bought it.

View attachment 145610
And what part of what I said was incorrect? The original powertrain ends after 5 years 60,000 miles. So you could buy a 3 year old truck with 61,000 miles and get 4 years and 39,000 more miles of extended warranty coverage. It is an added extended warranty. Isn't any extended warranty purchased from Ram an add on from the in service date, not and addition to?

You have that service procedure for the battery in the radio yet? Or any logical information on that battery in the radio.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
And what part of what I said was incorrect? The original powertrain ends after 5 years 60,000 miles. So you could buy a 3 year old truck with 61,000 miles and get 4 years and 39,000 more miles of extended warranty coverage. It is an added extended warranty. Isn't any extended warranty purchased from Ram an add on from the in service date, not and addition to?

You have that service procedure for the battery in the radio yet? Or any logical information on that battery in the radio.
Then you are buying a CPO with a 4 year 39,000 mile warranty, not 100k. Just because it lasts until doesn't mean you get to drive it 100k if someone else already did majority of the driving.

When I purchase a warranty it's starts from when I aquire it. I would never purchase a warranty from the manufacture unless I just wanted to throw money away. Majority of these so called warranties are essentially insurance companies submitting claims and hoping to deny all the claims they can or just get lucky. I always buy some kind of a tire and rim warranty whenever I buy a used car and coverage starts when I buy it for a milage period and time period whichever comes first and it's not based on the existing mile, the milage on the vehicle when it is purchased is documented and that's when it starts not retroactively.

@JC

Reaction score
Then you are buying a CPO with a 4 year 39,000 mile warranty, not 100k. Just because it lasts until doesn't mean you get to drive it 100k if someone else already did majority of the driving.

When I purchase a warranty it's starts from when I aquire it. I would never purchase a warranty from the manufacture unless I just wanted to throw money away. Majority of these so called warranties are essentially insurance companies submitting claims and hoping to deny all the claims they can or just get lucky. I always buy some kind of a tire and rim warranty whenever I buy a used car and coverage starts when I buy it for a milage period and time period whichever comes first and it's not based on the existing mile, the milage on the vehicle when it is purchased is documented and that's when it starts not retroactively.

That's cute but no that's not how it works. When you purchase an extended warranty (technically a service contract) you are buying it for the total number of years and miles from the vehicle's in-service date not from the date and mileage at the time you purchase the contract.

It's funny how many FCA/STLA haters there are on these boards but despite some snarkery from certain commenters, MaxCare is the gold standard of extended warranties and no they do not try to deny coverage. It's already in the computer tied to your VIN at every dealership in the country and shows up in your online Mopar account. I've never had any issues with coverage from Mopar MaxCare and getting the loaner/rental paid for is an added bonus. I've also used it for the free FOB replacement/programming and again, no trouble.

Last edited:

JimLid

Reaction score
UPDATE: Long story short, needs a new battery. Truck was jumped started, ran for a bit so by time mechanic tested, it showed sufficient charge of 74% and he said he didn’t get any error codes. Died again a few days later, AAA tow mechanic tested state of health 30%. May have overreacted but didn’t know how wonky these new “computer” trucks act when it’s a battery issue. Chalk it up to “I don’t know, what I don’t know”. Thanks to all who assisted with your responses and now need thee BEST recommendation on an over the top battery for my Ram.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Long story short, needs a new battery. Truck was jumped started, ran for a bit so by time mechanic tested, it showed sufficient charge of 74% and he said he didn’t get any error codes. Died again a few days later, AAA tow mechanic tested state of health 30%. May have overreacted but didn’t know how wonky these new “computer” trucks act when it’s a battery issue. Chalk it up to “I don’t know, what I don’t know”. Thanks to all who assisted with your responses and now need thee BEST recommendation on an over the top battery for my Ram.
The best battery for your Ram is NOT an OEM battery.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Every make has a problems, thinking ford and Toyota doesn't is foolish, look at f150 and tundra forums.
My current ram limited has 50k miles on it and has been trouble free, my previous ram was a 2003 that I drove for 17 years and had 277k on it when I sold it. Only problem it ever had was a cracked radiator tank around 250k and a broken intake valve spring at 275K
This^^^

OP had good luck with previous vehicles from other brands. But go to Facebook groups, or message birds for any of those vehixlesz and you will read about horror stories involving lemons and service quality. Failing at low miles, denied warranties...... No manufacturer is above bad parts/service.

My wife's 2020 Traverse had the alternator fail on us in the middle of a family vacation 100 miles away from home with less than 20K miles on it. We were able to limp it to a small town Chevy dealer. Had family members who had used that dealer that warned us how horrible the service was there. We were treated awesome. They were able to troubleshoot it, find an alternator as a near by dealer, get the part, and got us back on the road in less than four hours. This was after initially telling us they were a tech short due to one guy calling out sick, and they may not even be able to get to the vehicle, let alone fix itz until the next day

Users who are viewing this thread