5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UPDATE: 2019 1500 Limited “Pre-owned Certified” not so good

JimLid

Reaction score
Was unsure about buying a Chrysler/Dodge/Ram vehicle in the first place (overall reliability rankings/service issues) but simply liked and bought a used 2019 Ram 1500 Limited crew cab (22,500 miles) for comfort, appearance and other reasons we need a truck.

Seems my fears now coming true as major issues cropped up. At 71k miles, had to have Electric Power Steering Rack and Pinion replaced ($$$) which could have been a major safety issue as power steering just locked up.

Now at 77k miles and only 2 months later, electronic stability control and engine light on. High revs, engine straining to go 35mph. Then electronics goes crazy and now truck is dead, won’t start. Sorry but this “stuff @#$!%” should not be happening with a younger, relatively low miles “Ram Certified” truck (especially a truck at $75k new, $50k used) Also to mention, the radio screen froze on another occasion.

I baby this truck and keep it maintained by the book. Of course, trouble started just as it came out of the pre-certified warranty. So it’s just not the money that hurts, it’s my time and fear of service uncertainity. Once fixed (for now), I may just sell the thing.

Never had issues like this with my F150 and Tundra other then normal high mileage repairs.

Is it me or am I correct in thinking these issues should not be happening with a newer, one previous owner, low miles Ram truck? Based on other comments/blogs, it’s not just me. I also wonder about the trustworthyness of the Ram “Pre-Certification” program.

Lemon?

Any help from Ram/FCA on this?

raygun9

Reaction score
What year, engine, model, etorque or no??

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

JimLid

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Limited, Hemi 5.7L, V8, e torque, 4wd. Currently has 77k miles.

raygun9

Reaction score
That sux... crurious if the PT warranty covers this next issue.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

JimLid

Reaction score
Yes to the sux and no to the PT. Didn't even cover the first issue with Steering Rack and Pinion.

Gets worse…truck is locked and now I can’t even open it with fob or anything else. Complete dead. Need to google/post how to unlock truck.

Actually loved this truck…

@JC

Reaction score
Was unsure about buying a Chrysler/Dodge/Ram vehicle in the first place (overall reliability rankings/service issues) but simply liked and bought a used 2019 Ram 1500 Limited crew cab (22,500 miles) for comfort, appearance and other reasons we need a truck.

Seems my fears now coming true as major issues cropped up. At 71k miles, had to have Electric Power Steering Rack and Pinion replaced ($$$) which could have been a major safety issue as power steering just locked up.

Now at 77k miles and only 2 months later, electronic stability control and engine light on. High revs, engine straining to go 35mph. Then electronics goes crazy and now truck is dead, won’t start. Sorry but this “stuff @#$!%” should not be happening with a younger, relatively low miles “Ram Certified” truck (especially a truck at $75k new, $50k used) Also to mention, the radio screen froze on another occasion.

I baby this truck and keep it maintained by the book. Of course, trouble started just as it came out of the pre-certified warranty. So it’s just not the money that hurts, it’s my time and fear of service uncertainity. Once fixed (for now), I may just sell the thing.

Never had issues like this with my F150 and Tundra other then normal high mileage repairs.

Is it me or am I correct in thinking these issues should not be happening with a newer, one previous owner, low miles Ram truck? Based on other comments/blogs, it’s not just me. I also wonder about the trustworthyness of the Ram “Pre-Certification” program.

Lemon?

No one to blame but yourself for not adding a Mopar MaxCare warranty.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Lemon?

Sounds like a bad battery. Replace it with an AGM H8 battery and your problems should go away. This is very common with the OEM batteries and not a big deal.

Last edited:

raygun9

Reaction score

I reached out to the two companies on the forum that offer this and they both said I can't get the MaxCare warranty with a certified pre-owned warranty.

JimLid

Reaction score

LOL, really? Are you that telemarketing guy stating your car’s warranty ran out…. “Nice, newer Ram truck, reliable will last a lifetime” but has at 2 major issues (maybe more, truck being diagnosed now) in a short time frame with moderate miles…shouldnt happen with any “quality” truck. I get it that things happen but just felt spending additional money on an additional warranty was a waste (but easy money for the dealer). I figured if there was a major issue ill pay for it figuring that would zero out the cost of a warranty. And that’s what I did on the first issue. Paid for the fix, figured that should do it for a long while but issues 2 and 3 hit within 2 months. Certainly didn’t happen when i bought my used Tundra and F150 which actually had higher miles when I bought those.

Yep, nobody to blame but myself for trusting a truck to not have major issues that’s less than 3 years old.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, really? Are you that telemarketing guy stating your car’s warranty ran out…. “Nice, newer Ram truck, reliable will last a lifetime” but has at 2 major issues (maybe more, truck being diagnosed now) in a short time frame with moderate miles…shouldnt happen with any “quality” truck. I get it that things happen but just felt spending additional money on an additional warranty was a waste (but easy money for the dealer). I figured if there was a major issue ill pay for it figuring that would zero out the cost of a warranty. And that’s what I did on the first issue. Paid for the fix, figured that should do it for a long while but issues 2 and 3 hit within 2 months. Certainly didn’t happen when i bought my used Tundra and F150 which actually had higher miles when I bought those.

Yep, nobody to blame but myself for trusting a truck to not have major issues that’s less than 3 years old.
77k miles is a lot for a 3 year old truck. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect it to be problem free at that mileage. And since bad things always happen in threes, you’ve got one more coming.
I second @Idahoktm - sounds like a battery issue. Tons of people report their trucks lighting up like a Christmas tree when the batteries start to go bad.

JimLid

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad battery. Replace it with an AGM H8 battery and your problems should go away. This is very common with the OEM batteries and not a big deal.
Thanks and looking into that. Actually have it at a local shop where the owner was a long time mechanic with a local Ram dealership and just opened up his own shop. Supporting local and trust him.

JimLid

Reaction score
77k miles is a lot for a 3 year old truck. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect it to be problem free at that mileage. And since bad things always happen in threes, you’ve got one more coming.
I second @Idahoktm - sounds like a battery issue. Tons of people report their trucks lighting up like a Christmas tree when the batteries start to go bad.
Agreed but guess I’m comparing past experiences with my other used trucks/cars with even higher miles. Most of the miles are highway, not sure if that matters. LOL, if number 3 hits, I’ll post it and hope it’s a nail in tire (with my luck it’ll be in the sidewall).

@JC

Reaction score
I reached out to the two companies on the forum that offer this and they both said I can't get the MaxCare warranty with a certified pre-owned warranty.

Incorrect, I bought a 8yr/125k/0 ded. from Zeigler for the CPO 2019 Cherokee TH 2.0t that was out of factory warranty but in the 3mo/3k CPO Mopar Warranty. Cost was the same as any other Mopar MaxCare for the same vehicle still in factory warranty. FCA does not "find reasons to deny", it's easily the best manufacturer backed extended service contract in the industry.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Incorrect, I bought a 8yr/125k/0 ded. from Zeigler for the CPO 2019 Cherokee TH 2.0t that was out of factory warranty but in the 3mo/3k CPO Mopar Warranty. Cost was the same as any other Mopar MaxCare for the same vehicle still in factory warranty. FCA does not "find reasons to deny", it's easily the best manufacturer backed extended service contract in the industry.
FCA most certainly does everything in their power to deny claims lol. To the point where I hardly even bother taking my truck in to them because they’ll try to deny anything. I’ve talked to a ton of other people with the same experience too sadly

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Incorrect, I bought a 8yr/125k/0 ded. from Zeigler for the CPO 2019 Cherokee TH 2.0t that was out of factory warranty but in the 3mo/3k CPO Mopar Warranty. Cost was the same as any other Mopar MaxCare for the same vehicle still in factory warranty.
I can't speak to the first thing you said, as I haven't had that buying experience with Ram. But with a GM truck and CPO warranty, I had the choice of going with the CPO warranty or an extended service contract.

FCA does not "find reasons to deny", it's easily the best manufacturer backed extended service contract in the industry.
It's not even close IMHO. I've had much more luck with Chevrolet extended contracts than with anything from Stellantis. I probably would have stuck with GM if they hadn't started making trucks I hate to look at and drive since about 2007.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FCA most certainly does everything in their power to deny claims lol. To the point where I hardly even bother taking my truck in to them because they’ll try to deny anything. I’ve talked to a ton of other people with the same experience too sadly

Maybe that's the dealer you're using, that hasn't been my past experience

Users who are viewing this thread