5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect remote app commands not working after a while

Blueline308

Reaction score
My 1 week old 2020 limited (I’ve been following this thread closely so knew what to look for ) had the same prob after 2 hrs + commands not working. Had update done on Friday. Works every time now ! Tested after 18 hrs off and worked like a charm.
I bought my 2020 on Nov 8, the day after the TSM came out. Tested it 4 times today and it worked every time.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
Finally following up on this.... My dealer said the TSB I supplied for my vehicle didn't apply, but they found one that did. I was skeptical, but was on a conference call for work when they completed the service and not in a position to discuss it.

I tried to access my truck later in the day from the Uconnect App, and it did not work.

This morning, I finally got around to messaging my dealer about the issue. After sending the message, I took a notion to try it again (after the truck had been sitting for 2 days). Low and behold, it reacted right away. It appears that it is fixed. In hindsight, my Sirius radio did not work on the way home from service either. Based on what I had read here, I assumed it would come back later, which it did. I assume this is why the app didn't work that day either.

Below is a shot of what was done from my service report.

IMG_9514.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MJP

hmorgan

Reaction score
I'll add my experience today on this issue. I have 8.4AN in my 2017 Durango Citadel and have been using Uconnect app almost daily for 6 months and in the last week noticed some things weren't working - Remote Start and Lock/Unlock. Could still receive Location via Send N Go and Vehicle Health reports.

Called Uconnect help tonight to troubleshoot. They had me remove app and reinstall on my Android phone. But no change in Uconnect function to truck. I did observe at this time that the Instrument cluster wasn't turning on for remote start (Step 4 listed in posts above) thus the system wasn't being awakened.

Based on the TSB listed above I decided to see if a Uconnect Radio software update was available for my vehicle. Which one was from Oct-19 my version was 18.43.01 and new version is 18.45.01. I downloaded from Uconnect and created the USB drive with this bootloader and let the system update (30mins with vehicle running in driveway).

After reboot and verifying new software version, I turned the truck off and used the Uconnect app remote start and held my breath. 20 seconds later the Instrument cluster lit up and 10 more seconds the truck started. Performed Uconnect app Cancel and the truck shutoff in 10 seconds.

Now I have no direct knowledge of the software update, but I think it's highly unlikely that 18.45.01 has a specific "bug fix" for this issue. Rather I believe the software has a problem that causes the truck to no longer monitor/answer the 1X/3G call line from web or uconnect app requests. Note: app is receiving vehicle health reports and location requests thus the call modem is working for those functions.

I believe you could just reload your existing software version and that would be enough to set things back to the starting point and it'll work until sometime in the future the software gets lost again.

My 2 cents

Last edited:

Blueline308

Reaction score
Based on the TSB listed above I decided to see if a Uconnect Radio software update was available for my vehicle. Which one was from Oct-19 my version was 18.43.01 and new version is 18.45.01. I downloaded from Uconnect and created the USB drive with this bootloader and let the system update (30mins with vehicle running in driveway).
How do you check your software version and where do you download updates for your UCONNECT ?

Thanks,
Jim

technowerks

Reaction score
Im a week out with the RFHUB fix and it's still working fine. I think they've really solved it.

Mattzlaff

Reaction score
I had the update done today, was supposed to get it done last week but an important personal event took precedence. took about 30 minutes to complete and Everything worked 2 hours later when I went to work tonight. I will do the real test it after the truck has sat outside for 12 hours.

fredrk123

Reaction score
For all of you that have the problem of remote commands not working after a period of time like I verified i had as well, here is some news!!

SXMG support it appears has fixed my issues, as of yesterday, it appears to work every time, from mopar.com and from my UConnect app.

Here is what i know, I called in on Wed from a land line after the period of time was enough I knew commands would not work.

They tried a couple and also got failure, I then explained my testing ( a couple times before they understood), they went to their next tier up department and was told to put in a ticket.

I was about to call back yesterday as I hadn't heard anything when i got an email from them with instructions that the next step was to "Clear Personal Data" via my touchscreen, needless to say I was very skeptical this would fix anything.

Here is the email directions (I do not know if they had anything set up on their end waiting for me to do this or if this is all it needed)

View attachment 9458

Now my experience varied slightly that when I tried to open the "Assist app on screen" it told me that "Connected services were not activated" and gave me an "Activate" button. So I hit the activate option, it asked for email address, first name and last name, so i entered the same ones I used when i set it up online the first time, it then said "Activating" or something similar and sat there for quite a long time, I couldn't sit there any more so i figured that was at point 6 in the email so I shut off the truck.

A hour or so later I opened the app, logged out and back in (just for good measure) and tried a remote lock request, it spun for quite awhile and then just went away, so received message, no failed request message, I thought great they broke it further.

Waited another hour and tried a remote start, and it worked!!

ever since then every command i send from app or Mopar site has been successful.

Also, yesterday after work the Assist app still said it was not enabled and i still had an "Activate Services" app also from the touchscreen even though the remote commands were working, i called in and they said it can take 48 hours for that to get synched and get updated s it says enabled on screen.

This morning I remote started in the garage after sitting all night, and immediately cancelled it, both went thru fine.

I just now did a "vehicle locate" from the app with truck in garage even, and it worked as well.

So maybe their was something that did not get enabled in the system the first time that makes the telematics stay active or something else but it appears to be fixed so far.

One other thing to note for me is I never set this up thru the touchscreen when it was new, only did it via the email i was sent after purchase. So maybe that has something to do with it as well.

I will report back if it stops working again.

TT
I will try this because remote commands don't work at all with starting my vehicle. I love this truck and willing to put up with things but FCA needs to get their head out of the dirt and handle this multitude of truck issue which are software issues

hmorgan

Reaction score
I'll add my experience today on this issue. I have 8.4AN in my 2017 Durango Citadel and have been using Uconnect app almost daily for 6 months and in the last week noticed some things weren't working - Remote Start and Lock/Unlock. Could still receive Location via Send N Go and Vehicle Health reports.

Called Uconnect help tonight to troubleshoot. They had me remove app and reinstall on my Android phone. But no change in Uconnect function to truck. I did observe at this time that the Instrument cluster wasn't turning on for remote start (Step 4 listed in posts above) thus the system wasn't being awakened.

After reboot and verifying new software version, I turned the truck off and used the Uconnect app remote start and held my breath. 20 seconds later the Instrument cluster lit up and 10 more seconds the truck started. Performed Uconnect app Cancel and the truck shutoff in 10 seconds.

Now I have no direct knowledge of the software update, but I think it's highly unlikely that 18.45.01 has a specific "bug fix" for this issue. Rather I believe the software has a problem that causes the truck to no longer monitor/answer the 1X/3G call line from web or uconnect app requests. Note: app is receiving vehicle health reports and location requests thus the call modem is working for those functions.

I believe you could just reload your existing software version and that would be enough to set things back to the starting point and it'll work until sometime in the future the software gets lost again.

My 2 cents

Another update on my saga with the UConnect Remote functions not working.

As posted above I loaded a new UConnect SW update on my truck and the remote functions returned. 4 days later the Remote Functions failed again (repeatedly) in the same manner as before.

So I reviewed TooTall's instructions from FCA and set about to try this solution. Before starting I took a picture of the 2 pages of System Information from the Settings menu to see what (if any thing changes).

I cleared Personal Data - which resets everything - phone pairing, SiriusXM favorites, ASSIST and the like. Following this it said to turn-off the vehicle and wait 45 minutes. So I stayed in the truck and watched for the Instrument Cluster to light up. In 5 minutes after the truck was turned off the Instrument Cluster (only) lit up and stayed on for about 7-10 mins. I was careful not to touch anything to interrupt the sequence. Clearly the system was getting something from FCA's servers thru the cell modem in the truck.

I waited 5 mins after the Instrument Cluster went dark (to ensure no new activity) and started the Truck. The radio/screen came up in the pristine reset state with minimal apps (7 exactly). I attempted to access ASSIST in the way that TooTall stated in his post but I didn't get an Activate button. Instead I got a Start|Not Now|Cancel (I think it said). I selected Start - but this just took me to a Call screen for Help functions (I didn't want to call Help) so I cancelled this.

I saw there was a Register app,, so I selected this and it generated an Error screen and said that Assist was running. I fooled around for 5 mins trying different selections with no results and then noticed the Register app disappeared from the list (now 6 Apps remaining). So I decided to just turn the truck off at let it sit awhile - but remained in the driver's seat. Sure enough 5 mins later the Instrument Cluster turned on again and stayed on about 3 mins and then shutoff. So again it looks like FCAs servers loaded something.

This time I just decided to try a Remote Start request before turning the truck on again. Sure enough 30 seconds later - the truck started. Now all Remote Control functions are operating again - Remote Start, Lock/Unlock, SendNGo and Vehicle Report.

I looked at my screen shots from the first UConnect SW load, the Personal Data Clear and the last Instrument Cluster changes. The only thing that changed on these screens was the Request Code after the 1st Instrument Cluster Wakeup.

So I'll see now (like TooTall) if this trick will make things "stick" - obviously FCA has a software issue and I don't believe Radio installs are the solution.

Will keep you posted and hopefully TooTall let's us know if his situation "sticks" as well.

BTW - I also reinserted the USB Thumbdrive to see if the system would allow me to reinstall the last UConnect SW update. Sure enough after checking the drive validated I had the same SW version and asked if I wanted to reinstall. I said No. But this is another 30 minute process that could be used to reset the system (for some amount of time). Frustrating at best.

Ha Ha - my bad I didn't notice TooTalls original post was from Dec 2018. I looked at the other posts and can at least relate to the temp issues. I got my truck as a Certified preowned with 16000mi. It's still in 3 yrs 36000mi full warranty so I want this solved before it goes out (know this seems like wishful thinking after seeing other threads). Anyway I took posession in April19 and this has been working until Nov 19 when temps in our area began entering sub 40s. That's when things started to go downhill. So maybe hardware is causing an issue after all. Unfortunately seems like FCA is content to do numerous customer concerns and random part changes until warranty period expires.

Last edited:

mfmccoy

Reaction score
About 10 days ago my Uconnect remote app (3.4.2) stopped working. I was, and still, am, under the firm belief that the app had something to do with the remote app services not working. So I did the first thing and contacted tech support and quickly found out that their first-tier support is absolutely useless. They have no knowledge of how to troubleshoot any type of issue. That said, I persisted and finally got a hold of someone that eventually put a ticket in to have it reviewed by a higher-level tech support person. They got back to me the next day telling me that I need to clear my personal data and told me to follow these steps:

This email is in response to your recent report of an issue with your vehicle. We have determined the next step to resolve the issue is to perform a Clear Personal Data on the vehicle’s touchscreen. Make sure your vehicle is parked where it has direct access to the sky (not inside a parking structure or garage), turn on the ignition and follow the steps below using your vehicle’s touchscreen:
  1. From the “Settings” menu, select "Clear Personal Data".
  2. Select "Yes" when you see the pop-up.
  3. Wait for a pop-up that says "Personal data has been cleared," then press OK. This could take up to 10 minutes.
  4. Keep vehicle running for another 15 minutes.
  5. Open the “Assist” app from the touchscreen and confirm that the app is accessible. If the app is not accessible, keep vehicle running another 5 minutes and try again.
  6. Turn the vehicle off and wait at least 45 minutes for process to complete.
So, I did that and lost all my data and my vehicle stated that my account was now inactive. I made several attempts to enter my email and name, but that did nothing. So, back on the phone with tech support I went. Three or four calls all led to the same result and each one of them telling me that I needed to bring my truck to the dealer. I was able to achieve better support with advisors attempting with one of them actually doing the most by canceling my account and reinstating with the hopes that would clear up my troubles...it did not. I was ready to finally take it into the dealer but right before I did I went for it. I called tech support one last time and told them that I had taken it to the dealer and stated that they quickly rejected me as it was not a hardware issue, it was a Uconnect issue. This is when they reacted and put in another ticket. Two days later, I receive another email from tech support stating:

There was an update to your equipment today, in order for us to force activate, this procedure needs to be completed again.
I do apologize for the inconvenience. Please complete again (Clear Personal Data), then after the wait time, please test the SOS button in your vehicle. Allow it to connect to an agent and confirm they see your vehicle information and location. If that is successful, turn off vehicle, step out with the keyfob, and lock it up with the keyfob. Then try the remote services again, starting with remote door unlock, then lock, then start. If any of these steps fail, please let me know.

So, I did that and let the truck run for 25 min and pressed the "Assist" button and it said the same thing, "Service not activated...server error". So I waited a little longer but this time went right to the app and low and behold...it worked! It was sporadic at first, but then over time all features including lock, unlock, remote start and car finder all worked. The only problem I was left with the assist button and SOS button were not working. Knowing the vehicle, I left it sit for the day and then after a full 10 hours I tried the buttons again and they both worked! Chatted with the operator and she was able to locate my truck. The system is now fully functioning and I didn't have to go the dealership like they kept telling me to do.

I hope this helps someone. If your services were working fine like mine and then all of sudden stopped it is a Uconnect issue not a hardware issue...at least it was for me.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
About 10 days ago my Uconnect remote app (3.4.2) stopped working. I was, and still, am, under the firm belief that the app had something to do with the remote app services not working. So I did the first thing and contacted tech support and quickly found out that their first-tier support is absolutely useless. They have no knowledge of how to troubleshoot any type of issue. That said, I persisted and finally got a hold of someone that eventually put a ticket in to have it reviewed by a higher-level tech support person. They got back to me the next day telling me that I need to clear my personal data and told me to follow these steps:

This email is in response to your recent report of an issue with your vehicle. We have determined the next step to resolve the issue is to perform a Clear Personal Data on the vehicle’s touchscreen. Make sure your vehicle is parked where it has direct access to the sky (not inside a parking structure or garage), turn on the ignition and follow the steps below using your vehicle’s touchscreen:
  1. From the “Settings” menu, select "Clear Personal Data".
  2. Select "Yes" when you see the pop-up.
  3. Wait for a pop-up that says "Personal data has been cleared," then press OK. This could take up to 10 minutes.
  4. Keep vehicle running for another 15 minutes.
  5. Open the “Assist” app from the touchscreen and confirm that the app is accessible. If the app is not accessible, keep vehicle running another 5 minutes and try again.
  6. Turn the vehicle off and wait at least 45 minutes for process to complete.
So, I did that and lost all my data and my vehicle stated that my account was now inactive. I made several attempts to enter my email and name, but that did nothing. So, back on the phone with tech support I went. Three or four calls all led to the same result and each one of them telling me that I needed to bring my truck to the dealer. I was able to achieve better support with advisors attempting with one of them actually doing the most by canceling my account and reinstating with the hopes that would clear up my troubles...it did not. I was ready to finally take it into the dealer but right before I did I went for it. I called tech support one last time and told them that I had taken it to the dealer and stated that they quickly rejected me as it was not a hardware issue, it was a Uconnect issue. This is when they reacted and put in another ticket. Two days later, I receive another email from tech support stating:

There was an update to your equipment today, in order for us to force activate, this procedure needs to be completed again.
I do apologize for the inconvenience. Please complete again (Clear Personal Data), then after the wait time, please test the SOS button in your vehicle. Allow it to connect to an agent and confirm they see your vehicle information and location. If that is successful, turn off vehicle, step out with the keyfob, and lock it up with the keyfob. Then try the remote services again, starting with remote door unlock, then lock, then start. If any of these steps fail, please let me know.

So, I did that and let the truck run for 25 min and pressed the "Assist" button and it said the same thing, "Service not activated...server error". So I waited a little longer but this time went right to the app and low and behold...it worked! It was sporadic at first, but then over time all features including lock, unlock, remote start and car finder all worked. The only problem I was left with the assist button and SOS button were not working. Knowing the vehicle, I left it sit for the day and then after a full 10 hours I tried the buttons again and they both worked! Chatted with the operator and she was able to locate my truck. The system is now fully functioning and I didn't have to go the dealership like they kept telling me to do.

I hope this helps someone. If your services were working fine like mine and then all of sudden stopped it is a Uconnect issue not a hardware issue...at least it was for me.
It’s not hardware and I am living proof. It’s all software and can be fixed without swapping the head unit. Don’t fall for the hardware excuse.

RTRAMNV

Reaction score
I just verified I have this problem.

I tried the app after being at work for 8 hours, it failed.

Tried Mopar site, it failed.

Walked over to window, used fob to start truck, let it run for a minute, then used fob to shut it off.

Walked back to desk, used app to issue "remote start" it went thru fine.

I think others should do this same test and see if it is a verifiable pattern.

TT
Same issue.

tpg

Reaction score
Same issue, on my 2019 RAM Sport. I'll get about 5% working rate trying to start the truck.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
So, I've read the issues about the truck not waking up to accept app commands (lock, remote start, etc) after a period of sitting. I have what may be similar or not. I have security cameras in my garages and last night I was trying the App commands. Truck had been sitting for more than 8 hours. I sent a lock command and I could see on the cameras that the dash lit up within seconds, but the locks never actuated. Once that command timed out, the next attempt worked in less than 10 seconds. It appears the truck is seeing something from the app or servers that process these commands, but doesn't act on them until it's "woken up".

Those of you that have had this issue, did anyone note similar behavior prior to having the RFHUB flashed? Trying to work out if my truck is exhibiting the same behavior or something different.

Thanks

Pressgrove

Reaction score
I have seen similar. Sometimes I have to send the command twice to get it to work. Also, the confirmation signal seems a bit flaky. In the end, I always get it to work.

It hasn't been fixed for long, and I don't use it a lot, so I haven't had time to flush out what conditions coincide with these issues.

Poohbear1844

Reaction score
I have a 2019 w/ the 12.1" screen. From what I read on here there is an issue where 12.1 screens don't get the info tab and vehicle health report.

I seem to be having another issue with the remote start and door lock/unlock.
Basically it doesn't work after the truck sits parked for more than a couple hours. So anytime I really want to use it like after work, the commands always fail. But if I use it within an hour or so after driving the truck it does seem to work fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Wondering if this is a general problem or another issue with the 12.1 screens.
My remote app will not work at all. None of the features will connect to my Ram. I am also unable to get the location of the vehicle from the app. Mine was working great until last weekend.

BlackSophie

Reaction score
Update....
please read previous posts for more context.
I bought my Ram 1500 (8.4 inch screen) in December of 2018. I have the same issues concerning remote functions via Uconnect app that most of you are describing. In July I spent a couple of hours at the dealer proving the circumstances that we all know to be true. At that time, I even had some FCA engineers look at the problem. Their conclusion was that I either needed to wait for the upcoming software update or remove and replace the radio and brains of the system. I opted to wait for the update which was supposed to be released in September. I called back in September, only to discover that the service rep with whom I was working was no longer with the dealership. Soooo, I had to recount the story from the beginning. Fortunately, there were notes in my service history. But found out that the software update was for the 12 inch screen. The software for my 8.4 inch screen would not be out until December. None of this sounds correct to me. Why would there be a separate software program foe each of the different screens? Frustrated beyond belief, I unloaded on the dealership manager. Demanded he either reimburse me in cash for all things that work on uconnect services or fix the problem. He seems to be genuinely interested in solving the issue. As of 7 December, he confirmed that software update is still in the works but no estimate on roll out. This doesn’t help me because my free SXM expires on the 17th of December 2019. So I’ve now gone a whole year with no satisfaction. Here is something that is encouraging. I CONVINCED THE DEALERSHIP TO BUY ME AN ADDITIONAL YEAR OF SXM!! That way when the update comes out, I will actually be able to test the theory that the update is the problem. To be honest, we talked about so many different software updates over the last year that I’m not sure exactly what this expected update covers or who is responsible for it ( FCA or SXM). It‘s frustrating that everyone I’ve talked to at SXM and Ram seem to think that this is an isolated issue. I’ve challenged them to read the posts on this site.

GKBennett

Reaction score
I had my 2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn built in September and I picked it up October 17. I did not know about the Uconnect app until I read about it in these forums so I installed it and tried it out. As with most everyone else, it works for a while after turn off then does not work until next startup. It never worked after sitting more than an hour or so. I could stand outside the truck and hit unlock, lock, engine start, etc and the dash would light up in less than 10 seconds but nothing else would happen. So after reading on here about a couple updates that might get it working, I went to the dealer a couple weeks ago and asked for an update for my Uconnect. They could only find the RRT 19-094 update available and I said that might work as others had had some success after updating their system with this one. It did not work at first for a couple days, then about another day or so I was able to start my Ram up after sitting for several hours with the Uconnect app on my Android Galaxy Note 8. It has been working ever since. About four days ago (6-Dec-2020) I got an email from Uconnect Access Mopar Vehicle Protection that said:
At FCA US LLC, customer satisfaction and product excellence are our priorities. Your vehicle requires a Uconnect software update. The update is required to ensure that the Uconnect app remote functions continue to work properly for your connected vehicle. If the update is not completed, it may result in a temporary loss of remote functions.​
Please contact your preferred RAM dealership and schedule an appointment. When scheduling the appointment please reference the Uconnect® software update (RRT 19-094). If you have any questions, contact Uconnect Customer Care at 1-877-855-8400.​
So apparently they have finally got the update out and working. If your Uconnect app still isn't working and you haven't updated, go to your dealer and ask to get it done. It may take a few days but it should get things working for you.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Update....
please read previous posts for more context.
I bought my Ram 1500 (8.4 inch screen) in December of 2018. I have the same issues concerning remote functions via Uconnect app that most of you are describing. In July I spent a couple of hours at the dealer proving the circumstances that we all know to be true. At that time, I even had some FCA engineers look at the problem. Their conclusion was that I either needed to wait for the upcoming software update or remove and replace the radio and brains of the system. I opted to wait for the update which was supposed to be released in September. I called back in September, only to discover that the service rep with whom I was working was no longer with the dealership. Soooo, I had to recount the story from the beginning. Fortunately, there were notes in my service history. But found out that the software update was for the 12 inch screen. The software for my 8.4 inch screen would not be out until December. None of this sounds correct to me. Why would there be a separate software program foe each of the different screens? Frustrated beyond belief, I unloaded on the dealership manager. Demanded he either reimburse me in cash for all things that work on uconnect services or fix the problem. He seems to be genuinely interested in solving the issue. As of 7 December, he confirmed that software update is still in the works but no estimate on roll out. This doesn’t help me because my free SXM expires on the 17th of December 2019. So I’ve now gone a whole year with no satisfaction. Here is something that is encouraging. I CONVINCED THE DEALERSHIP TO BUY ME AN ADDITIONAL YEAR OF SXM!! That way when the update comes out, I will actually be able to test the theory that the update is the problem. To be honest, we talked about so many different software updates over the last year that I’m not sure exactly what this expected update covers or who is responsible for it ( FCA or SXM). It‘s frustrating that everyone I’ve talked to at SXM and Ram seem to think that this is an isolated issue. I’ve challenged them to read the posts on this site.
This sucks, but honestly, the dealer bought you off for a couple hundred dollars. If you're happy with that, that's OK. I'd be pretty upset about it especially after a year of no satisfaction.

Users who are viewing this thread