5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect remote app commands not working after a while

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Follow up to my previous post.
I was previously directed by Sirius to take the truck back to the dealer for a STARR case (I don't know what that stands for). I just returned from that service appointment. After 2.5 hours of waiting, the service rep reported that it's likely that the GATEWAY module is timing out and acting like a firewall to deny the Uconnect signal. Apparently Uconnect remote signals are being sensed by the truck system, but permission to carry out the instruction is denied by this GATEWAY module. Thus they ordered a new SGW module. Once received and installed I will report back.
Do you know where this module is located? Does it that they pull the radio?

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Follow up to my previous post.
I was previously directed by Sirius to take the truck back to the dealer for a STARR case (I don't know what that stands for). I just returned from that service appointment. After 2.5 hours of waiting, the service rep reported that it's likely that the GATEWAY module is timing out and acting like a firewall to deny the Uconnect signal. Apparently Uconnect remote signals are being sensed by the truck system, but permission to carry out the instruction is denied by this GATEWAY module. Thus they ordered a new SGW module. Once received and installed I will report back.
This makes sense. The new rams have an encrypted gateway module.

BlackSophie

Reaction score
That is a great schematic. May I ask what is the source. There are some other things I would like to look up.

Laramiepete

Reaction score
We need to try an experiment, stand outside your truck and try the app to remote start. Look in the window and watch to see if the instrument panel lights up with the push to start screen. If this happens I think it means the truck has received the signal . If it fails to start which we know it will, then something is blocking the signal on the bus. It makes sense that it would be the stupid security gateway FCA has started using in 2018. If it was warm here I would be up under that dash to see if I could unplug it and try that, but it is still to cold out.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We need to try an experiment, stand outside your truck and try the app to remote start. Look in the window and watch to see if the instrument panel lights up with the push to start screen. If this happens I think it means the truck has received the signal . If it fails to start which we know it will, then something is blocking the signal on the bus. It makes sense that it would be the stupid security gateway FCA has started using in 2018. If it was warm here I would be up under that dash to see if I could unplug it and try that, but it is still to cold out.
I'll give it a try later today and report back.

Laramiepete

Reaction score
I tried it during my lunch hour, it didn't light up and it didn't work. I tried it again and while it was cycling I touched the door handle, the dash lit up and about 10 seconds later it started up.

BlackSophie

Reaction score
I will also give this a try. The rationale makes sense. I'll let you know what happens.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried it during my lunch hour, it didn't light up and it didn't work. I tried it again and while it was cycling I touched the door handle, the dash lit up and about 10 seconds later it started up.
I just tried it from the Mopar site. No lights on dash and no response from the truck. What's the diagnosis?

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think someone hit a good point with the gateway module being the cause. It is encrypted on 2018s. Could be some type of situation its not waking up with the command. Reason it works soon after is its not fully asleep.

Capt Joe

Reaction score
Have you tried using the SiriusXM Guardian app... And not the blue Uconnect app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190227-083023_Samsung Experience Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20190227-083023_Samsung Experience Home.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20190302-174700_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190302-174700_Gallery.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 14

macallien

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there as a wild guess. Do both apps use the same underlying platform to communicate with the truck. If not, maybe it is detecting one or the other as a threat since calls are coming from distinct servers/ip/etc. I have the same problem with remote start and also with vehicle locator.

So these services use Cell reception for communication rather than Satellite?

TrackDay

Reaction score
My successful time frame is also about 4 hours after key off. Just a few weeks ago it was less than 2 hours. Still not sure what caused the change.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you tried using the SiriusXM Guardian app... And not the blue Uconnect app
This issue which I have experienced since owning the truck has nothing to do with which app you use. It is clearly an issue with something in the truck.
My successful time frame is also about 4 hours after key off. Just a few weeks ago it was less than 2 hours. Still not sure what caused the change.
This issue has nothing to do with which app you use. Its all about an issue with something in the truck going to sleep.

TrackDay

Reaction score
This issue has nothing to do with which app you use. Its all about an issue with something in the truck going to sleep.
Of course. Not sure why you typed this to me.

Laramiepete

Reaction score
I sure hope the security gateway is the problem. If not we are back to square one. As far as FCA is concerned, it is not a safety issue therefore not high on their to-do list. They got our money and won't have to worry about losing a customer for another 5 to 7 year when we are ready to buy again.

TooTall

Reaction score
TooTall, You have had the most comprehensive description of the problem, which is why I am responding to your post. I have a 2019 GC, which has the same radio as a RAM and behaves exactly as you have described(Uconnect unresponsive after vehicle goes into "deep" hibernation). It has been at the dealer since 12-Feb-2019 where they have been able to replicate the problem over and over and confirmed what is NOT the cause, but have not been able to ID a root cause and corrective action.
It is NOT attributed to the following:
- Android or iPHONE (Multiple phones were used during troubleshooting and all produced Uconnect failures)
- Extremely cold temperatures (In Illinois over the past weeks temps reached -15F. Uconnect fails cold and in the dealers heated service bay)
- Firmware of a particular cell phone (See item 1 above)
- Mopar.com user interface
- Uconnect app (Assuming you are using Blue background with white U)
- Cell phone coverage (As stated above Mopar.com and Uconnect app both fail in a 4 bar LTE locations)

What dealer has confirmed is failure can reliably be produced after vehicle sits greater than 4 hours.

Dealer initiated a STAR case claiming engineering does not have a solution and engineers directed the dealer to contact Sirius Guardian. I was present when the dealer contacted Sirius Guradian who performed superficial diagnostics and passed the service manager off to another entity at Sirius Guardian who said they will open a ticket, which means nothing at this point.

What I know:
- Radio supplier is Panasonic. Prior to 2018(possibly 2017), supplier was Harmon Kardon. I have a HK in my 2015 Ram and Uconnect reliably starts/stops/locks/unlocks/locates every time without fail.
- SW UI app changed for model year 2018(possibly 2017) requiring the use of blue Uconnect app. I use the black Uconnect app for my 2015. I no of no correlation between the unresponsiveness of Uconnect and the app.

Next action:
- Dealer has ordered new radio, which is not actually new, but refurbished. Dealer states that this is a last resort because they have seen the refurbished radios exhibit other problems, which could be worse than not being able to start the car remotely. Unfortunately, because the dealer stated that they will replace the radio in an attempt to fix the problem, FCA has stated they are closing the STAR case. What this means is the investigation into the problem has been closed and considered resolved. If the radio does not fix the problem, the cycle starts all over. I will update the post when I have a new radio, but I have read that other people with the problem who got new radios still have an unresponsive Uconnect.

***FCA, I know you monitor these forums and you are very savvy at piecing together the facts I have presented here and most likely can narrow down who I am. What I and all the people in this forum want is for FCA to take responsibility for a problem you know is systemic and get your supplier Panasonic and Uconnect to fix it. You have the voice to make them own up and do the right thing. This may not be a safety issue that forces FCA to take action, but it is an inconvenience for something we paid for and expect to work.

Well, I have the Harmon Kardon system in my truck, is that made by panasonic? With just HK speakers? If not then I would be surprised if a new radio fixes it. As i doubt two manufacturers would have same problem.

The SGW would make sense if it can go to sleep, does the sgw handle keyfob requests also? As those work fine for me all the time.

Mine failed today exactly 93 minutes after shutting truck off, so
I know mine is generally about 1 hr is the cutoff.

I know mine acts simlar as someone else mentioned, in that if it fails, All I need to do is grab the door handle or remote start with fob, then it will work again right away.

Hopefully somone can figure this out.

TT

Users who are viewing this thread