5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 is much better but…

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yikes, you mean to say .5 wasn’t the first and there was a .4? I can’t imagine the level of bugginess! Here’s to hoping you are right and they’re quick
Before.6 was S21B.5, and before that was S21.8, and so on. There have been multiple updates already before they even started delivering the HD Rams (same software).

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
do you know if a dealer can force it? When I will pick up my vehicle, maybe next month. And I see that the version is on 5. Can I ask to upgrade it to 6 before I sign?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
do you know if a dealer can force it? When I will pick up my vehicle, maybe next month. And I see that the version is on 5. Can I ask to upgrade it to 6 before I sign?
You can’t force an OTA update, but if it hasn’t updated on it’s own yet, there is a TSB for them to reference, and they can put it on a USB to update that way.

MrMcGibblets

Reaction score
Mine seems to be attempting an update but gives an error code -4. I tried looking it up but of course there is no information out yet regarding this. I found using wired carplay settled most of my issues. I’ll keep using that for now until more trucks are out in the wild.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Mine keeps saying there's an issue with my phone or android car play, even when plugged in. So I have to unplugged the phone. Turn off my Bluetooth and turn it back on a few times in the 5 days I've had the truck.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Went by the dealer today. They forced the update to 6. Satellite radio now appears, system is more responsive and less lag. Still some, but less.
They also checked my heated steering wheel, says it works fine, no errors. 30°c. Doesn't feel that hot but, it works.

Reaction score
You can’t force an OTA update, but if it hasn’t updated on it’s own yet, there is a TSB for them to reference, and they can put it on a USB to update that way.
\de=lurk
Welp... I have a 22 and the update did not come over the air. In fact SiriusXM pushed me to goto the dealer. The dealer attempted the .5 to .6 update and failed. They opened a case, and they were told to wait for an update to the update. They were also told it might just show up on the truck. Lastly they were told they would not be alerted to when the update's update would be avail and that they would not notify me or have any method to do so. SO... I guess I wait a bit maybe till mid jan? And start to raise hell? I would think the failure of the screen (goes dark occasionally and requires a full power cycle to come back) would put it in the NHTSA hit list as the mandated backup cam is non functional.
WL
/re-lurk

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
\de=lurk
Welp... I have a 22 and the update did not come over the air. In fact SiriusXM pushed me to goto the dealer. The dealer attempted the .5 to .6 update and failed. They opened a case, and they were told to wait for an update to the update. They were also told it might just show up on the truck. Lastly they were told they would not be alerted to when the update's update would be avail and that they would not notify me or have any method to do so. SO... I guess I wait a bit maybe till mid jan? And start to raise hell? I would think the failure of the screen (goes dark occasionally and requires a full power cycle to come back) would put it in the NHTSA hit list as the mandated backup cam is non functional.
WL
/re-lurk
Mine went all black the first night I drove it home but played the music channel it was shut down with. At the time I didn’t know about the soft reset by holding down the on/off radio button for 10-15 seconds. I was also pushed to go to the dealer for the update and by luck 2 days later it showed up as an OTA update when I pulled into my driveway.

The soft reset (I’ve had to do a couple times on a drive or 2) normally fixes most bugs/issues at the time. Not saying they won’t happen again because as we all know with bugs they will.

Johny777

Reaction score
I got the update about 2-3 weeks ago, and since then uconnect has really improved. At least my major issue was fixed which was apple carplay connection. Now it's pretty much flawless, always connects instantly I haven't had any problems with it so far. Also the system is less laggy and glitchy.

MrMcGibblets

Reaction score
I got the update about 2-3 weeks ago, and since then uconnect has really improved. At least my major issue was fixed which was apple carplay connection. Now it's pretty much flawless, always connects instantly I haven't had any problems with it so far. Also the system is less laggy and glitchy.
I wish mine would update, but went to the dealership to see if they could fix my “error code:-4” and they basically said they have to replace the head unit. Pretty awesome since the truck is less than a month old. /s

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
I have an Android phone. I have a USB with my favorite 500 songs (ha!) plugged in to USB Port 2. I have a short cable plugged in to USB 1 - I hook my phone to it when I want to use Android Auto for Navigation.

When using AA Navigation I have to disconnect my Bluetooth phone - cannot use AA and phone at same time. I think this is a limitation because of my low-level truck (Big Horn, not Laramie). But 8.4" screen shows AA Nav very well, I just can't use my phone.

If I want to disconnect AA, then my phone will work again.

Music still plays just fine (I like to use the shuffle feature, and I love the buttons on the back of the steering wheel to skip ahead a track if I don't feel like listening to what comes up, and to adjust volume for how I originally recorded the tunes).

Dave

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
this is strange. Cause they state that you can connect 2 phones at the same time. While you cannot even keep one phone connected to the Uconenct 5

But I would assume that when you connect with AA wireless or wired, that it would automatically also be able to make handsfree calls?

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I have an Android phone. I have a USB with my favorite 500 songs (ha!) plugged in to USB Port 2. I have a short cable plugged in to USB 1 - I hook my phone to it when I want to use Android Auto for Navigation.

When using AA Navigation I have to disconnect my Bluetooth phone - cannot use AA and phone at same time. I think this is a limitation because of my low-level truck (Big Horn, not Laramie). But 8.4" screen shows AA Nav very well, I just can't use my phone.

If I want to disconnect AA, then my phone will work again.

Music still plays just fine (I like to use the shuffle feature, and I love the buttons on the back of the steering wheel to skip ahead a track if I don't feel like listening to what comes up, and to adjust volume for how I originally recorded the tunes).

Dave
What year model is your truck?

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
this is strange. Cause they state that you can connect 2 phones at the same time. While you cannot even keep one phone connected to the Uconenct 5

But I would assume that when you connect with AA wireless or wired, that it would automatically also be able to make handsfree calls?
My phone is a little old (I dropped it, so I may be getting a new one, it still works but hard to see with screen all cracked :cautious: ) so I do not have wireless charging, just Bluetooth,which I normally have hooked up to my truck (I paired it) and I can make handsfree calls.

I've not tried to hook up my wife's phone, so I don't know if I can have 2 phones handsfree.

When I plug in my phone to USB1 I get Android Auto but it disconnects Bluetooth and I cannot make handsfree calls. This is what it says in owners manual and in fact is how it works. My guess = I only have Bighorn, not Limited model.

Irritating but I'll live with it.

Dave

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Anyone with unconnect 5 try send & go yet? I tried for the first time today and the destination does not show up in Nav. The app says sent successfully. I think I’d use this quite a bit if it worked.

NCBACKCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Anyone with unconnect 5 try send & go yet? I tried for the first time today and the destination does not show up in Nav. The app says sent successfully. I think I’d use this quite a bit if it worked.
Send & go doesn't work on my 2022 (amongst other things that don't work)

Users who are viewing this thread