5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turbo lag / Throttle response

5GEcoD

Reaction score
I've had my 2020 Ecodiesel for about 6 months and overall I really love the truck. The styling, interior and ride are exceptional, however I absolutely can't stand the lack of throttle response from a standstill. Response is just fine from a rolling start or at highway speeds but it's really bad from a standstill, especially when the engine is cold. I actually think it's dangerous at times too. I have a pedal commander installed but it's just a bandaid and FAR from a cure. There is a ton of discussion about this issue with the gen 2 engine, however not a lot on gen 3. How many of you are having this issue? Any solutions / workarounds? Any news of a GDE 2020 tune? Looking forward to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Uga40

Reaction score
I don't have this issue. But, maybe I just drive different? There is a slight delay, but nothing major at all

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have an issue. What gearing do you have? June 2021 is what GDE is advertising.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I agree with OP - the lag is horrible on my 2020 EcoDiesel LH.

Pedal commander is not the solution I agree - and a tune will void warranty on $73K truck. I want to keep the engine clean, but living in northeast - the damn emissions (well they are federal) will choke this engine.

Dealer service guys make it literally sound like these trucks are "soo fragile, and ONLY do service at dealer for warranty etc" - I really get nervous that if I fart like a man in my truck it may break it LOL

God Damn - its a TRUCK. I dont plow or tow, do my maintenance before the recommended interval. Yet, I am already told that "its hard to get warranty serviced unless you have proof of all services" I did my fuel filter change myself and on 2020, it was such a breeze. I am not even mechanically inclined, just patience and time and it didnt even make a mess.

Would like to do my oil changes too, but never have done that on a truck (only cars/SUVs) - so dont know if getting to filter or loosening it will be tough. At least I get peace of mind the quality of oil I use, and for the savings, I can change oil more frequently. I bought the oil, enough for 4 oil changes when on clearance at local parts store - and its penzoil MS12991 per specs. Kept my purchase reciepts of the oil as proof.

I will do my part to take care of this truck - and want the Truck to return the favor and give me 200,000 worry free miles - I dont think thats asking too much of a diesel engine, which is supposedly "Built to Serve".

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. Was gonna try the pedal monster from banks. How’s the pedal commander? Does it even do anything for the lag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uga40

Reaction score
Can someone explain the lag? If I press the gas gently, it accelerates smoothly. If I punch it, there is a slight delay before my truck takes off. But it is not a significant delay

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can try doing a throttle pedal relearn, it seemed to make a difference on my truck.

Put the ignition to run with the engine off slowly press the throttle pedal all the way to the floor and back up. Turn truck off and then you can start it up.

There are times tho where I swear it takes 2-3 second for the truck to respond to throttle pedal inputs, but it’s so random that a dealer tech would never be able to replicate it in the time they are given.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can try doing a throttle pedal relearn, it seemed to make a difference on my truck.

Put the ignition to run with the engine off slowly press the throttle pedal all the way to the floor and back up. Turn truck off and then you can start it up.

There are times tho where I swear it takes 2-3 second for the truck to respond to throttle pedal inputs, but it’s so random that a dealer tech would never be able to replicate it in the time they are given.

Is this true and does it work?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this true and does it work?

This method of calibration has been around since the inception of the Ecodiesel and I assume is a pretty standard feature of many vehicles with with electronic throttle pedals. I've used it to regain what I perceived was a loss of "peppiness" and it seems to work.

The way I drive I don't usually experience any throttle lag, just ever so randomly so I cant comment on whether it helps there but my guess would be that if you're style is one that causes you to notice that lag a lot then this probably wont make it significantly better.

Jasond78

Reaction score
My bother and i both bought 2020 ED's this year. Love the trucks but they really lacked in the get up and go department. The throttle lag was really disappointing, especially in cooler weather. We invested in the banks pedal commanders and it made a big difference for daily driving. I'm soft on the pedal so I run mine on sport in the lower range, he has a lead foot and runs his on the next lower category though i can't recall the name, about half power in that setting. It's just about the way you drive and how you want the truck to respond. The banks unit does not really kick in until you get over 10 mph so you won't kill people in a parking lot.. At the ended of the day It's a fairly small diesel pushing A pretty big truck so i don't expect it to be a race car.
I will say that i had an issue posted in anther thread here, you can you read it but the dealer ultimately blamed the issue on the pedal monster. I've since unplugged it because i do not agree with them and when it happens again i want to show them the damn thing wasn't ever installed since. After having the pedal monster on for 3 months i miss it instantly and constantly lol. It's hard looking at it dangling there tempting me every time i fire her up!

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My bother and i both bought 2020 ED's this year. Love the trucks but they really lacked in the get up and go department. The throttle lag was really disappointing, especially in cooler weather. We invested in the banks pedal commanders and it made a big difference for daily driving. I'm soft on the pedal so I run mine on sport in the lower range, he has a lead foot and runs his on the next lower category though i can't recall the name, about half power in that setting. It's just about the way you drive and how you want the truck to respond. The banks unit does not really kick in until you get over 10 mph so you won't kill people in a parking lot.. At the ended of the day It's a fairly small diesel pushing A pretty big truck so i don't expect it to be a race car.
I will say that i had an issue posted in anther thread here, you can you read it but the dealer ultimately blamed the issue on the pedal monster. I've since unplugged it because i do not agree with them and when it happens again i want to show them the damn thing wasn't ever installed since. After having the pedal monster on for 3 months i miss it instantly and constantly lol. It's hard looking at it dangling there tempting me every time i fire her up!

Then why don’t you use it anymore?..

Jasond78

Reaction score
Then why don’t you use it anymore?..

Because of the issue i just had where i started the truck one morning and got all kinds of alarms going off. Traction control, trailer brakes, throttle control, all kinds of stuff. Went into limp mode and wouldn't go over 30mph. I pulled the battery cable to reset and it would come back shortly after every time.
Took it to the dealership and they diagnosed it as the pedal monster causing the issue. They said once they disconnected it, the codes all stayed clear.
I tried telling them that the same thing happened on this truck when i had the factory trailer brake controller installed on it back in September. They eventually replaced a transmission module..At the time i didn't even have the pedal monster... That's why I'm leaving it off for a bit.
I think the cause is that the mopar brake controller i had is faulty or was installed improperly. The night before it went haywire i had changed the trailer brake setting from light electric too heavy electric right before i turned the truck off. The very next time i started the truck after that adjustment is went things went to hell.
My brother has the same truck and pedal monster and he's never had any issues. The pedal monster basically doesn't do anything other than tell the engine that you're pushing the gas pedal harder than It would normally read it.
It isn't traceable and the only reason they knew it was there is because i didn't remove it. I know they're just grasping for straws as to why my truck is having these issues but that's why I'm leaving it unplugged for now.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can someone explain the lag? If I press the gas gently, it accelerates smoothly. If I punch it, there is a slight delay before my truck takes off. But it is not a significant delay

Basically, when you press the pedal it's a craps shoot. It may do nothing, then literally 2-3 seconds later it buries your head into the seat. Or, it may take off like it's running on 2 cylinders and build power over the next 5-10 seconds. Or, it may take off like a rocket ship. You never know. It's VERY non-linear and unpredictable and this ruins the driving experience. As the OP said, it's borderline dangerous.

He, however, is lucky if his only has this issue from a stand still. Mine does it from a stand still, from a rolling start, and while trying to pull out and pass somebody. I'm shocked that FCA even released these trucks to the general public like this.

When Diesel Power magazine wrote about it last fall when the Gen 3 EcoDiesel was just coming to market, I assumed FCA would fix it. Nope.

I had my PCM reflashed a few weeks ago and mine is slightly better now, but the problems do still exist. Sigh....

It's a shame to have to drop $1,200 on aftermarket tuning to fix the problems that shouldn't have been there to begin with. But that's the real answer here. Pedal Commander is a band-aid.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only time I experience the lag is when I coast down to about 30 or 40 then try to accelerate. It's intermittent and rare, other than that I have adjusted my driving style and enjoy my Ecodiesel very much.

When my warranty is up I'll do the GDE tune assuming it had good reviews (I'm sure it will)

macmedia

Reaction score
I have this frustrating lag too. At the end of my street which is on a slight incline, I need to accelerate from zero to 40 mph. The lag is less than a second BUT that second could mean the difference in getting in an accident or an inconvenience. I don't like to mash the pedal down. I ease into it and most of the time, it doesn't respond right away. I ditched my Lexus RX350 because of this. I love my Ram (which is my very first FCA product ever) but sooner or later it's going to drive me insane. I spent over 70 g's for my truck when I was planning for $40-$50 so spending another $300 for a pedal commander was a very difficult decision and I ended up instead buying something off Ebay called "Wind Booster" for $70 - a lot more palatable. In the beginning after setting to the most aggressive sport + setting, I was pleasantly rewarded with less of a throttle lag. Then I noticed that the performance changed over time and the lag started to come back (albeit a lot less than originally). After 2 months, I developed the loose sway bar link problem and brought it to the dealer to diagnose. I remembered at that point that having a "pedal commander" would void the warranty so I immediately yanked the thing out and put back the old connector. Low and behold my check engine light came on. I didn't know what to do and how to get rid of it before the service tech took the truck. They were perplexed about the problem and after 2 days of diagnosis, they told me that I had a pedal commander connected (how did they determine that????). and they would do me a 1 time favor to not cancel my warranty but I had to not reconnect the device. Dang. now I have no choice but to go back to the throttle lag. I hate these drive by wire systems so much!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only way they would know is if you bent a pin. they do not bend themselves.

joefriendly

Reaction score
I just ordered a 10th edition long horn, almost all the options including 392 rear end! Should get here in San Diego in March. I ordered my last eco diesel 2014 long horn with 355 rear end. My friend has 392 rear end and loves it! He says it gets up and goes quick. I have a 140,000 miles on 2014 ram eco diesel no problems. The EGR is a problem though. Ordered different color interior just to change. Shoot getting the same truck again and with the ramboxes awesome !!!

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
Pedal Commander worked like a champ for me. Sport is perfect for me. I was actually thinking the lag was somewhat of a safety concern at first, pedal commander fixed that immediately.
I have a pedal commander on mine set at sport -2 and it's just about perfect. Mine does not hesitate at all anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/