5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a dealer to consider for completing this work in the northern Illinois area? Ray Ram in Fox Lake is concerned about his techs messing up my nice (his word, it’s a Longhorn tan) dashboard. Kinda scary. Nope. SA says run the AC in recirc and I’ll be fine! Not fine. Considering asking Wickstrom in Barrington if they have a skilled “dash guy”. Also considering same for Liberty in Libertyville and Gurnee CJDR. Suggestions?

Mine is at Wickstrom in Barrington

BigHerm611

Reaction score
Finally got my truck fixed. Had the TSB performed, but the results were still not great. AC would only get to 55 degrees at the coldest, and that’s with me setting it up just right. Ended up having a problem with my compressor. It wasn’t building enough pressure to send Freon through the system. If any guys that had the TSB performed and the AC is still weak, it might be worth looking at.
I’m not sure of what temps the school is blowing, but I can say with the heat index being triple digits….I can leave the ac on auto at 70°, with the shade to the pano roof open, and the truck cools pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: c3k

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Test drove a RAM 2500 a couple days ago and it's A/C was pretty bad. Test drove a GMC 2500HD and the A/C was insane. Buddy of mine just bought a new GMC 1500 and his A/C is amazing as well. I realize the TSB "should" make things better, but if it doesn't get any better than what I experienced in the new RAM 2500, then RAM's A/C is simply sub par compared to the competition.

I'm in the market for a 2500 and I can tell you the RAM is no longer even in the running. Besides being dated and lacking features for the same price range....the A/C performance killed it for me. Even the sales guy with me commented on it. He kept turning the fan speed down to make it not so noisy but then kept having to turn it back up as we would heat up and swelter. I mentioned the issue and he agreed that there have been complaints.

He was clearly trying to cover it up and hide it / make it less noticeable, but there was no denying we were sweating our asses off. Test drive lasted about 20-25 minutes and it was never able to cool the cabin to a comfortable temp. Pretty bad for an eye watering $81k MSRP!

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Test drove a RAM 2500 a couple days ago and it's A/C was pretty bad. Test drove a GMC 2500HD and the A/C was insane. Buddy of mine just bought a new GMC 1500 and his A/C is amazing as well. I realize the TSB "should" make things better, but if it doesn't get any better than what I experienced in the new RAM 2500, then RAM's A/C is simply sub par compared to the competition.

I'm in the market for a 2500 and I can tell you the RAM is no longer even in the running. Besides being dated and lacking features for the same price range....the A/C performance killed it for me. Even the sales guy with me commented on it. He kept turning the fan speed down to make it not so noisy but then kept having to turn it back up as we would heat up and swelter. I mentioned the issue and he agreed that there have been complaints.

He was clearly trying to cover it up and hide it / make it less noticeable, but there was no denying we were sweating our asses off. Test drive lasted about 20-25 minutes and it was never able to cool the cabin to a comfortable temp. Pretty bad for an eye watering $81k MSRP!
We have a new 2021 GMC Yukon and the A/C is amazing! My Ram.....well yeah its not the best it does the job but I have to run a 6 or 7 to cool the truck. That being said, I knew the Ram's had poor A/C performance beforehand for me it was a gamble between ugly dated interior or so-so A/C.

From what I can see the A/C system is just not adequate for the truck, so even with the TSB, it just can't cope with high heat situations. We had some 110-115 degree temps recently and we just did not drive the Ram it sat in the garage for a good week:cautious:

BigHerm611

Reaction score
We have a new 2021 GMC Yukon and the A/C is amazing! My Ram.....well yeah its not the best it does the job but I have to run a 6 or 7 to cool the truck. That being said, I knew the Ram's had poor A/C performance beforehand for me it was a gamble between ugly dated interior or so-so A/C.

From what I can see the A/C system is just not adequate for the truck, so even with the TSB, it just can't cope with high heat situations. We had some 110-115 degree temps recently and we just did not drive the Ram it sat in the garage for a good week:cautious:

I’m starting to learn that as well. Now that it’s quit raining for the last months here, the temps have been coming with at least a 108 heat index. And the Ram ac won’t win any awards once the heat index gets that high. Going to ask the tint shop if they have any ceramic tint that blocks more heat soon as I can

jastevenson

Reaction score
I used a meat thermometer to measure the vents on a 2020 F150 and my 2021 Ram.

92 degree ambient temp and setting of “Max A/C” with recirculate on at idle after running for 15 min.

Very low humidity where I live.

Both vehicles in the sun with 35 percent tint all around except windshield.

At the left center vent:

Ram: 47 degrees
Ford: 41 degrees.

It doesn’t sound like a huge difference but subjectively the Ford felt much more refreshing to be inside.

We only get about 30 days per year where it’s over 90 so I can live with it, but I will say that if I lived in TX, FL, or AZ I am not sure I could recommend a Ram.

BigHerm611

Reaction score
Update…..after TSB and compressor….my ac is blowing in the high 50s-low 60s again

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m starting to learn that as well. Now that it’s quit raining for the last months here, the temps have been coming with at least a 108 heat index. And the Ram ac won’t win any awards once the heat index gets that high. Going to ask the tint shop if they have any ceramic tint that blocks more heat soon as I can

I have full ceramic tint and still can't get cooled down...feel bad for anyone having to deal with this without tint. Parts are in just have to call and get on the scheduled for the repair. Funny is we got in the truck last night and it was still on LO from earlier in the day. After driving a bit we turned the temp to 70 and I swear it smelled like the heat was coming on. Just all around bad AC experience so far.

PostPremium

Reaction score
At the left center vent:

It doesn’t sound like a huge difference but subjectively the Ford felt much more refreshing to be inside.
Adjust your home thermostat up or down 6 degrees and let me know if it makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Jumped in this afternoon in 95 degree heat. I have the AC hack and my valve is closed. Took 15 minutes of driving to get he left of center vent temps to 50. Won’t go lower. It’s going in for the TSB on aug 5th. Hope it helps because even with the valve closed, seems pretty $hitty

Synergy26

Reaction score
I had this done and the temps are cooler but I was really trying to get rid of a whistle or hiss I get when the recirculation in on or shut. It didn't help unfortunately

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I also have a defroster leak. It fogs up bad at night

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used a meat thermometer to measure the vents on a 2020 F150 and my 2021 Ram.

92 degree ambient temp and setting of “Max A/C” with recirculate on at idle after running for 15 min.

Very low humidity where I live.

Both vehicles in the sun with 35 percent tint all around except windshield.

At the left center vent:

We only get about 30 days per year where it’s over 90 so I can live with it, but I will say that if I lived in TX, FL, or AZ I am not sure I could recommend a Ram.
that is a HUGE difference IMO. I had a 2020 Warlock loaner for another reason not too long ago...it temped at 41 degrees and it was a HUGE difference. For the first time ever I had to turn the temp UP it was that cold. Set your home thermostat to 65...then 71...it matters. I live in NYS and it is hot enough long enough to have better AC. Just made my appointment for next Thursday will update when I get the results.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Happy to report that the AC is almost uncomfortably cold in the 100+ degrees we had a couple weeks ago. Also cools down much quicker than before the TSB was performed.
That’s good news. Maybe the TSB helps air flow too. Not sure why mine won’t get temps down even with the valve closed🤷🏻‍♂️

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today is day 9 of my truck at the dealer. They said part received was faulty and needed to re-order.

dixx639M

Reaction score
I posted my story a few days ago, but to recap, I have a 2021 BigHorn quad with dual zone climate dialed all the way down to LO. Truck was built in early Mar 2021. Coldest AC temp with thermometer was 50 and I was not satisfied, compared to ALL my other vehicles. Took it to dealer and they said it was just fine. I did the hack with the 3/4" PEX valve and can adjust the valve to 1/2 open and get colder 45 degree air, or fully close and get 40. At 40 it gets very comfortable and is comparable to what the competition vehicles do. I have driven several hundred miles with valve fully closed with NO harmful effects found. Engine temps remain normal, no hoses are bulging. nothing. The outside temps during this time were just over 90 to mid 90's. When it is less than 83 outside, I try not to even use the AC. So, in closing, the valve does work even after the dealer wont help. sad to have to use such a device on a $50K truck, which has been flawless in every regard, except the poor AC!

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that had it done. Did your outside temp sensor need time for re-calibration?

I tried to pickup up this evening, it’s 89-91 out but truck display showed only 79

Users who are viewing this thread