5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

Synergy26

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the difference is with the new one compaired to the old? Pics of differences?

Last edited:

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is what I temped my loaner 2021 warlock at... yellow... and then my truck when it was 77 degrees out

Attachments

• 20210708_200559.jpg
    20210708_200559.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210710_203109.jpg
    20210710_203109.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 62

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back with the truck and here are a few observations:

1. Is it a drastic difference? No, but it is noticeably better. I didn't have a thermometer with me but over the 45 min drive home in 97 degree weather, it blows colder. It's the first time I've ever had this truck have any "bite" blowing on my arm. Have I felt colder air? Heck yes. The crappy Dodge Caravan rental blows colder but if Ram had had this AC from the beginning this forum would have fewer threads (i.e. not an issue.)
  2. No one has mentioned the new car smell! The second I got in it was almost overpowering - all that new HVAC box plastic. Definitely one way to tell if your dealer has done the TSB or not.
  3. Another way to tell if the dealer actually did the work is to look at the condensate drain in the engine compartment. No way to fake that (unless they went to the trouble to clean it really good) as the only way to change that doodad is to remove the dash.
  4. Very happy with Autonation Spring as it took 3 days like they said and everything works like it did before with no apparent squeaks or rattles.
Overall, I'd say do it if you are on the fence. I went to a dealer another poster used (with no issues) so that I wasn't the guinea pig.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Has anyone tried just adding more freon to the system? Dad used to do this to his cars, and get it down to low 30's as verified from a thermometer!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

U

User_3336

Has anyone tried just adding more freon to the system? Dad used to do this to his cars, and get it down to low 30's as verified from a thermometer!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Y1234-yf isn't as readily available.........so not as easy as you are making it sound.

Markank

Reaction score
Hi there! Should you decide to address this with your dealer, please feel free to reach out to our team for additional support! We would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf to ensure that this is resolved for you.

Kathryn
Ram Cares
Kathryn,
Is there any repairs being done for the many people experiencing Defroster bleed- by no matter what setting the ducting is set to? I have brought this up 2 times to my dealership and they are telling me that is "NORMAL' and a "SAFETY FEATURE" I know that can't be true. I know several people with these trucks and some bleed by on drivers side only..some on both...and some don't. I had a 2016 Laramie Longhorn and this didn't happen. Here in S Florida it is often times very hot with 90-100% humidity and if the A/C is on my drivers side fogs upland I have to constantly use washers and wipers or turn heat yo max and put in defrost mode to warm windshield which is only a temporary fix. The dash is currently being replaced in the shop now so I asked them to examine the defroster duct door setting and adjustment and they say everything is fine. Also what happened that all Limiteds and Longhorns with the Leather stitched dashes falling apart? That's why it's in there now in the first place. It happened at 2 years old and I use full set of window shielding due to S FL heat and sun. My dealer said that's probably why it lasted this long that they all did it in 2019's and 2020's .
I'm really disappointed in the answer that it is made that way when I know better. Is there a TSB for this?
Thanks
Mark
[email protected]

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the same issue and I’ve added defroster bleed to my list for the dealer this week. I’ll let you guys know what they say.

sux running the wipers when the suns down and there’s no rain 😡

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back with the truck and here are a few observations:

1. Is it a drastic difference? No, but it is noticeably better. I didn't have a thermometer with me but over the 45 min drive home in 97 degree weather, it blows colder. It's the first time I've ever had this truck have any "bite" blowing on my arm. Have I felt colder air? Heck yes. The crappy Dodge Caravan rental blows colder but if Ram had had this AC from the beginning this forum would have fewer threads (i.e. not an issue.)
  2. No one has mentioned the new car smell! The second I got in it was almost overpowering - all that new HVAC box plastic. Definitely one way to tell if your dealer has done the TSB or not.
  3. Another way to tell if the dealer actually did the work is to look at the condensate drain in the engine compartment. No way to fake that (unless they went to the trouble to clean it really good) as the only way to change that doodad is to remove the dash.
  4. Very happy with Autonation Spring as it took 3 days like they said and everything works like it did before with no apparent squeaks or rattles.
Overall, I'd say do it if you are on the fence. I went to a dealer another poster used (with no issues) so that I wasn't the guinea pig.

Another observation.

I had installed the heater core bypass valve two years ago and it's awesome. Before that I had noticed that when stopped at a light, when my engine shutoff (ETorque) the vent temp quickly got warmer until it was uncomfortable and the engine would restart to cool again. Maybe 45 seconds. With the bypass valve closed, the truck would sit off at a light for up to 2.5 minutes with barely any warming of the air. That showed how much heater core bleed through there was in the original HVAC box.

Now that I've had the TSB done, it acts at lights (in 95 degree weather) like the bypass valve is closed when it's actually open. The truck shuts off at a light and blows cold/cool air for over two minutes and is very pleasant.

That, combined with the fact that my cheap Advance Auto bypass valve is now leaking is why I'm removing it. It's just not needed any more.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my trucks at the dealer for the TSB. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Awesome. I was at lunch two days ago and the truck sat in 95 degree sun for an hour. Got back in and had just pulled out of the parking lot when that "bite" of ice cold air hit my arm. I was shocked again as it's never done that in the prior three years. I'm totally satisfied with the AC now and not missing the heater core bypass I removed.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Awesome. I was at lunch two days ago and the truck sat in 95 degree sun for an hour. Got back in and had just pulled out of the parking lot when that "bite" of ice cold air hit my arm. I was shocked again as it's never done that in the prior three years. I'm totally satisfied with the AC now and not missing the heater core bypass I removed.

Thanks for updating and reporting your results as this is helping others with this issue!

Curious, did you ever take temperature readings of the driver's vents to left of infotainment stack and left of steering wheel?

I too live in Texas and the only way I would risk ANY dealership to tear down all of those dash components would be if the TSB got the temps down to ~40/41, like the Hack does. I know you said you're AC now performs good enough for you, but only way to know specific performance improvement is with temp readings on the left two vents. I really like this truck and plan to keep it for a long time and trusting that the dealer didn't crack any plastic tabs, seated all electrical connections fully and properly torqued all screws and nuts to proper factory specs is a risk that can bite you years down the road when warranty is gone. I doubt the technicians even touch a torque wrench for jobs like this. I also wouldn't have it done during the summer months when the technicians are working in warmer uncomfortable settings and sweating everywhere. LOL!

Kind Regards,
Louis

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too live in Texas and the only way I would risk ANY dealership to tear down all of those dash components would be if the TSB got the temps down to ~40/41, like the Hack does.

It’s not going to get that low. See post #480 with my pictures of temp readings.

Users who are viewing this thread